[OP]
Banned
Jun 19, 2016
34 posts
35 upvotes

Xiaomi Mi Pad 2 - $160USD

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original ... 98317.html

$160 USD if you get the gold color

this new 2nd gen tablet is comparable to the iPad mini 4, which is $399 CAD, so $160 USD (~$208 CAD) is quite the deal.

With the nexus 9 tablet being a dud, this is pretty much one of the best 2 Android tablet out right now (the other being the Samsung AMOLED tab S2, which run about $400-500+tax CAD, which is double the price of this tablet)

make sure you pay extra for the DHL shipping, in the shopping discussion section, the thread there says reg shipping takes over 2 months (sometimes even 3 months!!) due to the customs backlog, and Canada Post will be going on strike in July too.

edit:
canada-post-strike-july-2005157/
mail-processing-canada-customs-slow-711375/

over 25 pages of problems. if you want to avoid that, pay a bit extra for DHL shipping

google starbucks
34 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2015
1679 posts
1344 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Review linked and I absolutely love mine. No complaints at all, even at $230CAD.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19236 posts
2085 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
I have this. Standard shipping was about 4 weeks.

It's a nice tablet until you start using it. The apps crash like mad or the OS hangs.

I'm still trying to figure out how to root it and install vanilla Android if it's possible.
[OP]
Banned
Jun 19, 2016
34 posts
35 upvotes
Supercooled wrote: I have this. Standard shipping was about 4 weeks.

It's a nice tablet until you start using it. The apps crash like mad or the OS hangs.

I'm still trying to figure out how to root it and install vanilla Android if it's possible.

that was then, this is now:

canada-post-strike-july-2005157/
mail-processing-canada-customs-slow-711375/

over 25 pages of problems. if you want to avoid that, pay a bit extra for DHL shipping
google starbucks
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
1677 posts
619 upvotes
Toronto
FYI, there is no microsd slot. Could be a dealbreaker for some, as 16GB is pretty small.

The 64GB model also has dual boot option with W10.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2010
2754 posts
1092 upvotes
Ottawa
If you are going for Mi Pad 2, go a little extra and get the dual boot Win10/Android version. It cost more, but then you can use it almost like a real computer, with all the Win10 programs, plus it is 64gb rom.
Nov 21, 2012
663 posts
530 upvotes
Toronto
Is there or will there be an official dual boot version/ROM for the 64GB MiPad 2, or do you still have to go to the MIUI forums and follow one of those tutorials and hack to get it to work?
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2013
2073 posts
963 upvotes
Moon
Do these come with bloatware or nah? Google play store installed ? and personally i dont care about the delay for a few weeks with CP, if I use DHL should i expect customs charges? if so how much?

Koodo, Public Mobile, Lucky Mobile Customer
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
1677 posts
619 upvotes
Toronto
obscura wrote: Is there or will there be an official dual boot version/ROM for the 64GB MiPad 2, or do you still have to go to the MIUI forums and follow one of those tutorials and hack to get it to work?
There is an official one, released not long ago.
[OP]
Banned
Jun 19, 2016
34 posts
35 upvotes
kangarooz wrote: Do these come with bloatware or nah? Google play store installed ? and personally i dont care about the delay for a few weeks with CP, if I use DHL should i expect customs charges? if so how much?

depends on what its the value they put on the package, most sellers declare a lower value anyways

don't forget that lazy canadapost is going on strike, and who knows when they will end it, you are crazy if you want to wait 3+months for a tablet, just pay the extra $10 for DHL and be done with it.
google starbucks
Nov 21, 2012
663 posts
530 upvotes
Toronto
If it is dual boot, then I suspect it's ******** hacking the tablets to dualboot as I don't see any indication on the official Xiaomi site or MIUI forums of an official dual boot release nor do I see any of the other online retailers advertising a dual boot tablet.
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
1677 posts
619 upvotes
Toronto
obscura wrote: If it is dual boot, then I suspect it's ******** hacking the tablets to dualboot as I don't see any indication on the official Xiaomi site or MIUI forums of an official dual boot release nor do I see any of the other online retailers advertising a dual boot tablet.
Maybe, maybe not. Here's a review on the W10 build and decide for yourself.
http://techtablets.com/xiaomi-mi-pad-2/review-android/
Sep 21, 2009
456 posts
164 upvotes
weird, I can't seem to find the DHL option. Where is it?
If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee.
Sep 27, 2009
607 posts
124 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
How much r people getting dinged by dhl?
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26999 posts
4317 upvotes
chevyz07 wrote: Review linked and I absolutely love mine. No complaints at all, even at $230CAD.
holy white stains on sweatpants batman
Banned
Apr 19, 2016
435 posts
226 upvotes
DarkReaper wrote: FYI, there is no microsd slot. Could be a dealbreaker for some, as 16GB is pretty small.

The 64GB model also has dual boot option with W10.
How about ipad? Does it have?none buy ipad?