PC & Video Games

Xbox Game Pass: What you're playing, what you recommend, and games you're looking forward to!

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 31st, 2023 2:08 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
3881 posts
6226 upvotes

Xbox Game Pass: What you're playing, what you recommend, and games you're looking forward to!

https://www.xbox.com/en-CA/xbox-game-pass/games

I think it's probably a good time to have a dedicated Game Pass thread. There are so many games on the service (or coming) that sometimes it's tough to actually choose something to play. Of course you're going to have your flagship releases. But there are a lot of great games that tend to hit GP without being noticed. Some fly under the radar. Others are small indie releases that end up being fantastic.

I figure you all have mostly good taste in games! Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

What are you currently playing?
What would you recommend?
What upcoming games are you looking forward to?

Good time to share so we can all take a look, give those games a chance, or laugh at you for liking something terrible!

RFD threads for getting GPU for cheap

Have a look at this RFD thread for instructions on converting/upgrading XBL into Game Pass Ultimate. As long as it still works, it's the cheapest way to get up to 3 years of GPU.
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/microsoft-store-upgrade-xbox-live-gold-gamepass-ultimate-1-1-2290218/

Updated website with every game on Game Pass

You can sort it however you like. Genre, when a game is added to GP, Xbox/PC/cloud, critic score, capabilities like Smart Delivery or X/S optimized, resolution/framerate, etc. Useful if you're looking for something specific to play.

https://gamepassport.net/
Last edited by Caerus on Sep 25th, 2021 1:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
1515 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
3881 posts
6226 upvotes
I've been sucked into playing through Dragon Quest Builders 2 again. I put a ton of hours into the Switch version.

I'll probably take a break from it and check out The Wild at Heart. It was one of the new indie games shown at [email protected] a little while ago. It's coming May 20th. It looks a lot like Pikmin.

The Ascent is probably my most anticipated game so far. It finally got a release date of July 29th.

Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
10984 posts
2799 upvotes
Victoria
I seem less optomistic about than other people. I have it because I bought an Xbox One a year and a half ago. So I bought some xbox live then converted to game pass.

The problem is that I like hack n' slash, action, adventure, rpg, single player type games. Microsoft doesn't make a lot of those, and the 3rd party ones I would of played at release. Plus I use my Ps5 now which means I use PC gamepass more than I would use console gamepass.

The only games I've played on gamepass so far are Doom Eternal, Darksiders Genesis, Flight Simulator, and the new Forza. I am looking forward to whenever Fable 4 comes out. I think once the studios that MS bought start pumping out new single player games, maybe it'll get more interesting for me. So far its back catalogs of which I've played most things I want to play.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2006
3341 posts
2132 upvotes
Toronto
zod wrote: I seem less optomistic about than other people. I have it because I bought an Xbox One a year and a half ago. So I bought some xbox live then converted to game pass.

The problem is that I like hack n' slash, action, adventure, rpg, single player type games. Microsoft doesn't make a lot of those, and the 3rd party ones I would of played at release. Plus I use my Ps5 now which means I use PC gamepass more than I would use console gamepass.

The only games I've played on gamepass so far are Doom Eternal, Darksiders Genesis, Flight Simulator, and the new Forza. I am looking forward to whenever Fable 4 comes out. I think once the studios that MS bought start pumping out new single player games, maybe it'll get more interesting for me. So far its back catalogs of which I've played most things I want to play.
You might enjoy Sleeping Dogs. I really enjoyed it.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2009
2072 posts
1128 upvotes
I really enjoyed CONTROL on my PS5 and have seen it listed on my gamepass as well. Still need to finish but it’s creepy and fun to play, and ties in with another game that just gp Alan Wake
[external link removed]
Deal Guru
Dec 1, 2004
10504 posts
4016 upvotes
I don't mean to Rain on Your Parade, Just Cause I recently got SnowRunner into Gears but I was really DooMed for a while. I also Forza myself to Crackdown on GTA.
Looking forward to a HALO redemption later in the year
STEAM-XBL-PSN: CFRTim
Nov 30, 2016
329 posts
421 upvotes
Ontario
Just finished Outriders, started Just Cause 4, my first entry into that series.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2007
2528 posts
2021 upvotes
Etobicoke
I just finished Resident Evil 7. Haven't played a RE game since the original playstation. Really enjoyed it. Been playing MLB The Show. Great game.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5629 posts
2697 upvotes
Toronto
I'm gonna stay away from AAA games and try to give some love to the indies or smaller games for my recommendations...

Currently playing:
Rain on your Parade
Genesis Noir
West of Dead
Double Kick Heroes
Jurassic World

Recommended:
Outer Wilds
Donut County
Full Throttle Remastered
Carto
What Remains of Edith Finch
Dead Cells
Lonely Mountains: Downhill
Tetris Effect
The Touryst

Looking forward to:
Maneater
Control
Destroy All Humans
Steep
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2007
1162 posts
1036 upvotes
Playing Outriders at the moment, the campaign is longer than I thought...

