Computers & Electronics

Wyze knew hackers could remotely access your camera for three years and said nothing

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 28th, 2022 9:25 am
37 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5909 posts
2223 upvotes
Space
What did y’all expect? Cheap cam AND security? Wyze only has enough cash for the cam Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
7156 posts
7137 upvotes
Disappointing but not surprising. It's a garbage product and the garbage company.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
7363 posts
8643 upvotes
GTA
I have 3 V2's, and my family members bought a few also.
I'm not too worried about personal safety/face privacy since they all point outdoors but we do show up on them occasionally. This is rather disturbing and this coupled with their charging for subscriptions has me now wondering if I pull out of Wyze products completely and maybe go Google. But is that any better? It's definitely not as cheap.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8939 upvotes
Toronto
It looks like I timed it correctly. I didn’t set up my V3 cams until Feb 2022. ;)

Seriously though, I have little confidence in this company’s security. Hell, I wasn’t even confident in my Synology’s security so it never had ports open to the net. Seems like my paranoia was justified, as Synology NASes were targeted by ransomware.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32144 posts
15425 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Lets hope the lawsuits come soon.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2007
5522 posts
3051 upvotes
GTA
That's pretty brutal. I've since moved on from Wyze but I do still have one V2 in use in my garage just so I can keep an eye on my vehicles/contents. Looks like I'll be swapping that out too soon.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
8929 posts
6615 upvotes
SW ON
EugW wrote: Synology NASes were targeted by ransomware.
Do you have more info about this?
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
3474 posts
2697 upvotes
Vancouver
This is the one of the main reasons, I run a wifi just for the "Cloud devices".

Garage Door opener & my Neatos refuse to work without internet, so they have their own segregated network. Everything else I have flashed so it works with my local Homebridge

On that QNAP hack, I just want to add that last year there was a vulnerability discovered in NetFilter. This is the base on which "iptables" runs. Which is used by literally every consumer level router.

While at the time, they said it only impacts local interfaces, but am not sure. It'd explain these attacks, where they got in through the NAT
Can't Stop. Won't Stop. Game Stop
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
8929 posts
6615 upvotes
SW ON
kramer1 wrote: This is the one of the main reasons, I run a wifi just for the "Cloud devices".
It doesn't matter for this particular vulnerability. They can get cam footage if the cam is connected to the internet no matter which way.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
12014 posts
4368 upvotes
Winnipeg
wasn't the reason for going wyze being that its an affordable half decent hardware you could hack and run opensource on it instead?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2020
8453 posts
6938 upvotes
v1 doesnt have the ability to flash the firmware?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2005
5701 posts
3662 upvotes
GTA
This is one of those exploits that likely wouldn't have affected 99% of users but the response was poor
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2011
2143 posts
2602 upvotes
Toronto
The_Professor wrote: That's pretty brutal. I've since moved on from Wyze but I do still have one V2 in use in my garage just so I can keep an eye on my vehicles/contents. Looks like I'll be swapping that out too soon.
Did you read the full article?

V2/3 is patched, only v1 impacted and even then the hacker had to be on your home network first and find the random camera ID to gain access after
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2007
5522 posts
3051 upvotes
GTA
BoredAtWork wrote: Did you read the full article?

V2/3 is patched, only v1 impacted and even then the hacker had to be on your home network first and find the random camera ID to gain access after
I did, it was a typo on my part, I have a V1 currently in use (and one more laying around somewhere).
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
3149 posts
1334 upvotes
Windsor
kramer1 wrote: On that QNAP hack, I just want to add that last year there was a vulnerability discovered in NetFilter. This is the base on which "iptables" runs. Which is used by literally every consumer level router.
Probably relatively few, actually. They all probably have netFilter, but it's probably decently rare that they run a vulnerable kernel for this issue to be a problem (5.4 to 5.6 or something). The bug became an issue in ~Feb. 2020 ... not sure how up-to-date routers are with their kernel, but I would assume most are quite old.

NASes OTOH? I could see them being a bit more aggressive with updates to gain fancier features.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)