WWYD? Walmart Grocery online order

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 3rd, 2021 5:49 pm
[OP]
Dec 12, 2016
18 posts
17 upvotes

WWYD? Walmart Grocery online order

A lighthearted post, though I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

One of the items in my order was ginger root. When shopping in-store, I usually choose a smallish piece that costs around $0.30. Online, you can only choose "Quantity" so I chose 1. When I got the email stating my order was ready to pick up, I was surprised to see that the total price for ginger root was almost $3. When I saw what I got, I was even more surprised... 3 pieces - one very large, one medium, and one small - totalling 0.542kg. This is probably more ginger than I've bought in the last year. The smallest piece, close to what I'd normally buy, weighs 77 grams.

When I went to request a refund online... well, I guess the first WWYD question is: Would you even request a refund?

Anyway, you have to choose a reason for requesting a refund. Keep in mind, "Other" and fill in your own reason, isn't an option.

Missing item? No
Damaged? No
Expired? No
Poor quality? No
About to expire? No
Unsuitable substitution? No
Changed mind, no longer wanted? No

End of choices.

WWYD?
13 replies
[OP]
Dec 12, 2016
18 posts
17 upvotes
Oni-kun wrote: Are you serious?
I said it was a lighthearted post. But why pay $3 for something I normally pay $0.30 for? That's 10x what I was expecting to pay.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
9272 posts
3599 upvotes
If Walmart had not refrigerated the heck out of it already, I would have planted it for amusement. I have had good luck growing the stuff from tubers stored at root temps in Asian markets, but refrigeration sinks it into deep dormancy if not kills it.

I probably would have picked "Unsuitable substitution?" because the shopper picked something ridiculous. No, maybe they were just following the instructions. "1 Ginger - sold in singles" is $3.10 and $5.45/1 kg so you are actually agreeing to buy 569 g of the stuff or nothing. They shorted you by an ounce, by their math.

It is worthwhile for you to return it because you needed < 3 oz & got > 19 oz & there is no way that you could have prevented this via online ordering. That is a defect in their system & they need to fix it. It is akin to expecting 1 bottle of soy sauce & receiving 7 bottles. That is insane.

On "Unsuitable substitution?" - I have had them sub "diet" for "regular" and I am sorry, those are two separate universes of food, who does not know this? I only have to uncheck "Accept substitution" for every damn item on my order an wait for the page to update in between each time to do so to prevent this injustice. Get a clue, Walmart.

It is nearly impossible to get through to Walmart's IT people when you find a bug in their system, even when it costs Walmart real money. At one point if I ordered from the marketplace & from Walmart in the same order & the marketplace item was shipped first, I was not billed for the Walmart portion at all. I tried to report this repeatedly & ended up referred to the US call centre & all they could do for me was fight about whether my postal code contained a "zed" or a "zee". Then instead of billing me just for the part I had not paid for, they double-billed all of it & it took me 6 weeks to sort that out. The next time it happened I just reminded myself that Walmart was already aware of the problem.

I would definitely request a refund, but even better, for just PART of the ginger, the 465 g (more than a lb!) I did not want. Then I would watch Walmart totally screw that up too & write some comedy on rfd the next time Walmart came up.

Good luck buddy, thanks for diligently pointing out the bugs & helping make Walmart.ca a better place to shop. I deeply appreciate your sense of humour. Ginger: $2.95. Walmart.ca: priceless.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
9272 posts
3599 upvotes
alpovs wrote: What's WWYD?
"What Would You Do," it is a play on WWJD, "What Would Jesus Do." In the 1990's WWJD bracelets were big with Christians to remind people of the necessity to act morally every day of their lives.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15491 posts
12698 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
I don’t shop online @ Walmart
But I do at various other Grocery Stores
Is there not a field where you can type in instructions ?

If so, and you didn’t specify what you were after
I would think this is entirely on you

For example ...
@ PC+ Loblaws Group stores (various chains including RCSS, No Frills, Loblaws, Independent etc)
For Fresh Ginger, I would put into the INSTRUCTIONS FIELD ... looking for a piece around 75 grams (30 cents)

I find that when I use the INSTRUCTIONS FIELD ... and the clearer the explanation ... the better the online Grocery Shopping Experience
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
9272 posts
3599 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: I don’t shop online @ Walmart
But I do at various other Grocery Stores
Is there not a field where you can type in instructions ?

