Tags:
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
21154 posts
23374 upvotes
Toronto

XFL thread

TSN has broadcast rights. Games start Feb 8. Who will be watching?

https://www.tsn.ca/test-1.1424519

Games are relatively cheap. $30US to watch the NY team play at MetLife Stadium
Last edited by sprung on Feb 4th, 2020 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Things changed now that I’m a father, I can’t live my life a quarter mile at a time anymore.
26 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
2221 posts
620 upvotes
Ottawa
Maybe out of curiosity I will watch. I saw a couple games from the original launch in 2001, no wonder it flopped and folded after one season.

Lets see if Vince McMahon learned his lesson.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
11810 posts
2351 upvotes
I'm going to watch. I watched the AAF... before it folded and there was some good football. The XFL is making a lot of changes the look really interesting.

XFL isn't doing the flashly, no holds barred, gimmicky stuff this time around like nicknames on jerseys and stripper cheerleaders. They are really trying the cater to fans.

Rule changes to speed up the play on the field so that there are more plays, but also it'll take less time like 25 second clock, out of bounds and drops don't stop the clock, less timeouts, no more coaches' challenges(but replaced with replay official who will over turn egregious calls),

And rules changes to make it a more fun product to watch like 1 foot simplified catch rules, player radios to all skilled positions, extra point is completely changed to no kicking and can be worth up to 3 points, overtime shoot out and the double forward pass.

Some of these rules seem a bit much, but it'll be interesting to see it in action.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
1556 posts
1862 upvotes
Scarborough
joeyjoejoe wrote: I'm going to watch. I watched the AAF... before it folded and there was some good football. The XFL is making a lot of changes the look really interesting.

XFL isn't doing the flashly, no holds barred, gimmicky stuff this time around like nicknames on jerseys and stripper cheerleaders. They are really trying the cater to fans.

Rule changes to speed up the play on the field so that there are more plays, but also it'll take less time like 25 second clock, out of bounds and drops don't stop the clock, less timeouts, no more coaches' challenges(but replaced with replay official who will over turn egregious calls),

And rules changes to make it a more fun product to watch like 1 foot simplified catch rules, player radios to all skilled positions, extra point is completely changed to no kicking and can be worth up to 3 points, overtime shoot out and the double forward pass.

Some of these rules seem a bit much, but it'll be interesting to see it in action.
Some of those rule changes are an improvement from how horrible the NFL refereeing teams have been calling in recent years. Though others don't make any sense logistically with all of the overload of uptempo. No play stoppages from out of bounds or dropped passes with fewer time outs. Players would be gassed by half time. How would they manage substitutions with a shortened play clock? What about injury time outs? So many things they overlooked there. They're going to have to make amendments in order for this league to not to look so amateurish. If they want to avoid ending up like their previous incarnation.

Plus having play stoppages add more appeal when a team is trailing and looking to score coming up to the two minute warning near the half or the end of regulation if they are short on timeouts which they are looking to reduce the amount of them. It adds for more suspense for fans watching to see how the offense manages ball control during a drive when they are short on stoppages like timeouts.

I'd like to see them add a kickoff attempt at an extra point from the kicking team. If the kicker gets it through the uprights from the kickoff point, they get an added point and the receiving team gets the ball on the 20 yard line to start their drive.

Also PI only 15 yards for all plays, not marked from the point of the foul which can end up burning defenses big because there is no guarantee that the receiver would have made the catch w/o the pass interference. I've seen some of the better receivers drop wide open passes this season.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
11810 posts
2351 upvotes
Strafe1 wrote: Some of those rule changes are an improvement from how horrible the NFL refereeing teams have been calling in recent years. Though others don't make any sense logistically with all of the overload of uptempo. No play stoppages from out of bounds or dropped passes with fewer time outs. Players would be gassed by half time. How would they manage substitutions with a shortened play clock? What about injury time outs? So many things they overlooked there. They're going to have to make amendments in order for this league to not to look so amateurish. If they want to avoid ending up like their previous incarnation.

