• May 7th, 2019 9:03 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
4483 posts
560 upvotes
Ottawa

Xbox one S vs X for media playback

I'm considering getting an Xbox one mainly for media playback (4k blurays, Netflix, Crave, Kodi) and was wondering; is the Xbox One X any better than the S for media playback? I understand the S can play 4k media (but not games in 4k), but does the X have a noticibly faster interface or other advantages?
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7443 posts
2127 upvotes
XBox One X loads and runs much smoother than XBox One S.

The XBox One interface is awful though IMO. There is still some lag when switching between tabs in XBox One X's OS.
Especially when passing through the Mixer and Community tabs.

I mostly use it to watch 4K UHD blu-ray movies more often than playing XBox One versions of games.

I won one XBox One X in the Doritos/Pepsi contest and bought another one to use to record gameplay videos next to my desktop PC.
I keep the other one connected to the main 4K HDR TV I use.

I posted a clip of the XBox One X interface I just recorded in 4K. Was testing out a new Avermedia capture card I bought and a 4K blu-ray anyway.

Some games on XBox One S are only 720p native resolution with framerate drops. Dead or Alive 6 being one of the most recent 2019 games
that are 720p with framerate drops.

The XBox One X does have a better wifi receiver than the PS4 Pro so apps like Netflix, MLB TV, seems to be smoother on XBox One X due to better wifi internet reception.
Although I usually run those apps directly from my 4K HDR TV instead of loading them through XBox One.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
8619 posts
1223 upvotes
Victoria
I've been thinking of doing the same thing. I currently have a ps3 and ps4. The ps3 is the dedicated system that is permanently in the living room. We used to use it for TUNEIN (to listen to our favourite radio station from Seattle), NHLTV, Netflix, Bluray, and on a very rare moon CD's etc.... Because of it's age support continues to be dropped for it. It's basically a netflix only device now. I do have the ps4 for NHL but we move it around the house so it's a little annoying. I was thinking of getting an XBox One just for a media box. I hear you can also install Kodi on it, which means I should be able to play anything off my network (whereas the ps4 media app has format restrictions).

I could probably settle for an S, but I've had this urge to replace RDR since finished RDR2 a while back. I heard they did a graphics upgrade for on the xbox one. I don't do 4k, so I'm thinking a One X might be overkill for that. Probably works great on the One S in 1080p?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5144 posts
857 upvotes
calgary
In terms of media playback I don't think there is any difference between the two systems, so stick with the S.

I have a Day One OG Xbox and a One X setup in different room and so I use both fairly regularly and from my experience I notice any sort of difference in OS Speed between the two, I think some people just convince themselves of that.

Gaming is an entirely different story though, the one X is a huge upgrade over the one S.
zod wrote:
Apr 16th, 2019 10:04 am
I've been thinking of doing the same thing. I currently have a ps3 and ps4. The ps3 is the dedicated system that is permanently in the living room. We used to use it for TUNEIN (to listen to our favourite radio station from Seattle), NHLTV, Netflix, Bluray, and on a very rare moon CD's etc.... Because of it's age support continues to be dropped for it. It's basically a netflix only device now. I do have the ps4 for NHL but we move it around the house so it's a little annoying. I was thinking of getting an XBox One just for a media box. I hear you can also install Kodi on it, which means I should be able to play anything off my network (whereas the ps4 media app has format restrictions).

I could probably settle for an S, but I've had this urge to replace RDR since finished RDR2 a while back. I heard they did a graphics upgrade for on the xbox one. I don't do 4k, so I'm thinking a One X might be overkill for that. Probably works great on the One S in 1080p?
RDR would be in 4K and than downsampled to 1080p so it would still look significantly better than RDR running on a One S.

Despite being almost a decade old that game in 4K is still a jaw dropper.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1803 posts
254 upvotes
North York
I have a One S in a bedroom that I occasionally play Xbox exclusives but otherwise mainly for media playback. Like others have said, it plays basically everything with Kodi except for my 4k HDR videos. That's ok since I have a Shield TV for that function in the living room.

It's also good for streaming apps like the standard Netflix and Youtube (both with 4k support). Also use it for streaming apps missing from Android TV like TSN Go, Sportsnet Now, CTV Go.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
3066 posts
1059 upvotes
spawn582 wrote:
Apr 27th, 2019 10:29 am
I have a One S in a bedroom that I occasionally play Xbox exclusives but otherwise mainly for media playback. Like others have said, it plays basically everything with Kodi except for my 4k HDR videos. That's ok since I have a Shield TV for that function in the living room.

It's also good for streaming apps like the standard Netflix and Youtube (both with 4k support). Also use it for streaming apps missing from Android TV like TSN Go, Sportsnet Now, CTV Go.
No, no, no. If you have a HDR TV, you should instantly rule out the XB1/X or PS4/Pro as your main streaming platform. Both Microsoft and Sony have made a conscious decision to force HDR spectrum whenever the Netflix or Amazon Prime Video apps are on. This results in non-HDR colours being washed out with awful banding.
ConsoleWatcher wrote:
Apr 14th, 2019 5:06 pm
I'm considering getting an Xbox one mainly for media playback (4k blurays, Netflix, Crave, Kodi) and was wondering; is the Xbox One X any better than the S for media playback? I understand the S can play 4k media (but not games in 4k), but does the X have a noticibly faster interface or other advantages?
As for as playback goes, the XB1X renders UHD blu-ray discs better than the the XB1 S.