Tags:
None
36 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2013
2732 posts
277 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario
Why the heck are they not releasing it on console as well this time? They don't like making money? I loved this on PS3, played the hell out of it. A sequel is an insta-buy for me. Seriously, did the first one not sell well on console?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9150 posts
6342 upvotes
Toronto
SuperDuperFox wrote: Seriously, did the first one not sell well on console?
It didn't apparently. I just read ~3 million on steam vs a bit over 100K on all consoles combined.
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2008
7269 posts
1313 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Games that are not 3rd person shooters or CoD doesn't sell too well on consoles.
Loved the other Xcom games, definitely picking this one up
Steam: SpectralMeat
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
8979 posts
2245 upvotes
SpectralMeat wrote: Games that are not 3rd person shooters or CoD doesn't sell too well on consoles.
Loved the other Xcom games, definitely picking this one up
Which is a shame but yeah, that's the market. I played Enemy Unknown on PS3 then Enemy Within on PC during Steam's summer sale last year, was a blast both times. Looking forward to the sequel.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Dec 15, 2014
204 posts
18 upvotes
Coquitlam, BC
I really enjoyed the recent versions but there were a few details that really bugged me that caused me to stop playing. One was the highly inaccurate shot %... somehow 90% shots nearly always ended up with 2-3 misses in a row. Aliens sniping me while I had high ground and neither of us moved was annoying. And the worst for me was not being able to sneak up on a lot of xenos like you could in the originals. This negated a ton of possible tactical moves and devolved my strats to just running in because it made no difference. It got too predictable that you'd move and xeno would spawn on the edge of your fog of war, then they get an extra chance to move away regardless if they actually would have seen you or not.
Oct 16, 2007
502 posts
134 upvotes
Awesome news! Thanks OP.

Very happy it's a PC exclusive too. They can just do more without having to worry about making it workable on a console.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2332 posts
513 upvotes
GVR
ReeGee wrote: It didn't apparently. I just read ~3 million on steam vs a bit over 100K on all consoles combined.
The only estimates I've seen are ~2.6m owners on Steam (Steamspy) vs ~1.1m combined 360/ps3 (VGchartz).
The 2.6m on Steam also includes all of the copies that have been give away for free last year. It may also be impacted by the free weekend the game had.

It seems a bit odd that they wouldn't release a console version (though they might eventually). I'm a little worried that this will wind up being an F2P game.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2009
2392 posts
461 upvotes
Totally love Xcom Enemy Unknown and Within. Unbelievable replay value and one of my favorite games of all time. I hope the Xcom 3 will take place in the Alien Homeworld. "Procedurally-generated levels". Awesome!

Man I wished they would team up with Bioware and create a turn base Mass Effect.
Banned
Dec 17, 2012
2084 posts
276 upvotes
TORONTO
It'll likely make it's way to console at some point, but I'm really happy this game got a second, even if it doesn't. Great game.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3755 posts
538 upvotes
Leuven
Snakemen!

It is surprising that they are not releasing on console as well. I thought they did pretty decent numbers there. No complaints from me though, the original didn't seem to be held back too much due to being released on consoles as well. Who knows if it will make its way there eventually.

Hopefully the base building and strategy side of things will be fleshed out more in this one.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
8979 posts
2245 upvotes
Pretty sure they'll release a console and tablet version in the future, probably just want to focus on developing on the PC platform first then convert it after. I'm assuming that's easier and cheaper to do versus developing the PC, console and tablet versions simultaneously.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2009
2392 posts
461 upvotes
This is going to be great. Procedurally-generated levels and modding supports. Need to really know what kind of modding they will be supporting. I still want my Mass Effect mods onto Xcom.

Aug 20, 2009
8968 posts
4228 upvotes
Awesome, this was one of my favorite games, played it several times and there are some great mods (Long War) for it.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2009
2392 posts
461 upvotes
A little too cartoony for my taste but we will wait and see. The modding and procedural maps should be interesting.

Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2013
2896 posts
214 upvotes
Pretty good, what I see is a control scheme similar to Enemy Unknown, which means hopefully they will include gamepad support.

I thought it was going to be a complete overhaul of the interface, but this looks basically like the same control setup.
“My biggest problem with modernity may lie in the growing separation of the ethical and the legal.”
-Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2008
7269 posts
1313 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
I didn't watch the whole gameplay video, but what I've seen it looked like whoever was playing using a controller not a mouse.
If I remember correctly in the PC version when you were ordering your squad around you could see the mouse cursor, if you were using a controller than no mouse cursor and the move point jumped from tile to tile exactly like in this video.
Again I did not watch the whole thing only the beginning so maybe they were using a m+kb not sure.
Steam: SpectralMeat
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3755 posts
538 upvotes
Leuven
Ahhh the article states it has pics of base building but I am not seeing any. Will be interesting to see what they do for the base building

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)