PC & Video Games

Xbox Series X graphic artifacts/glitches

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 18th, 2021 6:20 am
[OP]
Jr. Member
Apr 22, 2003
184 posts
76 upvotes

Xbox Series X graphic artifacts/glitches

These are some examples of the glitches I'm talking about. It's like random flash of colors on screen.
https://www.reddit.com/r/XboxSeriesX/co ... ch_on_xsx/

https://www.reddit.com/r/outriders/comm ... artifacts/
https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/commen ... _artifact/

Anyone else seeing this with their Series X?

I first saw this while playing the The Medium and thought it was part of the game. But near the ending I saw it again and it didn't seem normal.

So I did some searching and saw Digital Foundry mention they are seeing the same issue.

But now I'm also seeing this in Outriders too.

People are saying it's not a hardware but a software issue that seems to be related to Unreal Engine 4 games. But I remember seeing a Reddit thread where one person said they experienced the issue and got a replacement from Microsoft and haven't experienced the issue since. So I'm not sure it's really 'only' a software issue. I'm seriously thinking of returning the console at this point. I don't want to go through MS warranty later if it turns out to be a hardware issue. I'd rather wait until this get sorted out first and buy the console again (I might not be able to buy it again soon with the stock situation I know).
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 1, 2004
8087 posts
1627 upvotes
Looks like a game issue. I have played both games, and never noticed it
STEAM-XBL-PSN: CFRTim
[OP]
Jr. Member
Apr 22, 2003
184 posts
76 upvotes
CFRTim wrote: Looks like a game issue. I have played both games, and never noticed it
Hm if you played both those games and never noticed it that could mean my console has a hardware issue.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 2, 2012
2728 posts
3929 upvotes
I haven't experienced that in Outriders, but I don't know if I'd notice. I do have screen tearing sometimes, and textures load in slowly every now and then while looking at weapons and gear. But those are game related problems, not hardware based.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5594 posts
1253 upvotes
calgary
DinoSoup wrote: These are some examples of the glitches I'm talking about. It's like random flash of colors on screen.
https://www.reddit.com/r/XboxSeriesX/co ... ch_on_xsx/

https://www.reddit.com/r/outriders/comm ... artifacts/
https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/commen ... _artifact/

Anyone else seeing this with their Series X?

I first saw this while playing the The Medium and thought it was part of the game. But near the ending I saw it again and it didn't seem normal.

So I did some searching and saw Digital Foundry mention they are seeing the same issue.

But now I'm also seeing this in Outriders too.

People are saying it's not a hardware but a software issue that seems to be related to Unreal Engine 4 games. But I remember seeing a Reddit thread where one person said they experienced the issue and got a replacement from Microsoft and haven't experienced the issue since. So I'm not sure it's really 'only' a software issue. I'm seriously thinking of returning the console at this point. I don't want to go through MS warranty later if it turns out to be a hardware issue. I'd rather wait until this get sorted out first and buy the console again (I might not be able to buy it again soon with the stock situation I know).
I saw this in my playthrough of The Medium and was a little bit nervous about it because it looked like something that would happen when your GPU is failing but I have yet to see it in any other games (including Outriders) and I've been playing my Series X extensively so Im not too worried about it.
Newbie
Jul 29, 2013
63 posts
64 upvotes
Calgary
I saw it playing medium and attributed it to the game.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
9488 posts
4000 upvotes
It might be an overheating GPU problem.
Play some non Unreal Engine games and see if that problem crops up and if it does, take note of it.

I had to send a XBox One X in for a replacement under warranty and one of my PS4 Pros in under warranty last gen.

For the PS4 Pro, I was getting distorted video signal, even on the operating system menu (flickering or stretched video signal).
On the XBox One X, the GPU fried completely and I could not get any video signal at all (black screen on every HDMI cable I tried).

Microsoft sent a different unit back instead of fixing the one I sent in (different serial code).
For one of my PS4 Pros, Sony replaced the GPU and it has been flawless since.

