[OP]
Dec 7, 2019
386 posts
251 upvotes

WWYD Old household things

Hi everyone

Just cleaning up the place and we have many older items including

Quite an old model Kindle
Sennheiser headphones - hand me down from a friend (used with landlines and has a pink and green cord)
A Wink hub (never used)
Lots of cables
Very old Nokia phones

I don’t want to throw them out, is there any use for these objects? Should I donate it to the Value stores? Or would these have to go to the landfill?

Thanks,
Sam
Be the change you want to see.
11 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4640 posts
2014 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Please don't donate to Value Village. They are a for-profit. Don't toss in the landfill either.

Post where you are located (town, or intersection of larger town/city) and I can send you a list of charity and non-profit thrift shops.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Oct 27, 2012
357 posts
275 upvotes
Shwa
i drop it off at the canadian diabetes association or call them to pick it up.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5562 posts
3324 upvotes
Sounds like it’s very old stuff that may not even be of value for donation (eg old Nokia phones). Electronics and batteries shouldn’t be thrown in with regular garbage. Most municipalities have an electronics recycling program.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
1731 posts
758 upvotes
Ontario
jookid wrote: i drop it off at the canadian diabetes association or call them to pick it up.
Diabetes will end up with maybe 2 cents on the dollar of what Value Village sells it for. They just front for Value Village, which cheapens the idea of giving to charity when it goes to a for-profit American company. Better to give to a real charity.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
2855 posts
1859 upvotes
Toronto
eager beaver wrote: Diabetes will end up with maybe 2 cents on the dollar of what Value Village sells it for. They just front for Value Village, which cheapens the idea of giving to charity when it goes to a for-profit American company. Better to give to a real charity.
Real charities might not have the resources to sort, label and sell cables etc. like Value Village manages to.

We thrift a lot for fun, and visit Goodwills in various cities when we're on vacation (really) and they're usually just bins of this sort of thing that you root through. With luck Goodwill sends the leftovers for proper e-waste handling, as I would hope Value Village does.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4640 posts
2014 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
torontotim wrote: Real charities might not have the resources to sort, label and sell cables etc. like Value Village manages to.
I dispute that. The local ones here manage well, though some a lot better than others.
We thrift a lot for fun, and visit Goodwills in various cities when we're on vacation (really) and they're usually just bins of this sort of thing that you root through. With luck Goodwill sends the leftovers for proper e-waste handling, as I would hope Value Village does.
Salvation Army is equally good. They have a national recycling programme.

https://thriftstore.ca/node/389
[OP]
Dec 7, 2019
386 posts
251 upvotes
fdl wrote: Sounds like it’s very old stuff that may not even be of value for donation (eg old Nokia phones). Electronics and batteries shouldn’t be thrown in with regular garbage. Most municipalities have an electronics recycling program.

Yes wondering if anyone wants sennheiser headphones for landlines anymore. If no one does I would recycle them responsibly.

Thanks,
Sam
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4640 posts
2014 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Just give stuff that works to the thrift shop. They don;t want to dispose of junk (you can give the non-functioning and broken stuff to VV).
[OP]
Dec 7, 2019
386 posts
251 upvotes
Ok thanks thriftshopper
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2005
1604 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto
thriftshopper wrote: Please don't donate to Value Village. They are a for-profit. Don't toss in the landfill either.

Post where you are located (town, or intersection of larger town/city) and I can send you a list of charity and non-profit thrift shops.
I actually don't mind donating stuff to Value Village. Since it's for profit, seems more likely that the item will be sold/used by someone else rather than end up in the landfill. Seems like a win to me.