• Last Updated:
  • Feb 21st, 2021 10:42 am
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 9, 2020
5 posts
1 upvote

x Box for dummies

Just bought an X Box console for my fiance. Really confused about how to purchase the games he'd like. Do we buy an X Box subcription or invidicual games? He'd like to start with the Assassins Creed games from 2017 onwards. Can you please let me know the pros and cons of a subcription vs the CD version. This is all new to me.

Thank you.
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
9005 posts
3309 upvotes
None of the Assassin's Creed games are currently on XBox Gamepass / Gamepass Ultimate (which is a paid subscription service).
Gamepass Ultimate is like Netflix. When a game leaves Gamepass it is no longer playable unless you buy the game digitally at whatever price it is after
it leaves GamePass or buying the physical disc and resuming your progress.

You are better off buying the Assassin's Creed games on physical disc (they are on blu-ray disc) instead of digital.
Out of the recent ones I think Assassin's Creed Odyssey is probably the best of the new ones, although the Ezio trilogy is the peak of the Assassin's Creed series.

With the disc versions you can buy the games used or sell them later if you end up not liking them. With digital, they are rarely on sale
and usually cost more than the physical discs.

Ghost of Tsushima on PS4/PS5 is much better than any of the Assassin's Creed games by the way.

Teadrinker001 wrote: Just bought an X Box console for my fiance. Really confused about how to purchase the games he'd like. Do we buy an X Box subcription or invidicual games? He'd like to start with the Assassins Creed games from 2017 onwards. Can you please let me know the pros and cons of a subcription vs the CD version. This is all new to me.

Thank you.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
3075 posts
3161 upvotes
GTA
Teadrinker001 wrote: Just bought an X Box console for my fiance. Really confused about how to purchase the games he'd like. Do we buy an X Box subcription or invidicual games? He'd like to start with the Assassins Creed games from 2017 onwards. Can you please let me know the pros and cons of a subcription vs the CD version. This is all new to me.

Thank you.
The 2017 onwards major Assassin's Creed games are:
-AC Origins
-AC Odyssey
-AC Valhalla (just came out a few months ago)

As XFactor11 suggested, Odyssey is probably one of the best AC games. Since your fiance only wants 3 games, I'd suggest trying to find them on disc as cheap as possible. Kijiji is a good bet. Out of the 3, Valhalla might be the most expensive since it is the most recent.

REALLLYYYY important detail, which Xbox console did you buy? Be specific as possible, because some don't have a drive to install purchased discs, so you might be forced to buy it on digital.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
10206 posts
2612 upvotes
Winnipeg
my recommendation is pay for the ultimate pass for a couple of months. then download and play. What you like..you buy... what you don't? You didn't waste as much money finding out.
[OP]
Nov 9, 2020
5 posts
1 upvote
Thank you for the helpful replies.

My fiance has upgraded from a X Box 360 to the X Box X, so there are many older games that we'll start purchasing.

I checked which Assassins Creed games he's missing, there are four, Unity, Origins, Odyssey and Valhalla. I was lucky to have located Assassins Creed Origins and Odyssey at EB games for $20 each, those two games are a good start.

We've never had a subcription before and we'll sign up when he has time off work. That'll give him a chance to try many games he's not familiar with.

I really appreciate your help.