If so, and you didn’t specify what you were after
I would think this is entirely on you

For example ...
@ PC+ Loblaws Group stores (various chains including RCSS, No Frills, Loblaws, Independent etc)
For Fresh Ginger, I would put into the INSTRUCTIONS FIELD ... looking for a piece around 75 grams (30 cents)

I find that when I use the INSTRUCTIONS FIELD ... and the clearer the explanation ... the better the online Grocery Shopping Experience
No, there is NO INSTRUCTIONS FIELD to specify you do not want 589 g of ginger when you order ginger, which is not even a round 1 lb, which is why it is ENTIRELY on Walmart's stupid IT implementation. It is a defect in their system. 589 g might be great for the Desi community, but there are other people who buy fresh ginger & not in that quantity.

At Loblaws/Zehrs/No Frills the default amount is 210 g, which is still a lot, but only 1/3 of what Walmart wants you to buy at once & only $0.87. Still almost 3X what OP wanted.

Walmart is just creating food waste to push more product out the door. Shame on them.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15491 posts
12698 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
lecale wrote: No, there is NO INSTRUCTIONS FIELD to specify you do not want 589 g of ginger when you order ginger, which is not even a round 1 lb, which is why it is ENTIRELY on Walmart's stupid IT implementation. It is a defect in their system. 589 g might be great for the Desi community, but there are other people who buy fresh ginger & not in that quantity.

At Loblaws/Zehrs/No Frills the default amount is 210 g, which is still a lot, but only 1/3 of what Walmart wants you to buy at once & only $0.87. Still almost 3X what OP wanted.

Walmart is just creating food waste to push more product out the door. Shame on them.
Re - The BOLDED bit

At PC+ Loblaws Group

It’s “supposedly” the default amount in the computer for that particular store (average weight based on what’s in stock)
It’s the same way that PC+ Loblaws Group online grocery’s sell other items by weight ... like Packaged Meats, or other Produce items

BUT ... it’s still up to the Shopper to put notes into the INFORMATION FIELD if they want a particular size pkg or quantity
I tell you ... we do this all the time ... and have no issues with our Grocery Orders

EXAMPLE ... the default is as you say .21 Kg ... and it’s listed today @ $ 4.14 Kg ($ 1.88 Lb)
Then the price ON SALE this week is gonna be about $ 0.87
That’s still a dang sight cheaper (and smaller) than what the OP got & paid for

Personally, if it was me ordering @ PC+ Loblaws Group ... like I said I would just indicate that I was looking for a piece around 75 grams (30 cents)
Or ... PLS GIVE ME A VERY SMALL PIECE.

Now ... if it’s a case of Walmart not having an INFORMATION FIELD
Well then that SUCKS
And ya would IMO be a p!ss poor way to run an Online Grocery Biz

Just my 2 cents
And but ONE MORE REASON I don’t shop @ Walmart
[OP]
Dec 12, 2016
18 posts
17 upvotes
lecale wrote: If Walmart had not refrigerated the heck out of it already, I would have planted it for amusement. I have had good luck growing the stuff from tubers stored at root temps in Asian markets, but refrigeration sinks it into deep dormancy if not kills it.

I probably would have picked "Unsuitable substitution?" because the shopper picked something ridiculous. No, maybe they were just following the instructions. "1 Ginger - sold in singles" is $3.10 and $5.45/1 kg so you are actually agreeing to buy 569 g of the stuff or nothing. They shorted you by an ounce, by their math.

It is worthwhile for you to return it because you needed < 3 oz & got > 19 oz & there is no way that you could have prevented this via online ordering. That is a defect in their system & they need to fix it. It is akin to expecting 1 bottle of soy sauce & receiving 7 bottles. That is insane.

On "Unsuitable substitution?" - I have had them sub "diet" for "regular" and I am sorry, those are two separate universes of food, who does not know this? I only have to uncheck "Accept substitution" for every damn item on my order an wait for the page to update in between each time to do so to prevent this injustice. Get a clue, Walmart.