Plus having play stoppages add more appeal when a team is trailing and looking to score coming up to the two minute warning near the half or the end of regulation if they are short on timeouts which they are looking to reduce the amount of them. It adds for more suspense for fans watching to see how the offense manages ball control during a drive when they are short on stoppages like timeouts.

I'd like to see them add a kickoff attempt at an extra point from the kicking team. If the kicker gets it through the uprights from the kickoff point, they get an added point and the receiving team gets the ball on the 20 yard line to start their drive.

Also PI only 15 yards for all plays, not marked from the point of the foul which can end up burning defenses big because there is no guarantee that the receiver would have made the catch w/o the pass interference. I've seen some of the better receivers drop wide open passes this season.
Even though the XFL was a failure, there are a few things the NFL stole from them. Skycam and Mic'd Up are both things the XFL did and the NFL copied them later. I could see the NFL using some of these rule changes should the XFL fold again.

Taking a closer look at the rules on their official site:

25 second play clock isn't so bad. NFL uses a 40 second play clock that starts after the previous play ends. XFL is bringing back the old NCAA rule where it is 25 seconds after the ball is set. NCAA now does the same thing as the NFL. XFL's rationale is setting the ball take roughly 7 seconds, so it's more like a 32 second play clock. AAF used a 35 second play clock and it didn't seem to make any difference for the players or the game. 3 second less might not be so bad.

2 minute warning will work like this: If the play goes out of bounds or incomplete pass, the clock stops like in the NFL, but if the play stops on the field. The clock stops with a 5 second run off. CFL stops the clock after every play in the 3 minute warning, which is cool in that the winning team can't just ice the game. But those 3 minutes feels like another quarter of football. XFL seems like a good compromise. No more knee downs or spiking the ball. It'll definitely give the losing team more chances.

One thing I'm not a fan of is the on side kick. Teams have to declare it, so that takes away the element of surprise. Without that on side kicks are virtually all recovered by the receiving team. I wish they took the rule the NFL could have potentially passed, but owners shot it down last off season. Instead of an on side kick, You can get the ball on your own 35, 4th down and 15.

Yeah, I don't like the PI awarding 50+ yards for a ticky tac call.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
1556 posts
1862 upvotes
Scarborough
joeyjoejoe wrote: Even though the XFL was a failure, there are a few things the NFL stole from them. Skycam and Mic'd Up are both things the XFL did and the NFL copied them later. I could see the NFL using some of these rule changes should the XFL fold again.

Taking a closer look at the rules on their official site:

25 second play clock isn't so bad. NFL uses a 40 second play clock that starts after the previous play ends. XFL is bringing back the old NCAA rule where it is 25 seconds after the ball is set. NCAA now does the same thing as the NFL. XFL's rationale is setting the ball take roughly 7 seconds, so it's more like a 32 second play clock. AAF used a 35 second play clock and it didn't seem to make any difference for the players or the game. 3 second less might not be so bad.

2 minute warning will work like this: If the play goes out of bounds or incomplete pass, the clock stops like in the NFL, but if the play stops on the field. The clock stops with a 5 second run off. CFL stops the clock after every play in the 3 minute warning, which is cool in that the winning team can't just ice the game. But those 3 minutes feels like another quarter of football. XFL seems like a good compromise. No more knee downs or spiking the ball. It'll definitely give the losing team more chances.

One thing I'm not a fan of is the on side kick. Teams have to declare it, so that takes away the element of surprise. Without that on side kicks are virtually all recovered by the receiving team. I wish they took the rule the NFL could have potentially passed, but owners shot it down last off season. Instead of an on side kick, You can get the ball on your own 35, 4th down and 15.

Yeah, I don't like the PI awarding 50+ yards for a ticky tac call.
Yeah, there definitely has to be a reasonable compromise regarding the play clock. Personally, I don't mind how the NFL does it. They've done some things right with cutting all of those commercial time outs that would drag on so long after a touch back. It's still not as bad as MLB with how long plays go from one to the next (that's a whole other story regarding the much needed pitch count similar to the 24 second shot clock in the NBA).

