Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 26th, 2018 10:36 pm
[OP]
Nov 2, 2004
263 posts
141 upvotes

Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro

I'm very intrigued by the latest offering from Xiaomi. I'm interested to see how well this phone fairs in reviews. If the camera turns out to be above par, this might be my next phone.

Specs
5.99" Display
Qualcomm Snapdragon 636
64gb Internal Memory
MicroSD Card Slot (up to 256gb)
Main camera: Duel Camera (12MP + 5MP)
Front camera: 20MP
4000 mAh battery
$270 at launch in India

Some early benchmark tests

Review from an Indian tech site where the phone will first launch

Xiaomi seems to be leading the industry in offering budget phones with impressive specs.
Anyone else excited for this phone?

48 replies
May 14, 2005
646 posts
464 upvotes
Ontario
Patiently waiting for this phone, hopefully the global version comes out by next month. There are reviews on YouTube and it looks very promising so far.
Nov 30, 2003
506 posts
73 upvotes
Edmonton
Looks like a really solid and well rounded budget mid-range phone, biggest con is sticking with microUSB instead of USB-C.
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2003
1333 posts
210 upvotes
Toronto
What do you guys think between Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro vs. Asus Zenfone 5? Both announced in Feb 2018. Both have Snapdragon 636 processor, face unlock, and similar screen specs. Price is slightly higher for the Asus.

Apparently the Zenfone 5 has a slightly better rear camera, nicer looking glass back, and the front looks like the iphone X.
But the RN5P has a 20mp selfie camera (only 8mp on Zenfone5), and larger battery.

https://www.mysmartprice.com/gear/2018/ ... -compared/
https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/as ... ne-5-news/
https://www.techradar.com/reviews/asus-zenfone-5-2018
Dec 27, 2009
203 posts
45 upvotes
Hola
I was also patiently awaiting the release of the Global Version of this phone given the excellent value prop I got from the Xiaomi Redmi Note 4. Despite the newer power-efficient processor, and larger screen, sadly with them staying with Micro-USB (boggles the F%#$ing mind that they can't spend like US$2 to incorporate USB Type-C), and with MIUI slow updates, I am going to stick with the Mi A1 (Android One) model.

My friend bought it recently and man he loves it, the Mi A1 is a fluid, well packaged device. He was an iPhone 6S user, and said the move over to a low cost Android device was very impressive. Sad that I can't find another manufacturer that can provide another Android One device that is low cost like the Mi A1, and which has the signal bands that we use in Canada / US. I was considering the Moto X4 (Android One version) but it is seemingly only available through Google's Project Fi store, plus the lack of third-party ROMs blows at the moment.

Canada Computers have the Mi A1 for around CAD$350 plus tax, Amazon.ca has it for CAD$315 plus tax.

Consider what is important to your needs, your budget, access to third-party ROMs (many times not even considered by regular folks), shipping / handling, after-sale support, etc. to help decide what OEMs and device models you want.
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
11926 posts
1713 upvotes
Toronto
Maybe I'm out of the loop, but what do you gain with USB-C for a phone like this?
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2003
1710 posts
186 upvotes
Scarborough
board123 wrote: Maybe I'm out of the loop, but what do you gain with USB-C for a phone like this?
Same thing you get in any other phone with USB-C: the convenience of a reversible connector. It really ought to be standard in 2018.
Ever wanted to shoot guns legally? See here: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/ever-wan ... n-1185701/
Public Mobile $10/month plan
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
11926 posts
1713 upvotes
Toronto
tritium4ever wrote: Same thing you get in any other phone with USB-C: the convenience of a reversible connector. It really ought to be standard in 2018.
I was hoping there would be more benefits to it than just the reversible connector.

I honestly never had much trouble with micro USB...
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7445 posts
783 upvotes
Toronto
Would be great if they came out with an Android One version of this hardware.
[OP]
Nov 2, 2004
263 posts
141 upvotes
tritium4ever wrote: Same thing you get in any other phone with USB-C: the convenience of a reversible connector. It really ought to be standard in 2018.
A reversible connector...? That's the benefit? There's nothing else you'd gain with USB-C?
I've read many reviews on the RN5P since it's release and for the most part this phone fairs very well with critics, but the one thing I see time and time again in the reviews (and in the comments) is "Con: No USB-C" or "This would be my next phone if only Xiaomi had included USB-C".

