Expired Hot Deals

[Xbox] Xbox One exclusive: Phantasy Star Online 2 available starting today (Free-to-Play)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 19th, 2020 10:36 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 18, 2012
9577 posts
4405 upvotes
Toronto

Xbox One exclusive: Phantasy Star Online 2 available starting today (Free-to-Play)

Deal Link:
Retailer:
Xbox
Phantasy Star Online 2 officially launches for Xbox One in North America, PC release set for late May

https://www.rpgsite.net/news/9665-phant ... r-late-may

PSO2 has been long awaited for North America, and has been around for a while so it's pretty polished. Look for Phantasy Star Online 2 to download in the store on your Xbox One and start playing!

EDIT: Requires Xbox Live Gold
Last edited by ManCaveGamer on Apr 16th, 2020 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
16 replies
Jul 22, 2004
994 posts
372 upvotes
Montreal
Free to download but requires an Xbox Live Gold subscription to play.
Aug 17, 2012
399 posts
533 upvotes
Victoria
Played the original on GameCube years ago, combat was dead simple but still really fun. I'm glad that this is coming to North America but why 8 years later?
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2011
2886 posts
4944 upvotes
London, Ontario
The open beta started on March 17th and had full access to the game including achievements, plus progress that carried over and I don't even think the beta ended. I think it stayed open until today. I had stopped playing it because my best friend didn't download it because he hates betas due to bugs and whatnot and losing his progress except in this case he would not have lost his progress.

Note: PC version coming in late May according to Sega.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2010
3365 posts
1172 upvotes
Montreal
I assume there's a lot of in-game content to purchase for decent progression?
Feb 2, 2013
442 posts
386 upvotes
Salmon Arm, BC
If you have an Xbox Ultimate subscription, there are a few freebies for this game in the 'perks' section of the Ultimate app this month as well.
Feb 22, 2012
725 posts
2578 upvotes
Canada
Kynax wrote: Free to download but requires an Xbox Live Gold subscription to play.
Agreed. This is NOT free to play.

OP title should be changed and clarity added to OP
RFD: Pick any two.

1) In stock
2) Low Price
3) Quality Product
Dec 14, 2017
33 posts
49 upvotes
it IS free to play but you need a Xbox Live membership. They also have 2 Special Editions. They give you special "Nostalgic Gear" and perks but the base game is free w/ membership.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2004
1703 posts
3286 upvotes
Vancouver
I sunk hundreds of hours into the original Dreamcast game back in the day. Ahh... good times.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2008
1289 posts
541 upvotes
I played the Japanese version on and off for a few years now. For a free game it's fun but can get grindy.
Mar 30, 2008
353 posts
450 upvotes
Toronto
coolwasabi wrote: I sunk hundreds of hours into the original Dreamcast game back in the day. Ahh... good times.
Memory is a bit fuzzy now but I recalled the 56K dial up internet worked surprisingly well with PSO. Not that I had anything to compare except the original Diablo.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2002
9148 posts
5586 upvotes
Toronto
iBlackula wrote: it IS free to play but you need a Xbox Live membership. They also have 2 Special Editions. They give you special "Nostalgic Gear" and perks but the base game is free w/ membership.
I think you can argue either way but I'd lean towards not free, since F2P games on PS4 don't require plus.

I remember when Netflix on 360 required gold to access (double paywall), that was a downright travesty. Made me switch to PS3 right then and there lol.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2012
2144 posts
532 upvotes
Ottawa
interesting that they made it a XBOX exclusive while you can play it on switch, PS4 in Japan. I guess I will stick to the Japan version.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
1304 posts
224 upvotes
coolwasabi wrote: I sunk hundreds of hours into the original Dreamcast game back in the day. Ahh... good times.
I remember getting gear was quite fun. Not sure how bad I want to mess up those memories playing again as an adult lol.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28787 posts
9257 upvotes
audioarchetype wrote: Played the original on GameCube years ago, combat was dead simple but still really fun. I'm glad that this is coming to North America but why 8 years later?
Well depends on what you mean by 8 years. It did come out on PC in Japan that long ago, but never came out on Xbone at all previously. Also PS4 release was in 2016 (so only 4yrs) but from the other posts here doesn't look like the English version is coming out on PS4 here at all, at least not for now.
Styleman wrote: Agreed. This is NOT free to play.

OP title should be changed and clarity added to OP
iBlackula wrote: it IS free to play but you need a Xbox Live membership. They also have 2 Special Editions. They give you special "Nostalgic Gear" and perks but the base game is free w/ membership.
Well in that case, just wait a month and play it on PC. Xbone S is super weak anyway, it's basically equivalent of a DC i3 and something like Cape Verde XT or Bonaire PRO; so, being able to play it at that level or higher, should be doable for many ppl. For Xbone X quality, you'll need a GPU at least as fast as Ellesmere XT but that's not anything super high-end either.

This is assuming it's FTP on PC as well, and doesn't have an upfront cost to it.