Mic'd Up was a good addition, though Skycam can be dreadful to watch when it isn't done sparingly. Just ends up giving a dizzying effect how it's going all over the field looking down. Harder to get a decent view of the plays going down. The standard camera mid field sideline view does it best to get all of the action going down during a play.

The stoppage rules in the CFL within the 3 minute warning have strong points and weak points. They do help for the dramatic finish for an offense to try to tie even when down by multiple scores very easily, though like you said; it does feel like a whole quarter of play going. Much like the usual last 2-3 minutes of an NBA game that is within 15 points with all of the timeouts being used and all of the intentional fouls going down every few seconds that end up in much more time being added with all of the free throws that have to be done.

Spiking the ball however, is a reasonable compromise that works well to utilize in place of a shortage of timeouts that gets the offense to stop the clock; while having to kill a whole down to do so. Which balances things out for the defense to have one less down in order to try to stop the offense from converting a first down or trying to score, depending on the case with how much time is left at that point. Sort of like with how the 10 second run off rule is used in certain situations late in game play.

The onside kick rule is just absurd. Again, like you said; what's the point then? It just defeats the purpose. Another suggestion could be a Hail Mary play shot given from mid field that has to end up as a touchdown to count. Otherwise, the other team gets the ball at mid field.

The NFL had been so tarnished with all of those ridiculous PI calls. They basically turned defenders helpless to even trying to defend themselves, let alone should they happen to just nudge a receiver even clearly appearing to be accidentally during the process of turning around to get a view on the ball landing.

Well, the XFL already failed once before from crazy ideas. The other leagues like the CFL, USFL, Arena League had all been bush leagues that could not fathom standing a chance on Sundays, Mondays, Saturdays due to NCAA football and in modern times, Thursdays. The AAF couldn't last. Now time will tell how XFL 2.0 will go this time around.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
1556 posts
1862 upvotes
Scarborough
sg2386 wrote: Maybe out of curiosity I will watch. I saw a couple games from the original launch in 2001, no wonder it flopped and folded after one season.

Lets see if Vince McMahon learned his lesson.
Don't hold your breath on that. McMahon hasn't even gotten pro wrestling (oops sports entertainment) right since killing off all of the competition, going public with the company on shareholders getting involved in partial ownership, thus turning it into the pg tripe it's been for so long. Lost so many viewers, including myself because of all that in the whole process. The guy is clearly a stubborn, delusional, senile, insecure egomaniac/megalomaniac that can't even figure out his own industry's market, let alone has the slightest of idea of actual sports. He killed pro wrestling, failed already at a hand in pro football, now wants to try his hand at it again.

No wonder his empire has been crumbling for these recent years with all the money they've lost from their insistence on going the route of complacency. Oh, and let's not forget him blowing that $100 million on funding those 2 failed senate runs his idiot wife was adamantly running for in their state. Neither wrestling fans or football fans are stupid like he and his family assume them all to be. He's a fool for doing such. Look at NJPW, AEW, ROH, NWA. They're all doing things much more right than he and his company have been because they understand what wrestling fans want, unlike him.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
12566 posts
2011 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
joeyjoejoe wrote: One thing I'm not a fan of is the on side kick. Teams have to declare it, so that takes away the element of surprise. Without that on side kicks are virtually all recovered by the receiving team. I wish they took the rule the NFL could have potentially passed, but owners shot it down last off season. Instead of an on side kick, You can get the ball on your own 35, 4th down and 15.
Don't be dumbed down by lazy commentators. All (legal) kick-offs are onside. They're properly referred to as "short kicks" (normally 10-15 yards), which differ from teams usually wanting to kick the ball much further downfield.

"Onside kick", when properly used, refer to punts, when it is standard that all players are in front of the punter before the ball gets kicked; hence, it is a rarity that players are onside when there is a punt.

