Tags:
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2005
1577 posts
703 upvotes
Montreal
crichdr wrote:
Jun 12th, 2017 7:48 pm
There's lots of these similar robots on amazon for under $300. Even canadian tire sells these on special for under $300. Not sure why anyone would pay more than that for a budget robotic vacuum from China
BenK wrote:
Jun 12th, 2017 8:01 pm
lol you have no clue what you're talking about.
Then educate us please. Because crichdr seems to be making sense... Most of us are not experts on this and these vacuums all look the same.
Best Deals: Star Alliance Silver without even flying= FREE
Fido CAN/USA Unlimited, CID/VM/SMS 2gb $33/month
3 Logitech X-230 Speakers (150% PM at Staples) = $13 each (I bought 3!)[/B]
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2005
4382 posts
1060 upvotes
deal_king wrote:
Jun 12th, 2017 8:19 pm
Then educate us please. Because crichdr seems to be making sense... Most of us are not experts on this and these vacuums all look the same.
you're paying extra for performance and quality. you can just YouTube reviews and see the difference between a $300 robot and a $1000 robot. if you have a 500sqft condo and you don't usually make a mess with finer (smaller) things (bakers are a good example, flour, sugars, etc), then maybe the $300 robot will do. if you own a larger home with multiple rooms, then you'll need a more expensive robot that can navigate around walls, chairs, furniture. if you have kids who drag mud/dirt into your home, there are even robots that have a mop/wet vacuum function.

what makes the Xiaomi a deal is that it is comparable in performance to $1000 roombas for half the price. the trade off is that you lose the warranty essentially since it is only serviceable in China.
Thanks RFD for:

-Koodo $48 MB Plan 5GB
May 31, 2009
35 posts
8 upvotes
Do you know if you will get a US plug with this? Hate receiving electronics with a bulky converter.
Nov 20, 2005
956 posts
195 upvotes
jmok wrote:
Jun 12th, 2017 8:41 pm
Do you know if you will get a US plug with this? Hate receiving electronics with a bulky converter.
No adapter required.

edit: Information was wrong
Last edited by pitabread on Jun 13th, 2017 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 17, 2007
65 posts
76 upvotes
Regina
Bought it from here for around the same price last time it was on sale. 3 months ago? Has been flawless so far. Firmware updates every month or so. It shipped to me with a US plug. I didn't need an adapter
Jan 19, 2007
615 posts
181 upvotes
Toronto
why would anybody buy this if there's iRobot Roombas in Costco?
.... that they can return at any point of time if it brakes, battery craps up, and get a replacement or new one...
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18693 posts
1106 upvotes
deal_king wrote:
Jun 12th, 2017 8:19 pm
A ford F-150 and a ford F-350 Superduty all "look the same" as well, that doesn't mean they can perform the same jobs... do your own research, or even just simply watch the videos on youtube.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2007
1360 posts
82 upvotes
ohnabatko wrote:
Jun 13th, 2017 7:46 am
.... that they can return at any point of time if it brakes, battery craps up, and get a replacement or new one...
Wouldn't this fall under costco's 90 day return period?
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2005
1577 posts
703 upvotes
Montreal
ohnabatko wrote:
kimbot wrote:
Jun 13th, 2017 9:07 am
It is a minor appliance and does not fall under the 90 day policy. However, Costco usually extends the return policy to the length of the warranty, which in this case is 1 year. Their usual return window is 2 years.
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2005
1577 posts
703 upvotes
Montreal
ohnabatko wrote:
kimbot wrote:
Jun 13th, 2017 9:07 am
It is a minor appliance and does not fall under the 90 day policy. However, Costco usually extends the return policy to the length of the warranty, which in this case is 1 year. Their usual return window is 2 years.
Sep 3, 2009
392 posts
71 upvotes
ohnabatko wrote:
I have this vacuum for a few months now, and it works very well. It performs much better than the Costco iRobot, the navigation algorithm is unbelievable smart and efficient. Sure the warranty can be a concern, but this vacuum is a piece of quality product based on my own experience, the chance of failing during the first year should be very low.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2004
2528 posts
75 upvotes
I'd encourage you guys to look at the reviews for the 800 and 900 series Roombas on Amazon.

For whatever reason, review sites don't seem to mention how much of a massive pain in the ass normal robot (like this Xiaomi)'s bristles are to clean. Those sweet, sweet Aeroforce rollers on the 800 and 900 series Roombas are gloriously maintenance free. I've had the 900 series robots for about two years now (previously owned older Roombas and Neato) and they're so much easier to maintain. You're doing yourself a huge disservice if you don't consider the annoying time spent detangling hair from rollers in your decision.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
2868 posts
845 upvotes
AB
alv077 wrote:
Jun 13th, 2017 10:56 am
I'd encourage you guys to look at the reviews for the 800 and 900 series Roombas on Amazon.
For whatever reason, review sites don't seem to mention how much of a massive pain in the ass normal robot (like this Xiaomi)'s bristles are to clean. Those sweet, sweet Aeroforce rollers on the 800 and 900 series Roombas are gloriously maintenance free. I've had the 900 series robots for about two years now (previously owned older Roombas and Neato) and they're so much easier to maintain. You're doing yourself a huge disservice if you don't consider the annoying time spent detangling hair from rollers in your decision.
They do it on purpose because most of these guys get a cut when ordering with a promo code from various Chinese retailers (other than aliexpress). Maintenance should be a much more highlighted and discussed aspect of these machines.
Jan 19, 2007
615 posts
181 upvotes
Toronto
deal_king wrote:
Jun 13th, 2017 9:52 am
That is correct - we have two Roombas at home (unfortunately not from Costco) that slobber on regular basis so the battery is the first that gives away (I ignore bristles and such as consumables).

I did change both batteries using LiOn after-market and it has been great - but if I buy it now, would do this from Costco for the stated reasons - it just smart purchasing
Xiaomi however great does not have any post-sales support
Sep 14, 2007
674 posts
140 upvotes
How does this thing handle stairs? Will it fall/flip over?