Shopping Discussion

WTS a bike on classified list sites, how to prevent fake buyers from riding off with the bike during testing?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 15th, 2020 2:46 am
[OP]
Mar 24, 2017
123 posts
20 upvotes

WTS a bike on classified list sites, how to prevent fake buyers from riding off with the bike during testing?

Can't find the right subforum for this. There's a shopping discussion section but no selling discussion, and the trading section doesn't look like a place to ask for advice. Off-topic section looks like political and news talk, so I will try here.

Money's getting tough, and I am trying to see if I can sell off my belongings at this time to stay afloat.
I want to sell my old bike on classified listings like Craig's list, how to prevent fake buyers from riding off with the bike during testing?
Do independent sales still happen at all on Craig's list during the lockdown? Any tips for staying safe would be appreciated.
18 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
10590 posts
12771 upvotes
Vancouver
I hear ya. It's a terrible time for private face-to-face commerce, but if you've lost your job and need to sell your stuff to keep your head above water, what can you do?
If they show up in a car, ask to hold on to their car keys. Or driver's licence.
Last edited by Kiraly on Apr 13th, 2020 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15957 posts
17196 upvotes
Oakville
AccountID wrote: Can't find the right subforum for this. There's a shopping discussion section but no selling discussion, and the trading section doesn't look like a place to ask for advice. Off-topic section looks like political and news talk, so I will try here.

Money's getting tough, and I am trying to see if I can sell off my belongings at this time to stay afloat.
I want to sell my old bike on classified listings like Craig's list, how to prevent fake buyers from riding off with the bike during testing?
Do independent sales still happen at all on Craig's list during the lockdown? Any tips for staying safe would be appreciated.
Full cash deposit before handing it over.
[OP]
Mar 24, 2017
123 posts
20 upvotes
Sound advice, I will give these a try. Wonder if any one will even respond to classified postings at this time, wish me luck.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15957 posts
17196 upvotes
Oakville
AccountID wrote: Sound advice, I will give these a try. Wonder if any one will even respond to classified postings at this time, wish me luck.
Just make sure to clean the money and your hands when you do. No reason to be overly scared. I guess stay 2M apart too. A real or DIY mask wouldn't hurt.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15863 posts
13083 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
All of the above ...

Plus the sage old advice when it comes to Craig’s List / Kijiji etc

Do the transaction at a Police Station. That always will weed out the wheat from the chaff
(Last place a scammer / criminal want to be is a Police Station on surveillance video )

Many Police Stations have set up facilities for these transactions ... like this one in Peel Region (watch the YouTube video too )

https://www.peelpolice.ca/en/in-the-com ... zones.aspx
[OP]
Mar 24, 2017
123 posts
20 upvotes
Whoa, I didn't know you can use police station as a sales location. That's cool.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2018
1507 posts
959 upvotes
Vancouver
AccountID wrote: Whoa, I didn't know you can use police station as a sales location. That's cool.
Yep. Maybe it's not being publicized enough in your community but it's certainly always been an option. Some police stations encourage you to go complete your transaction at their station to ensure your own personal safety. Few years ago, someone was trying to buy a laptop in Vancouver on Craigslist. When he showed up, someone came with a machete and demanded the money.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/craigslist-sale-t ... -1.3155618
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15957 posts
17196 upvotes
Oakville
AccountID wrote: Whoa, I didn't know you can use police station as a sales location. That's cool.
They might give you a hard time right now though, since we're supposed to be isolating and kijiji isn't essential. Though it is for you since you need the cash. Cops aren't likely to be sympathetic to you.
Jan 22, 2020
49 posts
26 upvotes
I would say you don't need to test it... they're the ones interested in buying from YOU, the onus is on them to follow through with due diligence to the sale. can't you test its functioning in place?
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15863 posts
13083 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
engineered wrote: They might give you a hard time right now though, since we're supposed to be isolating and kijiji isn't essential. Though it is for you since you need the cash. Cops aren't likely to be sympathetic to you.
Cops aren’t gonna care.

Especially so if the transaction is done in the Designated Spots outside the Cop Shop

Now I hear, some Police Forces spots are inside the Lobby ... maybe then someone will care.

But hey ... just stay your 6 feet apart the whole time and you aren’t breaking any laws.

Person A puts down the cash on a surface, and steps back ... Person B picks it up

All good, just no customary hand shake at the end to close the deal.

No harm, no foul
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2007
1029 posts
534 upvotes
Toronto
Best time to sell a bike is once it's warm out and people are thinking about riding a bike. Dunno where you are or if you're in a position to sell other stuff first, but might be worth doing that while you can.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
13007 posts
2289 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Agree on collateral before meeting up. Bring a clear plastic bag to hold the collateral (dude dumps it in the bag, then upon return of bike, you hand the bag over - no need to touch his/her stuff at all).

I would meet at a shopping centre or something, where there's a big parking lot. Dude can ride around within your sight, so you know s/he's not doing crazy shizz with it.

I still look on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace, although I haven't wanted to meet up with anyone, but I have seen some items I've saved being sold/gone.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4286 posts
3716 upvotes
Toronto
Have a car so that you can chase them down if they ride away.

But if it's a $100 bike, no one is going to the effort of combing ads and setting up a meeting for it unless they're legit. They can steal these from people's yards and porches easily or cut off locks quickly instead.

An expensive bike is another matter...
Feb 18, 2019
514 posts
664 upvotes
You have to play this a bit by ear and on a case by case basis. Also, what site are you using? If using Kijiji, take into account how old your / the buyers account is. If he made a brand new account to buy your bike, be weary. If selling on PinkBike, look at buyers profile.

I bought a bike on Kijiji 2 summers ago for $1100. I met the guy at his house, parked my car in his driveway, and left my drivers license / cell phone with him while I went for a ride. Cash exchanged afterwards, all good. Seemed reasonable enough to both of us.

I then sold the same bike last summer for $1000. Guy came to my place in his work truck. Left the truck with me while he went to ride it. Cash exchanged, all good.

I also almost bought a bike on Kijiji but backed out. It was a really good price (kinda too good to be true), but guy insisted on meeting in a parking lot, by a bank, in the evening, close to Jane / Finch. Something about it just didn't seem right so I backed out. He was being so polite and friendly, it was like he was trying to lure me into a trap, lol.

For reference, if you visit a high end bike shop, they're generally happy to let you ride the bikes as long as you leave your wallet / ID behind the counter (I've done this several times with bike up to ~$2500, gave them my wallet and cell phone). If scammers really wanted to steal bikes, they would probably have an easier time just going to bike shops with fake ID's and such, as they ask for surprisingly little.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2007
1029 posts
534 upvotes
Toronto
Unclear if OP is talking about a motorbike or a bicycle.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
13007 posts
2289 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
I thought he was talking about a lightcycle.