PC & Video Games

Xbox Elite Controller 2 - is it worth getting?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 16th, 2021 8:12 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2004
1794 posts
297 upvotes
Mississauga

Xbox Elite Controller 2 - is it worth getting?

I don't play much combat / shooting heavy games, but did get AC Valhalla & Immortals Fenyx Rising on sales for the Xbox Series X. Would this controller be useful for those games?

Asking, as the price dropped to $200 on Amazon (feel free to post this on hot deals if valid). I currently have a Series X controller. Thx.
19 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
6685 posts
4799 upvotes
I have the Elite 2 controller and I would say it's not worth it - especially for single player games.
Jul 31, 2007
554 posts
394 upvotes
sabesh wrote: I don't play much combat / shooting heavy games, but did get AC Valhalla & Immortals Fenyx Rising on sales for the Xbox Series X. Would this controller be useful for those games?

Asking, as the price dropped to $200 on Amazon (feel free to post this on hot deals if valid). I currently have a Series X controller. Thx.
you dont need the elite per say, just any controller that has custom buttons to substitute L3 and R3, as those buttons are important in AC games and it's a pain in the ass to press them repeatedly on the base controller. Usually those custom buttons are in the back next to the triggers.

Ps4 has a back button attachment to solve this problem, sadly Xbox doesn't

I have the Razer wolverine TE which can be had for around 85$ during amazon warehouse deal events, it has 6 custom buttons, i use them for l3 r3 and the dpad 4 directions, this way you never have to move your left thumb (in some games you have to press dpad often while moving around enemies, this solves this problem).
Last edited by johncraven on Feb 11th, 2021 9:50 am, edited 4 times in total.
Aug 20, 2009
8174 posts
3105 upvotes
Grimsby
They are great controllers but I can't recommend these given their known durability problems despite high prices. I'm not rough on controllers and have been through 2 warranty claims and a few self repairs to boot. If you look online, you will see many others with these issues. Stick with the Series X controller.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2004
7755 posts
1175 upvotes
I'm a casual, not elite player, so I already know the answer
STEAM-XBL-PSN: CFRTim
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
6685 posts
4799 upvotes
CFRTim wrote: I'm a casual, not elite player, so I already know the answer
The question is: "Do you WANT to be an elite player?"
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2004
1794 posts
297 upvotes
Mississauga
johncraven wrote: you dont need the elite per say, just any controller that has custom buttons to substitute L3 and R3, as those buttons are important in AC games and it's a pain in the ass to press them repeatedly on the base controller. Usually those custom buttons are in the back next to the triggers.

Ps4 has a back button attachment to solve this problem, sadly Xbox doesn't

I have the Razer wolverine TE which can be had for around 85$ during amazon warehouse deal events, it has 6 custom buttons, i use them for l3 r3 and the dpad 4 directions, this way you never have to move your left thumb (in some games you have to press dpad often while moving around enemies, this solves this problem).
Thanks! For wired options, these might work as well:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08GNH53ZQ

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07ZL9G9HJ

But, I'm not a fan of wired controllers.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2004
1794 posts
297 upvotes
Mississauga
Redmask wrote: They are great controllers but I can't recommend these given their known durability problems despite high prices. I'm not rough on controllers and have been through 2 warranty claims and a few self repairs to boot. If you look online, you will see many others with these issues. Stick with the Series X controller.
Good point, thx. I looked it up. Due to the complaints, looks like MS has extended warranty from 90 days to a year.

https://support.xbox.com/en-CA/help/har ... 2-warranty
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2004
1794 posts
297 upvotes
Mississauga
9394 wrote: I have the Elite 2 controller and I would say it's not worth it - especially for single player games.
Thank you!
Jun 13, 2015
149 posts
67 upvotes
L'Assomption
They still have issues. Mine had the A button who would not register everytime and would stick. Returned. My friend’s series 2 seem to work fine for now.
Jun 28, 2018
245 posts
284 upvotes
Aurora, Ontario
I have an elite 1 I bought when I was heavily playing elite dangerous on Xbox, to the point that I was pretty competitive in PVP, and I’ve had zero issues with it despite 1000+ hours in Elite and tons of hours in other games.