With a kick-off, all players have to be behind the kicker (onside) when the ball gets kicked or the team is flagged as being offside.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
11810 posts
2351 upvotes
Strafe1 wrote: Don't hold your breath on that. McMahon hasn't even gotten pro wrestling (oops sports entertainment) right since killing off all of the competition, going public with the company on shareholders getting involved in partial ownership, thus turning it into the pg tripe it's been for so long. Lost so many viewers, including myself because of all that in the whole process. The guy is clearly a stubborn, delusional, senile, insecure egomaniac/megalomaniac that can't even figure out his own industry's market, let alone has the slightest of idea of actual sports. He killed pro wrestling, failed already at a hand in pro football, now wants to try his hand at it again.

No wonder his empire has been crumbling for these recent years with all the money they've lost from their insistence on going the route of complacency. Oh, and let's not forget him blowing that $100 million on funding those 2 failed senate runs his idiot wife was adamantly running for in their state. Neither wrestling fans or football fans are stupid like he and his family assume them all to be. He's a fool for doing such. Look at NJPW, AEW, ROH, NWA. They're all doing things much more right than he and his company have been because they understand what wrestling fans want, unlike him.
I think he did learn his lesson.

-Gone are the wrestlers doing promos for the game like The Rock hyping up the first game, WWF promo commercials, wrestling references like calling a team Hitmen and Jesse Ventura as a commentator. There's no evidence left of any type of cross promotion.
-Teams don't have stupid names like Maniax, Rage, and Xtreme, but rather typical football team names like Dragons (which seems to be use often as a fictitious team name in movies) and the most over used name in NCAA, high school and grade school: Wildcats.
-Stripper cheerleaders gone. Entertainment geared towards much more family orientated viewership. No politics. No criminal records. Everyone stands for the anthem.
-Rules that admittedly did make the game more fun to watch like 2 guys running to grab the ball instead of a coin flip and no fair catch rule were exciting to watch, but led to a ton of injuries. So no changes to rules that are there specifically for player safety.
-A lot of the rule changes were based solely on complaints about the NFL (and NCAA).
-Instead of 1 week getting the teams prepared to play, they had 3-4 months since the draft. That's going to lead to much better football.
-The first XFL ratings died greatly after the first few weeks, but if they were able to implement changes for year 2 (instead of NBA backing out after 1 year), then the league maybe had a chance. This XFL, the backers put in a 2 year commitment. So we should see many changes in year 2.

They still have low odds of surviving after that and even lower odds of ever becoming a threat to the NFL, but at the end of the day, these changes the XFL does could very well be changes in the NFL down the road. And that's a win for everyone.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
1556 posts
1862 upvotes
Scarborough
joeyjoejoe wrote: I think he did learn his lesson.

-Gone are the wrestlers doing promos for the game like The Rock hyping up the first game, WWF promo commercials, wrestling references like calling a team Hitmen and Jesse Ventura as a commentator. There's no evidence left of any type of cross promotion.
-Teams don't have stupid names like Maniax, Rage, and Xtreme, but rather typical football team names like Dragons (which seems to be use often as a fictitious team name in movies) and the most over used name in NCAA, high school and grade school: Wildcats.
-Stripper cheerleaders gone. Entertainment geared towards much more family orientated viewership. No politics. No criminal records. Everyone stands for the anthem.
-Rules that admittedly did make the game more fun to watch like 2 guys running to grab the ball instead of a coin flip and no fair catch rule were exciting to watch, but led to a ton of injuries. So no changes to rules that are there specifically for player safety.
-A lot of the rule changes were based solely on complaints about the NFL (and NCAA).
-Instead of 1 week getting the teams prepared to play, they had 3-4 months since the draft. That's going to lead to much better football.
-The first XFL ratings died greatly after the first few weeks, but if they were able to implement changes for year 2 (instead of NBA backing out after 1 year), then the league maybe had a chance. This XFL, the backers put in a 2 year commitment. So we should see many changes in year 2.

They still have low odds of surviving after that and even lower odds of ever becoming a threat to the NFL, but at the end of the day, these changes the XFL does could very well be changes in the NFL down the road. And that's a win for everyone.
A team name like Dragons may not sound wacky like those others they used in 2001, though it just comes across as one of those names a grade school or any b level leagues would have. They should use names synonymous to the cities/states they have ie. Seattle Emeralds would have a legit connection to it than Seattle Dragons which just sounds thrown together randomly.