USB-C gives you the "game-changing advantage" of a reversible connector? Surely there must be some greater advantage to USB-C other than not having to look at your power cord for an extra second to make sure it's the right way up before plugging it in.
Last edited by Barker88 on Mar 15th, 2018 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7445 posts
783 upvotes
Toronto
You get to buy new cables to use in the car, at the office etc. Quite a privilege.
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2003
1710 posts
186 upvotes
Scarborough
Barker88 wrote: A reversible connector...? That's the benefit? There's nothing else you'd gain with USB-C?
I've read many reviews on the RN5P since it's release and for the most part this phone fairs very well with critics, but the one thing I see time and time again in the reviews (and in the comments) is "Con: No USB-C" or "This would be my next phone if only Xiaomi had included USB-C".

USB-C gives you the "game-changing advantage" of a reversible connector? Surely there must be some greater advantage to USB-C other than not having to look at your power cord for an extra second to make sure it's the right way up before plugging it in.
There are other benefits, just none that are as relevant as reversibility. For example, the standard micro USB "B" connector doesn't support USB 3.0 (max is 2.0), so USB-C connectors have a speed advantage (important note: just because a device uses a USB-C connector, doesn't necessarily mean it supports USB 3.0). USB-C connectors also support greater power delivery.

But seriously, reversibility is great. If you get used to Lightning cables on Apple devices, going back to micro USB makes you feel like a caveman.
Ever wanted to shoot guns legally? See here: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/ever-wan ... n-1185701/
Public Mobile $10/month plan
Sep 28, 2010
63 posts
42 upvotes
Does anyone know if this will support LTE with Telus/Koodo? I heard that the redmi note 4 doesn't... Does this mean it has super slow download speeds?
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3497 posts
1262 upvotes
Woodbridge
Can someone help me understand the difference in these chips? Snapdragon 636 was just launched a few months ago. OP2 has the Snapdragon 810 and is a few years old. Nexus 5 has the Snapdragon 800 and is even older. Is this new 600-series chip superior to older 800-series chips? How does that work? Would it be anything like comparing a brand new i5 to an older i7? How would it impact everyday use? Thanks for the info!
Dec 13, 2006
627 posts
526 upvotes
Vancouver
lazybum131 wrote: Looks like a really solid and well rounded budget mid-range phone, biggest con is sticking with microUSB instead of USB-C.
why is this even a con? what are the benefits of USB-C over micro? with a battery this big you wont be charging more than once a day anyway..
Dec 13, 2006
627 posts
526 upvotes
Vancouver
jvnanu wrote: Can someone help me understand the difference in these chips? Snapdragon 636 was just launched a few months ago. OP2 has the Snapdragon 810 and is a few years old. Nexus 5 has the Snapdragon 800 and is even older. Is this new 600-series chip superior to older 800-series chips? How does that work? Would it be anything like comparing a brand new i5 to an older i7? How would it impact everyday use? Thanks for the info!

it may be like nvidia cards, when i was looking for one i was soo confused i just assumed they went in order for 1-1000 but nope..

it was more like

680 being the better

then

then

etc. so the 1st digits were the group of them, and the 2nd digits were the power.. I know i may of listed cards that dont exist but i was just trying to show..

so maybe they have 800 SD but its soo old that the 636 is more powerful than a 5 yr old 800?

kinda how a new i5 7500 is more powerful than and old i7 3200...
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
12320 posts
1877 upvotes
Kanata
spig01 wrote: Hi,

Seems like banggood has the note 5 pro global version up for preorder (shipping end of month). Appears to have the bands for Rogers. However I only found the 3GB/32GB version. Guessing the 64 will be the next to follow.

https://www.banggood.com/Xiaomi-Redmi-N ... rehouse=HK

Thanks
I think this is the 4GB/64GB version

https://www.banggood.com/Xiaomi-Redmi-N ... rehouse=HK