xbox game pass question

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 20th, 2019 8:26 pm
[OP]
Sep 28, 2017
653 posts
421 upvotes

xbox game pass question

i was thinking about doing the 2 month trial of xbox game pass and just came across something that makes me wonder. so crackdown 3 is on it and a recent addition... looking at the description for game pass it says you get access to the campaign portion only. is that how it is with all or most of the games on game pass ?

i emailed xbox and tweeted at them hoping to get a reply, but i just got a generic reply saying "play new releases the day of release" and "a full library of classic and new games at the touch of a button". but no actual explanation of online play or anything like that. so do new games just have the solo stuff at first and they add it later or are some game pass games "edited for content" ?

anyone that is currently subbed to it can you chime in and let me know. i want to give it a try, but if online is crippled then it really doesn't interest me.
no matter where you go, there you are.
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8713 posts
3081 upvotes
You need to subscribe to XBox Live Gold play the online multiplayer portion of any games.
XBox Game Pass has all the upcoming Microsoft published XBox Exclusive games on there starting from around the time Sea of Thieves released.

After Crackdown 3, the only remaining announced exclusives are the next Forza, another Gears of War 5, Ori 2,
new DLC for Cuphead, and perhaps maybe one more Halo before XBox Scarlette (XBox 2 releases).

Current list of gamepass titles but throw in Crackdown 3 and Shadow of the Tomb Raider:
https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-game-pass-list

Games are also rotated and taken out of the XBox Gamepass lineup as new ones are put in (like Netflix).

Some Microsoft XBox Exclusives like Forza Motorsport 7 and Quantum Break are not in there partly because GamePass subscriptions started sometime
after their release.

If you've never signed up for gamepass you can get a month for $2.
Microsoft has not had any first party made "among the best games of the generation" type of exclusives this console generation, whereas PS4 and Nintendo Switch
have a bunch of them IMO.
Aug 20, 2009
8000 posts
2924 upvotes
Grimsby
You still need Xbox Live Gold to play multiplayer on top of Gamepass.

Some people think Gamepass is worthwhile, I'm of mixed opinion. There are maybe a handful of games I think are worth my time on it that I haven't played and many of them I can obtain cheaply anyway. I think the ideal scenario for Gamepass is someone who just bought an Xbox and has literally no library or other system to speak of. It presents good value there because they can try a bunch of first and third party games and probably get some mileage out of it. That said there are some huge gaps in genre coverage and quality is all over the place. It reminds me of Netflix when it first started streaming In Canada, lots of back catalog stuff with a few gems.

There are enough promo codes and $1-2 month things to give it a whirl yourself and decide though.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5447 posts
1109 upvotes
calgary
peytonpeanut2017 wrote: i was thinking about doing the 2 month trial of xbox game pass and just came across something that makes me wonder. so crackdown 3 is on it and a recent addition... looking at the description for game pass it says you get access to the campaign portion only. is that how it is with all or most of the games on game pass ?

i emailed xbox and tweeted at them hoping to get a reply, but i just got a generic reply saying "play new releases the day of release" and "a full library of classic and new games at the touch of a button". but no actual explanation of online play or anything like that. so do new games just have the solo stuff at first and they add it later or are some game pass games "edited for content" ?

anyone that is currently subbed to it can you chime in and let me know. i want to give it a try, but if online is crippled then it really doesn't interest me.
I imagine the confusion comes from this:
Crackdown actually has two separate SKUS one for its campaign and one for its multiplayer (called Wrecking Zone). I imagine you were just looking at the store page for the Crackdown campaign which probably says something along the lines of "campaign portion only" because the multiplayer is an entirely seperate download.

Both SKU's are free with your Gamepass subscription, however you will need an separate Xbox Live gold account to play the multiplayer because all online gaming is gated behind XBLG. Also you will need XBLG if you want to play the co-op online as well.
[OP]
Sep 28, 2017
653 posts
421 upvotes
thanks for explaining. i was totally confused about it... i did go into xbox store and search out crackdown 3 and it did show the two separate downloads. kinda dumb if you ask me to have it separate from the main game, i wonder how many other people wanting to play that game would just click on the download now and think it already has the multi in it and be like me all confused.

one other thing, so i have a 3 month XBL sub. i want to do the $2 2 month trial of gamepass..... if i don't choose to continue it will it mess with my owned games i bought digitally or any of the gold free games ? i had an issue when i tried PSnow with it deleting and reverting my bought and owned PS3 and classic PS2 games to no longer owned. it was like it sees those games and then sneakily stole them back once i cancelled PSnow. it was a whole ordeal to prove i bought them outright even though it showed on my transaction page and i had my receipt from my purchases.

have you experienced any issues like that ?
no matter where you go, there you are.
Aug 20, 2009
8000 posts
2924 upvotes
Grimsby
I've tried Gamepass twice, the first time when it reverted I had no issues with owned content or etc.

I've also used PS Now and had no issues there either, though its changed significantly since the last time I used it.