• Mar 15th, 2022 6:31 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7215 posts
7710 upvotes
Vancouver

Wyze is changing the deal on free cam recordings

It's all a bit confusing so far, with a cryptic pop-up message in the app and this official thread on reddit: https://old.reddit.com/r/wyzecam/commen ... _users_at/

What seems to be going on:
  • Wyze is ready to start pushing the envelope on getting people to pay for a cloud recording subscription.
  • As of Feb 15, the current free 12-second event cloud recording option will come to an end.
  • They are offering to let people sign up for their new pay-what-you-want Cam Plus Lite plan that gives the same 12-sec event recordings, and even adds their not-so-accurate Person Detection.
  • They say that $0 is an allowed option for pay-what-you-want - for now.
  • You must opt in by Feb. 15, or you will lose cloud recording, and revert to event notifications with a single image attached.
  • Unfortunately the opt in process in the app doesn't seem to be working at the moment, but some people have managed it on their account web site.
  • Apparently V1 cams are being abandoned, but V2 and V3 are supported.

Likely phase II will see a mandatory minimum payment greater that $0 in the near future.
Thread Summary
Summary:

If you have been using the free Wyze cloud recording plan, you must opt in to the new Cam Plus Lite plan by Feb. 15, or you will lose the 12-second cloud event recordings. You will still get event notifications, but only with a single still image.

Follow the opt-in link, either from the app, or your account web page, or the email that Wyze should have sent you. If it goes awry, try a different path until you see the Cam Plus Lite subscription page offering verious amounts you can choose to pay. The Wyze site considers everything to be an ad blocker, so you may have to turn off privacy settings or try a different browser to proceed.

If you want to pay $0, choose "Custom", enter $0, wait a few seconds, and the Next button will enable to complete the process.

Wait for the other shoe to drop when Wyze announces that unfortunately they have to increase the subscription price.
146 replies
Dec 21, 2012
415 posts
743 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Hopefully this works for everyone. If not, please let me know and I will change the title to YMMV. I got an email from Wyze which is name your price for the Cam Plus Lite subscription. You can choose $0 and it will renew every month at $0. The Cam Plus Lite subscription gives you Person detection. Here's the link. Good luck everyone.

https://ablink.hello.wyze.com/ss/c/-06F ... WbgKy7V0GA
Last edited by whoace on Jan 11th, 2022 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2019
2348 posts
3088 upvotes
It's only person detection and still 12 second video. It's not Cam Plus where you have full video of the "motion".

This is basically useless. If there's motion it'll pick it up anyways...maybe "person" mode is "better" but still you'd look through your SD card if any issues.

Edit: I just read some other replies, and they will STOP the 12 second motion videos? If so that is really slap in the face to users. It's gonna be stupid if they just send a "picture" instead of video. WTF?
Last edited by simplypop on Jan 11th, 2022 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 7, 2014
91 posts
85 upvotes
ON
Doesn’t seem to work for me, might be YMMV but I’d wait for more confirmation.

Thanks for posting!
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
14993 posts
6545 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I have the legacy person detection on my V2 cameras and noticed a few days ago that my V3 cameras started to have the option enabled. I thought it was a glitch in their app but with today's announcement it makes sense that my V3 cameras now have the feature.
Dec 21, 2012
415 posts
743 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
juniorspank wrote: Doesn’t seem to work for me, might be YMMV but I’d wait for more confirmation.

Thanks for posting!
Try signing into your account before clicking the link. That's what I had to do.
Aug 26, 2005
584 posts
421 upvotes
From what I read, if you don't opt in, it becomes thumbnails instead of the 12 second clip on the cloud so it's basically forcing you into the lite option. Is this correct?
Apr 7, 2014
91 posts
85 upvotes
ON
whoace wrote: Try signing into your account before clicking the link. That's what I had to do.
Tried that, no luck! I’ll try again in a bit.
Dec 21, 2012
415 posts
743 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
juniorspank wrote: Tried that, no luck! I’ll try again in a bit.
I updated the link to use the exact one in the email before the redirect. Try that.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2005
5213 posts
2812 upvotes
GTA
I guess we don't have to do anything if we're already subscribed to Cam Plus Lite to stay at that tier?
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
17575 posts
9912 upvotes
Ottawa
agreed, not a hot deal. Probably a calculated step toward moving all users to a paid model. This step is like grandfathering existing users.
Please update your profile to include your city. It's helpful when you post about something regional ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
4374 posts
3648 upvotes
Ontario
This is not a hot deal.. this sounds like Long Term change that will effect new customers possibly old customers and new cameras in the long run...

You should take this as a warning....
---
Sep 10, 2015
382 posts
296 upvotes
Brampton, ON
Found this grid someone put together if it helps
Images
  • 5FE991B3-4811-49D7-AFE9-DCD60327C8EF.jpeg
Dec 17, 2018
421 posts
1311 upvotes
Toronto, ON
*Non-Doorbell Wyze Cams released before 2/1/2021 are eligible.

I believe this is targeted to the users who started to own Wyze cams before last Feb.
This is not new, they rolled this out last year before retiring/replacing the legacy person detection (beta) feature.
Screenshot 2022-01-11 205823.png
Last edited by kyoxxx on Jan 11th, 2022 9:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Jan 4, 2008
819 posts
376 upvotes
Mississauga
So what exactly does this mean?

I have SD cards on all my cameras, and no subscription. So I can see the 12 second recordings and if needed, I can go to playback and see anything at any time.

What's the difference between this and the cam plus lite?
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
10127 posts
3294 upvotes
Just logged in and saw this offer. I think its a tactic to free your their cloud storage.

I use my Wyze in my condo while I’m away long term. I get the odd shadow that sets it off so I’m not taking it.

As the other person mentioned it replaces that 12 sec cloud video. No thanks

If you want person detection may as well go for the premium. Package. Unless you really don’t value the current free package.
Autocorrect sucks
Mar 25, 2006
788 posts
583 upvotes
If I add a new wyze cam to the existing account, does it still get Cam Plus Lite or would it be just the thumbnail notification?
Oct 21, 2014
68 posts
610 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I got an email saying I'm getting free lite plus on all cameras as I have pro on 1.
I have 7 total around house.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
21014 posts
7353 upvotes
Toronto
Hmmm... I bought two V3 cameras last year, but never bothered to install them, so they're just sitting here unopened in their boxes. What does that mean for me?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)