It is nearly impossible to get through to Walmart's IT people when you find a bug in their system, even when it costs Walmart real money. At one point if I ordered from the marketplace & from Walmart in the same order & the marketplace item was shipped first, I was not billed for the Walmart portion at all. I tried to report this repeatedly & ended up referred to the US call centre & all they could do for me was fight about whether my postal code contained a "zed" or a "zee". Then instead of billing me just for the part I had not paid for, they double-billed all of it & it took me 6 weeks to sort that out. The next time it happened I just reminded myself that Walmart was already aware of the problem.

I would definitely request a refund, but even better, for just PART of the ginger, the 465 g (more than a lb!) I did not want. Then I would watch Walmart totally screw that up too & write some comedy on rfd the next time Walmart came up.

Good luck buddy, thanks for diligently pointing out the bugs & helping make Walmart.ca a better place to shop. I deeply appreciate your sense of humour. Ginger: $2.95. Walmart.ca: priceless.
Thank you for your posts on my thread, and also your recognition and appreciation of the spirit in which I wrote it. Of course, what's $3? It's not a big deal in the scheme of things. But as you pointed out, this small, inexpensive scenario points out flaws, both in their online ordering and in their refund systems. Though I appreciate that they have a relatively hassle-free system for giving refunds, the poor choices they provide for "reasons" don't give them accurate feedback on the issues we as consumers face - Quantity incorrect, for example. Is that unreasonable? (Or, regarding another problem I experienced with the same order... there is no choice that reflects that the employee gave me the wrong item. Was it a substitution error (they made no mention of having to substitute anything) or did they just grab the wrong flavour off the shelf?)

I do understand the point you make... "1 Ginger - sold in singles" is $3.10 and $5.45/1 kg so you are actually agreeing to buy 569 g of the stuff or nothing." This is true, but what a strange way to identify/sell this item online. I really thought that when I chose a quantity of 1, I would get one piece. If they had given me a huge piece, but only one, I probably would've laughed at its giganticness but wouldn't have had an issue with it... the luck of the draw. But it was three separate pieces totalling half a kilo. Huh?

I just looked at the reviews of ginger on the Walmart Grocery site and saw the following:

-"Ordered one (says “sold in singles”) and ended up with a big bad [sic] full of finer [sic]. There must be 10 pieces. Not expensive but there is no way we can use it all."

-"we bought 2 items as it sold in single but they gave us 3.2 kg! that's too much for us!!!!"

Clearly I'm not the only one who has had issues with ordering fresh ginger and how Walmart staff are interpreting quantity indicators/"0.12 - 0.57 kg, Sold in singles, $3.10 or less." But hey, at least I didn't get 3kg of the stuff?!?!

Anyway, bottom line is I requested (and got) a refund, even though I got the product I ordered. If they don't provide a better mechanism for specifying how much of an item I want, or a better, more accurate system for refunding, then I'll accept what they give me, randomly pick a reason, and enjoy this ginger on the house, even though likely 95% of it will go to waste.
Jun 10, 2016
300 posts
207 upvotes
Brampton
I'm confused - if there was no spot for you to specify the amount that you wanted, how did you expect them to know? like what are they supposed to do in this situation? seems like a weird system that you wouldn't be able to specify the amount for something like this.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
9272 posts
3599 upvotes
BSK450 wrote: -"we bought 2 items as it sold in single but they gave us 3.2 kg! that's too much for us!!!!"
lmfao!!

Every time I turn up at Walmart customer service they sigh. They know I have a point but nothing is going to change.

Thanks for the giggles. I Googled "recipes that use 3 kg of ginger" but only got a few lists of a hundred or so recipes that use about 75 g each, max. The exception is maybe ginger + lemon + honey drink which you can make in large volume or repeatedly. Big both in South America & Asia & there are North American versions too. Great for cold & flu season.
[OP]
Dec 12, 2016
18 posts
17 upvotes
muscleflex wrote: I'm confused - if there was no spot for you to specify the amount that you wanted, how did you expect them to know? like what are they supposed to do in this situation? seems like a weird system that you wouldn't be able to specify the amount for something like this.
Exactly. It says "sold in singles" (which means...??) and the only way a person can specify any type of amount is their Quantity indicator, which is the same for every item they sell (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, etc). So I chose 1, thinking that would likely mean 1 piece of ginger root. It has worked for other things like zucchini. Chose "5" for zucchini, got 5 zucchini.