Jul 5, 2001
6825 posts
5290 upvotes
Toronto

Xbox One Design Lab - Design your own controller - $99

Now live in Canada at the cost of $99:
https://xboxdesignlab.xbox.com/en-CA

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I purchase an Xbox Design Lab Controller at a Microsoft retail store?
No, the only way to purchase one is from the online Microsoft store.

How do I build my controller?
Go to xbox.com/xboxdesignlab and follow the steps to start creating your custom Xbox controller.

How do I save my controller design?
Sign in to your Microsoft Account, which will allow you to save and access your design from any browser. Your design will always be saved, even if you clear your cookies. Learn more about how to use your Microsoft Account.

How do I share my controller design with a friend or on social media?
After creating your controller, you can share your design on the Xbox Design Lab Community Gallery, the Xbox Activity Feed, Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest. You can also share it via email.

How do I share my controller so that it can be purchased for me as a gift?
After you design your controller you have the option to share your design. If you would like to share it with a specific person, we recommend that you share your design by emailing it directly to them. Once they receive your design, all they need to do is add it to their cart and checkout.

How do I purchase a controller as a gift?
The best way to do this is to have the gift recipient design the controller and then share it with you directly by e-mail. Once they have done that, you can then purchase it for them.

Can I customise an Xbox One Elite or Xbox 360 controller?
Customised Xbox Elite Wireless Controllers are not available through Xbox Design Lab at this time. We are working with our partners at Scuf Gaming on future customisation options for the Xbox Elite Wireless Controller.

Will I get charged for engraving?
Engraving is optional. There is an additional cost if you elect to have your controller engraved.

Will I be charged for shipping?
There is no additional shipping cost for the controller.

I am unable to engrave the phrase or wording that I would like.
There are some restrictions on what can be engraved. All content must also follow the Xbox Live Code of Conduct.

Can I choose a different font or placement for the engraving?
At this time there is only one font and placement option for engraved text.

Can I upload my own graphics and have them applied on the controller?
Not at this time. Customisation is limited to choosing colour parts and optional engraving.

I did not receive an order confirmation. How do I know if my order went through?
Go to www.microsoftstore.com and sign in on the top right with your Microsoft Account (same email and password you used to place the order). Click on Order History to see the orders you’ve successful placed. If you do not see your controller order there, then it was not completed. Please select your design and then checkout.

Can I choose a faster shipping method?
No, all controllers are shipped via the same shipping method. Controllers will start shipping in September 2016. If you place your order after the release date of the controllers, you will receive your controller within 14 business days of placing your order.

Can I change my design after placing my order?
Unfortunately not. Your controller starts to be created soon after you submit your order. And since it is customised specifically for you, no design changes are allowed once your order is submitted

How can I cancel my controller order?
Orders cannot be changed or cancelled once submitted.

Can I return my controller online or to a Microsoft retail store if I do nott like it?
Sorry, controllers cannot be returned for this reason.

My controller did not work when it arrived. What can I do?
Please take some steps to troubleshoot the problem. From there, you can resolve most controller issues or submit your controller for an in-warranty replacement.

My controller is not working. Can I exchange it at a Microsoft retail store?
Before attempting to exchange your controller, please take some steps to troubleshoot the problem. If this proves unsuccessful, please begin the online warranty replacement process. All warranty exchanges must be processed online.

How do I check the status of my order?
If you received an order confirmation email, then your order has been received and will be built soon. Once your controller has been shipped, you will receive another email with the tracking number so that you can track the expected delivery date.

When will I get my controller?
Please refer to your order confirmation email for the estimated delivery date. You will receive another email with the tracking number once your controller has been shipped. Controllers will start shipping in September 2016. If you place your order after the release date of the controllers, you will receive your controller within 14 business days of placing your order.

How do I check when my controller will ship?
Please refer to your order confirmation email. It will have the timeframe for when your order will ship.

How do I check the build status of my controller?
Currently there is no way to see the specific build status of your controller. Once your controller has been shipped, you will receive an email with the tracking number so that you can track the expected delivery date.

I just submitted my order and see that it is being shipped to the wrong address.
Please contact a customer service agent for assistance. You may be advised to visit www.fedex.com and create a FedEx Delivery Manager account to manage your delivery.

I moved to a different address since I placed my order. How do I change the address?
Please contact a customer service agent for assistance. You may be advised to visit www.fedex.com and create a FedEx Delivery Manager account to manage your delivery.

I received my controller and it does not look like the one I ordered.
Please contact Xbox Support for assistance.

I received a different controller than what I ordered.
Please contact Xbox Warranty Support to validate your original order. Your controller will be replaced if it doesn’t match the original order.

Are there interchangeable parts available for the Design Lab Controller?
No, the parts are standard and are not interchangeable. If you want an Xbox controller with interchangeable parts, you should check out the Xbox Elite Controller at the Microsoft Store.

Can I purchase interchangeable/additional parts for my controller?
No, additional or spare parts are not available for purchase for the Design Lab Controller. If you want an Xbox controller with interchangeable parts, you should check out the Xbox Elite Controller at the Microsoft Store.

I’ve been charged for my controller, but I have not received a shipping tracking number.

You were charged for your controller at the time it began to be built. It can take up to two weeks between that time and when you will receive a tracking number. You will receive an email with the tracking number once your controller ships.
12 replies
Aug 20, 2009
8294 posts
3244 upvotes
Wow that's pretty cool. Just changing colors around but at least you can sort make it your own. Too bad you can't get them to do custom decals or something based on PNGs.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6884 posts
5797 upvotes
Burlington
For 50-60, hot deal.
Or 100 for the elite controler

Too expensive for some extra paints
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
4614 posts
1528 upvotes
Toronto
konsensei wrote: For 50-60, hot deal.
Or 100 for the elite controler

Too expensive for some extra paints
I agree, it's pricey... but you're saying that they should offer customized controllers at under the current retail price of their regular/elite controllers. Hmm...
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Nov 1, 2005
984 posts
109 upvotes
Phil Spencer tweeted today that they've sold 1 million elite controllers. That's insane!
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2015
2500 posts
1062 upvotes
Montreal, QC
M1GOmigs wrote: I agree, it's pricey... but you're saying that they should offer customized controllers at under the current retail price of their regular/elite controllers. Hmm...
maybe a 10-15 dollar premium to get it customize but $100 is way too expensive
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
991 upvotes
Vaughan
JuGGERNAUT wrote: Phil Spencer tweeted today that they've sold 1 million elite controllers. That's insane!
That's depressing.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
6825 posts
5290 upvotes
Toronto
sumtimw0ng wrote: maybe a 10-15 dollar premium to get it customize but $100 is way too expensive
Most products that (I've seen) that offer customization cost more than a premium of $10-15. Not to mention, regular Xbox One controllers (w/o BT) go for $50-70, so it's really "only" a premium of $30.
Aug 20, 2009
8294 posts
3244 upvotes
Yeah I don't think the price is unreasonable either, its intended for people who will pay a bit more to get some personalization.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2011
2360 posts
4064 upvotes
Windsor
Should have the option to upload your JPGs to be printed around the center.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 30, 2003
7686 posts
1374 upvotes
Toronto
mymuro wrote: Should have the option to upload your JPGs to be printed around the center.
That woild be asking for trouble as you will get into copyright infringements.

Didn't know this was new as I saw these at the Microsoft Yorkdale shop a few weeks ago.
They had many samples and were e pretty cool.

I hope sony does something similar with their ps4 controllers.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
6631 posts
2740 upvotes
Canada
It's just like Oakley!!!

Anyhow ... I'd rather custom order triggers and such. :/