None
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7412 posts
864 upvotes
GTA
ar2020 wrote:
Apr 15th, 2015 1:44 pm
I now live near the one that is the Coffee Culture (Eglinton and Creditview). I remember it being a Baker's Dozen.

However growing up as a kid I used to live near the one on Hurontario and Mississauga Valley. It turned into a Popeyes chicken and now recently has changed into some other fried chicken joint.

I'm actually having nostalgia about Baker's Dozen...
I remember that one as being a high school after school hang out in the early 90s. It was a very smokey place back then.
When your mind says give up, hope whispers "one more try"
Never say never
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2014
4777 posts
1871 upvotes
sillysimms wrote:
Apr 15th, 2015 10:54 pm
I remember that one as being a high school after school hang out in the early 90s. It was a very smokey place back then.
TL Kennedy crowd I'm guessing? Intersting as a couple of my aunts and uncles went to TL in late 80s or so.

I swear in the early 90s Tim Hortons wasn't as popular and a lot of people still chose Baker's Dozen.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7412 posts
864 upvotes
GTA
ar2020 wrote:
Apr 15th, 2015 11:22 pm
TL Kennedy crowd I'm guessing? Intersting as a couple of my aunts and uncles went to TL in late 80s or so.

I swear in the early 90s Tim Hortons wasn't as popular and a lot of people still chose Baker's Dozen.
Yep, that was the crowd. I never went there much as I didn't like the smoke!
When your mind says give up, hope whispers "one more try"
Never say never
Banned
Nov 1, 2014
4317 posts
556 upvotes
Toronto, ON
HP_John wrote:
Apr 14th, 2015 5:07 pm
Baker's Dozen donuts were freshly made each day, not from frozen like Tim Hortons (Tim Hortons has a huge donut factory which makes them, then freezes & ships to stores where they are baked). Certainly a superior donut, but any donut shop not named Tim Hortons has a hard time surviving. When I was young, there were much more Coffee Time in the GTA then Tim Hortons, now they're almost all gone too. I know that these stores have to buy their product from head office, which is often overpriced, making it hard to make a decent living for franchise owners
that's the whole point of a franchise lol
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
14945 posts
2868 upvotes
Toronto
LandKing wrote:
Apr 16th, 2015 10:02 am
Yes but the beauty about the franchise is that it was a "Guaranteed sale" where head office would take back everything unsold and credit the store back...or the store was free to sell day olds for slightly more than the credits. (usually a dollar a bag)
Aug 12, 2012
809 posts
352 upvotes
Richmond Hill
The last time I was in a Baker's Dozen shop, you were allowed to smoke in restaurants. Back then, most donuts from these kind of coffee shops tasted like old smoke to me.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
5177 posts
994 upvotes
LandKing wrote:
Apr 16th, 2015 10:02 am
Some franchises charge reasonable markups on products to their franchisee, some charge exorbitant markups. In the case of Baker's Dozen, I was told the markups made it too costly. For example, many food operators try to keep food cost to 1/3 of what the selling price is (example, product costs franchisee $1, franchisee sells for $3). Many of the products Baker's Dozen head office sold to franchisees were at 1/2 (example, product costs franchisee, franchisee sells for $2), making it very hard to make a living.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
14945 posts
2868 upvotes
Toronto
Soon we'll all be asking WTH happened to Coffee time.
In Toronto: Victoria Park & Danforth, Birchmount & Lawrence, Eglinton Square mall, and various other locations all gone in such a short time. (Except Eglinton square-that was a good 4 or 5 years ago-closed as TH moved into the same food court there)
Sep 26, 2016
1 posts
there are a few left one on lakeshore in mimico i hate the place its a bunch of adult preschoolers hang out there the coffee tastes like GAS and well dounts are brought in around 8pm for next day claiming fresh yep way to go
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
41566 posts
5204 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
AndreaH309 wrote:there are a few left one on lakeshore in mimico i hate the place its a bunch of adult preschoolers hang out there the coffee tastes like GAS and well dounts are brought in around 8pm for next day claiming fresh yep way to go
Wow.... Perhaps politically incorrect, but Great way to describe it...
My local coffee time is the same. Its strange to see all these adults there all day & night... They don't seem to work. I see the same 10 people or so with tattered or soiled clothing. They probably arent homeless...perhaps on disability or assistance. There are a few group homes and subsidized housing in the area...
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
14945 posts
2868 upvotes
Toronto
Baker's dozen @ Sherbourne & Wellesley was forced out by developers that shut the gas station down in favour of a condo development.
Just down the street a nice alternative to the Tim Horton's etc out there is Red Rocket coffee, but there's no donuts there...just a nice coffee alternative.
Soon there will be a Java hut @ the Petro Canada...too many coffee places to make it worth the bother to reopen a Bakers dozen when they finally get around to
building the condo there... (there's also coffee @ the Becker's in the area, if desired...)
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3088 posts
1056 upvotes
they're some stores left for sure, i just saw someone post them on my Facebook, was in bowmanville