Tried to play Prey but couldn't get into it for some reason, didn't seem very fun.
I also have Greedfall, Code Vein, and ReCore on my list

Will try Solasta when it comes out.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9435 posts
6875 upvotes
Toronto
johncraven wrote: Tried to play Prey but couldn't get into it for some reason, didn't seem very fun.
Most times when people struggle to get into this game at the start, myself included, it's because they go into it expecting a standard FPS game which it isn't. Once you stop trying to play it like a FPS, unlock abilities and more of the ship, the game is outstanding and a masterclass in level design. It's just a matter of accepting that you're not supposed to be able to just easily gun down and kill everything at the start and give it some time for combat opportunities and exploration to open up.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5153 posts
3430 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
I'm a former PC gamer, so i thought strategy game were impossible on console.

I tried playing Jurassic park and now Planet Coaster and I'm having a blast, especially with the later.

Controller really work well enough to fully enjoy building your park!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5153 posts
3430 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
NoFrillBill wrote: I just finished Resident Evil 7. Haven't played a RE game since the original playstation. Really enjoyed it. Been playing MLB The Show. Great game.
I stopped RE7 after 5 hours.

I was more terrified, afraid and anxious than having fun.

It's a really good game. Too good for me....
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5153 posts
3430 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
ReeGee wrote: Most times when people struggle to get into this game at the start, myself included, it's because they go into it expecting a standard FPS game which it isn't. Once you stop trying to play it like a FPS, unlock abilities and more of the ship, the game is outstanding and a masterclass in level design. It's just a matter of accepting that you're not supposed to be able to just easily gun down and kill everything at the start and give it some time for combat opportunities and exploration to open up.
Yeah, the first 10 hours i did not played it like an FPS

I was strategically moving turret from place to place to do the damage and killing!
Deal Addict
May 10, 2007
2528 posts
2021 upvotes
Etobicoke
vonblock wrote: I stopped RE7 after 5 hours.

I was more terrified, afraid and anxious than having fun.

It's a really good game. Too good for me....
I enjoyed it thoroughly, especially the chainsaw battle.
Nov 5, 2011
227 posts
196 upvotes
Than you OP for creating this thread. Game Pass is awesome and a dedicated thread is a great idea. Since this is RFD, I would suggest you add a link in the first post to the thread explaining how to do the Xbox Live Gold to Game Pass Ultimate conversion. This allows users to subscribe to GPU for as low as 5$ per month, and not everybody is aware.
microsoft-store-upgrade-xbox-live-gold- ... 1-2290218/
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1670 posts
719 upvotes
Recently Completed:

Control - The story is not as quite good as Remedy's earlier titles like Alan Wake or Max Payne but I really enjoyed the combat. You feel really powerful once you start unlocking some powers. The lead actress who plays Jesse is a real babe IRL too. Her in game persona doesn't do her justice.

The Falconeer - if you like aerial combat games like old school Crimson Skies then check it out. Unbelievable that this was actually made by one man!

Call of the Sea - Nice puzzle adventure game with an engaging story. Puzzles were hard as balls or maybe I'm just dumb. Reminds me of old school Myst and Riven.

Rain on your Parade - Short and sweet! Do you have a sense of humor? Then check it out.

Currently playing:

Just started playing The Wild at Hearts which released earlier today. It was definitely inspired by Pikmin so if that excites you as much as me then check it out. Due to the current 10,000 microsoft rewards points promo I'm trying to stick to quick and easy to complete indie games until the end of the month. So plan on finishing games like Narita Boy and Destroy All Humans. I'm really looking forward to playing Maneater day one but might hold off for a few days to complete some of these shorter indie games first.

I really would like to make a recommended list but there are so many great games that it's difficult to narrow it down. Maybe in the future when I think it over.

*Side note: I've been in touch with the developers of The Falconeer and The Wild at Heart. It's really quite jarring lol. But it makes sense when you realize that most of them are just like you and me, passionate about games while hanging out on the internet except that they make games too. Also helps to promote their game. I bought the DLC for The Falconeer just to support the devs.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
3881 posts
6226 upvotes
Yeah I've played through Rain on your Parade, fun little game. Also finished a couple of the others listed, like The Touryst, and Destroy All Humans. I ended up playing a ton of Outriders. Went in with no expectations, so it was surprisingly good. Endgame isn't anything special though.

Just about to start The Wild at Heart. Was looking forward to it since the [email protected] announcement.

The Riftbreaker also just got announced as a Day 1 Game Pass game when it releases later this year. If you're into base building & defense, might want to give it a shot. They also said it will have full mouse and keyboard support on XS. Looking forward to it, the game looks intense.

Aug 20, 2009
9198 posts
4561 upvotes
Riftbreaker wasn't very good from what I played on the PC. I had Defense Grid vibes from it and high hopes but it was a chore to play, I can't imagine it being much better with a gamepad either.

Right now I'm replaying Dead Cells and trying to finish Hellblade. I don't know what it is about the latter but I can't motivate myself to see it through even though I'm very close to the end.

I'm looking forward to Halo Infinite, hopefully it doesn't get delayed again. I do most of my AA and indie gaming on PC so I'm mainly on Gamepass for AAA releases.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2009
2072 posts
1128 upvotes
Early rumours right now is that EA will be day/date release on gamepass like how Microsoft games are released
[external link removed]