At the time I had two XBox One X's (won 1 in the Mountain Dew/Kickstart contest posted here on RFD, and bought a launch model).
I ended up trading in the one Microsoft repaired to EB Games for about $240+tax towards the XBox Series X.
The other one I still keep around for the TV antenna tuner/PVR One Guide feature that is absent from the Series X.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 18, 2012
9914 posts
4657 upvotes
Toronto
I have seen graphics artifacts even playing games on Xbox Cloud! What do those servers use, Series X? I pressed pause and see it glitch in the background... definitely issues on their end
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 16, 2009
4247 posts
4440 upvotes
GTA
ManCaveGamer wrote: I have seen graphics artifacts even playing games on Xbox Cloud! What do those servers use, Series X? I pressed pause and see it glitch in the background... definitely issues on their end
There's no way... could they be? Most server farms are server class computers. I've used Nvidia's GFN PC cloud service, and on some games you can get it to run a query of the hardware you're running on. It would always return server hardware GPU and CPU designations. Despite it being a console games, I'm guessing their cloud service is the same way.

Was going to add OP, if you really suspect it is overheating, why not do something simple like place a fan right up to the system when the colour spots appear? That should eliminate or reduce them, then you'd know. Seeing those spots, I'm not saying it can't be hardware, but that seems like something outside the norm like the Unreal Engine, or even a display compatability issue.
c'mon get happy!
Member
Nov 7, 2015
212 posts
73 upvotes
SpicYMchaggis wrote: I saw this in my playthrough of The Medium and was a little bit nervous about it because it looked like something that would happen when your GPU is failing but I have yet to see it in any other games (including Outriders) and I've been playing my Series X extensively so Im not too worried about it.
I also saw this while playing The Medium. Was worried it was the Xbox going out on me... haven't noticed it on any other games though. Is it a game-specific (Unreal Engine) thing or shall I think about replacing the Xbox Series X through warranty?
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2006
3156 posts
223 upvotes
Newmarket
I've seen it in The Medium on my Series X...for my PS5 I don't notice artifacts but at times the audio drops out which is frustrating on cut scenes. It kept happening while I was playing Control.
Click Here to check my HOFO Feedback
Ebay Feedback
Moderator
User avatar
Aug 20, 2009
8458 posts
3454 upvotes
I actually had that issue on my Series X and had a heck of a time trouble shooting it. Turned out to be my HDMI cable, swapping it out completely solved color flickering. I was getting it in AC: Valhalla at the time.
Member
Nov 7, 2015
212 posts
73 upvotes
Redmask wrote: I actually had that issue on my Series X and had a heck of a time trouble shooting it. Turned out to be my HDMI cable, swapping it out completely solved color flickering. I was getting it in AC: Valhalla at the time.
I'm using the HDMI cable that came with the Xbox Series X. Thought it was high-quality HDMI 2.1?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 16, 2009
4247 posts
4440 upvotes
GTA
Shiznacka wrote: I've seen it in The Medium on my Series X...for my PS5 I don't notice artifacts but at times the audio drops out which is frustrating on cut scenes. It kept happening while I was playing Control.
OK so it wasn't just me... Control's audio was definitely weird for me too, it got too quiet at times
pureelite1 wrote: I'm using the HDMI cable that came with the Xbox Series X. Thought it was high-quality HDMI 2.1?
I thought the same thing, but I doubt that is the issue from what I saw. Usually the screen blanks out or flickers completely with HDMI issues. I've never seen a colour spots like that before. But that being said, it wouldn't hurt to buy another good HDMI cable and try anyway. Your cable could be faulty or damaged, and an extra HDMI 2.1 cable is never a bad thing. Also if possible, move the console to another TV just to eliminate that possibility.
Worth a shot before sending it in to Microsoft.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 29, 2011
4839 posts
2884 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
Played a bit of The Medium yesterday.

Got those crazy artefacts.

Coming from PC gaming, if it was happening on my PC, I would have freakout.

They really look like dying GPU artefacts. But yeah, I doubt every Series X GPU are dying!

Top