• Last Updated:
  • Jan 16th, 2019 5:21 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
1104 posts
392 upvotes

Wyze Cam - Fail to Connect

Purchased and set up 3x Wyze Cam v2 and 1x Pan. 9/10 times I can not connect to the camera. When I can, it loses connection in minutes, sometimes seconds. When connected, wifi strength for all 4 shows 90%+.

I get motion detection/recordings notifications no problem.

Anyone using these? with the same issues? I'm going to try disabling 5Ghz and changing the wifi channel after work.

I'm pretty disappointed in Wyze Cam. I had a Yi Pan and Tilt (returned due to hardware issue) but never had connectivity issues.
12 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
3911 posts
1035 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
These are 2.4 Ghz wifi cams.

Try deleting and go thru set up process again.

Update fw if need... if go online you can also downgrade fw to see if that helps.

Do find that the fw updates can cause issues so sometimes wait if happy with current setup and then try next update on one cam to see if works well. The latest update is first update where noticed opening app and viewing video [1..2...3] actually got faster.
Jul 25, 2008
864 posts
80 upvotes
Ottawa
what kind of router do you have?
setup in your router.?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
1104 posts
392 upvotes
georvu wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 1:12 pm
These are 2.4 Ghz wifi cams.

Try deleting and go thru set up process again.

Update fw if need... if go online you can also downgrade fw to see if that helps.

Do find that the fw updates can cause issues so sometimes wait if happy with current setup and then try next update on one cam to see if works well. The latest update is first update where noticed opening app and viewing video [1..2...3] actually got faster.
FW's are up to date. I'll try older FWs tonight.

Thanks
cf7777 wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 1:35 pm
what kind of router do you have?
setup in your router.?
Asus AC68U and it's pretty much default settings.

Edit - wasn't sure if it was an app (android) issue. Downloaded Tinycam and there still seems to be connectivity issues.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
3911 posts
1035 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
eclone wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 2:45 pm
FW's are up to date. I'll try older FWs tonight.

Thanks

Asus AC68U and it's pretty much default settings.

Edit - wasn't sure if it was an app (android) issue. Downloaded Tinycam and there still seems to be connectivity issues.
Try going thru set up process before flashing older fw. We're using fw 4.9.3.64 and wifi signal 97%.

Restarting router not help?

Go thru router settings... any settings that hindering connection... I doubt but worth a look... routers usually have voip setting but don't think for cams. Using QOS?

Try app on another phone or tablet. We are using on android phone and android tablet, stock app.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
1104 posts
392 upvotes
georvu wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 3:29 pm
Try going thru set up process before flashing older fw. We're using fw 4.9.3.64 and wifi signal 97%.

Restarting router not help?

Go thru router settings... any settings that hindering connection... I doubt but worth a look... routers usually have voip setting but don't think for cams. Using QOS?

Try app on another phone or tablet. We are using on android phone and android tablet, stock app.
Thanks for your help, @georvu

I've only got to update the router FW and set WiFi channel to channel 1 and seemed to have made a huge difference.

If issue persist I'll do a fresh start with the wyze cameras and dl the app on the iPad to see if it makes a difference
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
3911 posts
1035 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
eclone wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 5:51 pm
Thanks for your help, @georvu

I've only got to update the router FW and set WiFi channel to channel 1 and seemed to have made a huge difference.

If issue persist I'll do a fresh start with the wyze cameras and dl the app on the iPad to see if it makes a difference
You're very welcome.

Good to know about the settings that helped. Thanks.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
1104 posts
392 upvotes
Looks like I spoke too soon. Still having issues with connection. I'll try to do a camera reset and fresh set up when I get home.

My coworkers with the same cameras don't seem to be having issues. wifi analyzer doesn't show my area to be congested. Under 10 networks sharing channels.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
4884 posts
905 upvotes
Toronto
most likely a modem/router issue. I had a similar issue with a modem (from rogers) i had. It was a model where only a limited number of devices could connect to the wifi at once.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
3911 posts
1035 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
eclone wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 1:51 pm
Looks like I spoke too soon. Still having issues with connection. I'll try to do a camera reset and fresh set up when I get home.

My coworkers with the same cameras don't seem to be having issues. wifi analyzer doesn't show my area to be congested. Under 10 networks sharing channels.
yesstyle wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 2:05 pm
most likely a modem/router issue. I had a similar issue with a modem (from rogers) i had. It was a model where only a limited number of devices could connect to the wifi at once.
Try this before fw... disconnect other wifi devices then reboot router. In past I have simply rebooted router if one cam not connecting or unplugging and plugging back the cam.
Aug 19, 2018
336 posts
284 upvotes
eclone wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 1:51 pm

Hello, I think you should do some actual troubleshooting steps as following to find out what the problem can be:
  • Put one of the Wyze directly beside your wireless router. See if you have problem with it.
    - This should help you figure out whether your problem is a Wifi issue, or some other hardware/software problem. If it still can't connect, your problem might not have anything to do with Wifi signal at all.
  • Try a different phone if you have one. Or even tablet. At the minimum, try to reboot your phone.
    - It can be problem on the android/iPhone. A different device can determine whether there is issue.
  • Try connect via 4G/LTE instead of wifi.
    - WYZE can be connected through the internet. It does not need to be on the same network. I suggest trying this just to see if it makes a difference.
Overall, based on what you said, if you get a notification, that means the problem probably isn't on tye WYZE cam or the internet connection. Because WYZE require an internet connection to sent out notification. A problem could be on router configuration too. Possible firewall? But I think you should do those two just to narrow this down further to know where to focus next.
Oct 1, 2009
264 posts
67 upvotes
where are you connecting from? there are instances where it would not connect to wifi connections that require login/passwords
Jul 25, 2008
864 posts
80 upvotes
Ottawa
4 high band width usage unit. The 68u may not be setup properly to handle so many units plus others in the house.

try with one unit first.
, my suggestion.
the router upnp is on or off? wpa2? etc..is 5g and 2.4ghz separate or it is smart setup.
you might want static manual ip assignment for each unit.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)