I forgot they did all of that crazy stuff like having 2 guys fighting over a ball and no fair catch. Talk about dangerous. Getting players injured before a game or a drive. With all the CTE claims, findings and lawsuits filed against big leagues like the NFL, I don't think the McMahons would want to go that route again with how badly their business has been going for the past 15 + years. Hopefully they avoid all of that ridiculous stuff for the sake of the players' safety and health. Not that I'll be tuning in to watch anyway after what they did to the wrestling business from the 2000s onward.

Yeah, keep the political drama, notorious rejects from other leagues that are trouble makers to their own teams, divas, thugs, criminals, out of it completely. National anthems don't have any ties to professional sports leagues playing games of their own teams.

It has a purpose in international sporting events like the Olympic games, FIFA World Cup, International hockey tournaments, etc. Not professional sports leagues because these leagues carry out every year and play for most of the year, while those international tournaments happen occasionally every 4 or 5 years, some cases 2 years, some every year but just for a month or so and they have much more of a patriotic bearing to them on representing your own country, not some corporate made up team name from the city you happen to be playing in.

That way, by not playing the anthem on such a regular basis; it rids of all the protests, kneeling, fines, suspensions, drama out of it and just focus on the game that's gonna be played. Or if they have to play the anthem, then leave the teams to decide if they want to be present on the field to stand for it and if they have players opposing, just stay in the locker rooms until it finishes. Not needed because it's a political thing in this whole age of all of the stuff that's going on with those for it vs. those against it. That stuff shouldn't be constantly seen on tv during a sporting event people are paying to attend and watch.

Maybe this time around with ridding of all that previous cartoony stuff they were doing in poor, tacky taste, focusing on what people want to see in the teams playing and an actually entertaining product to watch with its own unique identity like what Canadian football offers, with people who actually have a background in pro football doing the commentary, clean looking uniforms without flashy, ridiculous looking logos all over like from those days, allowing the teams more time to prepare for the season to start, a professional overall approach and not trying to think about competing with a league as powerful like the NFL at this point anyway because that is not going to be happening; it may do much better in reception.

They have to keep the season short enough to start in the first year or two not to drive viewers away from getting bored, try to keep it appealing and not carry it out dragging the season longer than a couple of months because by that time football fans will be looking forward to the NFL training starting up.

For the time being, they should just focus on their own brand and not worry about trying to become the NFL because they have to first see if they can make it out of the first couple of seasons like you said to see if this league should be viable and promising by then to go somewhere. The NFL is the largest and most successful pro sports league in North America that unlike the other 3 major sports leagues, does not have any team that is struggling financially. All the teams are making a fortune of revenue for their owners and for the success of the league.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
11810 posts
2351 upvotes
joeyjoejoe wrote: Even though the XFL was a failure, there are a few things the NFL stole from them. Skycam and Mic'd Up are both things the XFL did and the NFL copied them later. I could see the NFL using some of these rule changes should the XFL fold again.
Another thing the NFL stole from XFL... The Rock as the hype man:

Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
10819 posts
7163 upvotes
GTA, ON
Watching a bit of the Seattle-DC game. I feel like I'm watching high school football.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Nov 12, 2014
848 posts
569 upvotes
Kingston, ON
The player quality is pretty bad...the rules are interesting, but the quality of play is horrendous.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
1556 posts
1862 upvotes
Scarborough
joeyjoejoe wrote: Another thing the NFL stole from XFL... The Rock as the hype man:

Apples and oranges. "The Rock" in 2001 had barely broken into acting when he was brought in there as the pitchman to the XFL. Fast forward to this last Superbowl. Dwayne Johnson is one of the highest paid and most money commanding actors, if not the most for the past at least 5-10 years in Hollywood.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8568 posts
2960 upvotes
How long will it be before Vince McMahon books Brock Lesnar to take on an entire team by himself
and squash them single-handedly for ratings?

chimaican wrote: Watching a bit of the Seattle-DC game. I feel like I'm watching high school football.
QN5252 wrote: The player quality is pretty bad...the rules are interesting, but the quality of play is horrendous.