• Last Updated:
  • Sep 8th, 2020 11:38 am
Tags:
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
11810 posts
2351 upvotes
Overall, I didn't think the quality of the plays were that bad. Sure the 3rd down conversions were pretty low (across the board), far too many muffed punt returns, WRs running wrong routes and some really bad throws, but they didn't get any pre-season games to work out the kinks. Honestly, it wasn't too far off from what you would see in the NFL in the pre-season. Adjustments will be made, players and coaches will get used to this new style of play and things will tighten up over time. The play was far better than AAF in week 1, but I'll reserve judgement until at least week 3.

What I did like:

Pacing was good. When I watch an NFL game on PVR, I would skip 30 seconds after each play and not miss any action. I can't do that with the XFL. The action picks up far faster and that makes for more enjoyable game.
Refs didn't ruin the game. Having that ref in the sky is a godsend.
Mic'd up everyone. Being able to hear the plays coaches are calling and some of the on field noises really adds to the game.
Sideline interviews. While most interviews where vanilla, it's cool to get the reactions right after a player scores a TD.
Kickoffs were a good thing. It brings the excitement back to kickoffs without the injury scare. I like that it isn't constant touch backs like the NFL.

What needs work:

The 1, 2, 3 point extra points. They should move the 1 point the 1 yard line. Make that more attainable. 1 yard line opens the door for QB sneaks. Right now, there's no point going for 1, when 2 points isn't much harder to get.
Coaches need to understand the rules better and utilize them more. Like, I don't think any team tried to do the double forward pass.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
1556 posts
1862 upvotes
Scarborough
XFL's Los Angeles Wildcats fire defensive coordinator after one game of existence

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/xfl-lo ... 56608.html

Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes What a joke. High school caliber football with generic-looking uniforms. Teams with names like "Roughnecks", "Battlehawks", "Defenders", "Guardians", "Dragons". This is just sad.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13216 posts
2564 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
NY-DC game right now. Cant watch this... Soooo mediocre. HS football is right. Face With Tears Of Joy
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Aug 21, 2010
622 posts
258 upvotes
toronto
thanks for the reviews,,have not checked out a game yet
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2011
2232 posts
340 upvotes
Toronto
Strafe1 wrote: XFL's Los Angeles Wildcats fire defensive coordinator after one game of existence

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/xfl-lo ... 56608.html

Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes What a joke. High school caliber football with generic-looking uniforms. Teams with names like "Roughnecks", "Battlehawks", "Defenders", "Guardians", "Dragons". This is just sad.
Poor Pepper Johnson. Remember him as a LB with the Giants way back and then on the Pats coaching staff. Fired after one game? Sheesh!
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
1904 posts
1817 upvotes
Strafe1 wrote: Teams with names like "Roughnecks", "Battlehawks", "Defenders", "Guardians", "Dragons". This is just sad.
sounds like esports team names
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
21150 posts
23369 upvotes
Toronto
XFL is done

https://www.fox5vegas.com/coronavirus/x ... 5f4ca.html

"The XFL is over.

According to ESPN, the start-up football league suspended operations Friday morning and laid off nearly all of its staff, with league officials saying they have no plans to return."
Things changed now that I’m a father, I can’t live my life a quarter mile at a time anymore.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
11810 posts
2351 upvotes
RIP.

Such an unlucky break for the league. They did everything right this time excepting timing. The rule changes made sense and made the game better and more enjoyable. It really was a solid minor league for the NFL in that already 14 players are signed to NFL teams. Maybe a few more might get offers and I'm sure a lot more will get invites to various training camps... and 1 guy who is eligible for the draft. Kenny Robinson who some believe he could be drafted as high as a 1st rounder to as low as a 7th rounder.

Sure the skill level was lower, but the games were getting better week over week. Sad to see it go, but at least it left a frame work of how to start a league a football league. Also I wouldn't mind some of the changes making its way to the NFL.
Nov 2, 2018
44 posts
30 upvotes
Vancouver
Rough week for Vince with XFL bankruptcy and Vice's latest episode of Dark side of the Ring where there's a possibility he was involved in a murder coverup. Only good thing for him is Trump named him one of the advisors to help recover the US economy, and no I'm not joking.