I bought it for the increased precision of the longer sticks and also the ability to use extra paddles on bottom to control throttle in game without taking my fingers off the triggers. If you’re playing a lot of FPS or flight games I would recommend it as it has advantages in online play. For third person games I would switch to the shorter sticks in which case it’s the same as the regular controller just nicer feeling which I would say is not really worth it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2004
1794 posts
297 upvotes
Mississauga
DarekP84312 wrote: I have an elite 1 I bought when I was heavily playing elite dangerous on Xbox, to the point that I was pretty competitive in PVP, and I’ve had zero issues with it despite 1000+ hours in Elite and tons of hours in other games.

I bought it for the increased precision of the longer sticks and also the ability to use extra paddles on bottom to control throttle in game without taking my fingers off the triggers. If you’re playing a lot of FPS or flight games I would recommend it as it has advantages in online play. For third person games I would switch to the shorter sticks in which case it’s the same as the regular controller just nicer feeling which I would say is not really worth it.
Good points. Thank you!

I ordered one just now. Will check it out and see, as it has a full year of warranty, and Amazon has a good return policy for Prime members.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
3152 posts
797 upvotes
Vaughan
sabesh wrote: Good points. Thank you!

I ordered one just now. Will check it out and see, as it has a full year of warranty, and Amazon has a good return policy for Prime members.
Sorry late to the thread. I did a bit of research on this, before i picked up a series x. I found a lot of reviews, where people where having a lot of issues with these. One guy had 4 elite 2 controllers in one year.

Hopefully it works out for you. I was considering one of these controllers myself. But i think i'll just stick to the regular controller.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2004
1794 posts
297 upvotes
Mississauga
phuviano wrote: Sorry late to the thread. I did a bit of research on this, before i picked up a series x. I found a lot of reviews, where people where having a lot of issues with these. One guy had 4 elite 2 controllers in one year.

Hopefully it works out for you. I was considering one of these controllers myself. But i think i'll just stick to the regular controller.
Thank you!
Mar 8, 2017
125 posts
52 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
Is it just me or does anyone else find the XBOX series X Controller feels a little cheap? I dunno, but it just doesn't feel as sturdy as the PS controllers
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2004
1794 posts
297 upvotes
Mississauga
The Elite Series 2 was delivered today. It's well built, and I like the paddles at the back and all the customization options. I setup up A & B for the small paddles - I find this setup good for Assassin's Creed Valhalla. I may add more customizations later. So far, I'm happy with it after a few hours of playing time.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2004
1794 posts
297 upvotes
Mississauga
nickc9 wrote: Is it just me or does anyone else find the XBOX series X Controller feels a little cheap? I dunno, but it just doesn't feel as sturdy as the PS controllers
This Elite Series 2 feels sturdier than all my other controllers, including DualShock 4. I don't have DualSense, so I cannot compare to that.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2008
2511 posts
1611 upvotes
GTA
Since buying an elite 2, all other controllers feel like light plastic pieces of nothing but I wouldn't suggest buying one unless you want to be able to press certain buttons without taking your fingers off the sticks. I use it for FPS. Alternatively, learn to play claw.
Please don’t confuse my kindness for weakness.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2004
1794 posts
297 upvotes
Mississauga
moulamou wrote: Since buying an elite 2, all other controllers feel like light plastic pieces of nothing but I wouldn't suggest buying one unless you want to be able to press certain buttons without taking your fingers off the sticks. I use it for FPS. Alternatively, learn to play claw.
Yes, I've got to agree with you - The Elite 2's build quality is outstanding. No button issues yet. The paddles are incredibly useful. I like the tension adjustments possible on the joysticks. I've increased tension on my right stick for more accurate camera movement and aiming. Hopefully, this controller will last beyond the warranty period of one year!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2004
1794 posts
297 upvotes
Mississauga
Hello all, thanks for your feedback! I will update this post if anything breaks with this controller :)