PC & Video Games

Yakuza Kiwami is coming on April 22 (RDR2 on May 7th too!)

• Last Updated:
  • May 8th, 2020 12:36 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2011
2199 posts
2947 upvotes
Windsor

Yakuza Kiwami is coming on April 22 (RDR2 on May 7th too!)

15 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2011
2199 posts
2947 upvotes
Windsor
PSA: The game is now 'free' for game pass subscribers in case some ignorant mods/users dont know what video game subscription service is.

Links:
Xbox version
Windows 10 version
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2007
1390 posts
1239 upvotes
If Ive never played one before would you say I should play this or zero first?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2011
2199 posts
2947 upvotes
Windsor
nicolascon wrote: If Ive never played one before would you say I should play this or zero first?
Zero first.
Dec 24, 2018
484 posts
458 upvotes
Canada
is It the game that was published by square Enid recently, although was meant to be played on PS2 cause of its awesome 2003 graphics?
Dec 24, 2010
461 posts
207 upvotes
Thanks for sharing! Been looking forward to this since finishing Yakuza 0
Penalty Box
Dec 11, 2006
4836 posts
1824 upvotes
Ajax
mymuro wrote: PSA: The game is now 'free' for game pass subscribers in case some ignorant mods/users dont know what video game subscription service is.

Links:
Xbox version
Windows 10 version
Yeah it's technical. Game Pass is not free so . . .
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7989 posts
4617 upvotes
Toronto
nicolascon wrote: If Ive never played one before would you say I should play this or zero first?
chronologically Zero is the first in the story as a prequel however it has the more recent game design which apparently makes Kiwami 1 seem dated and difficult to enjoy afterwards as that's a remake of the original first game in the series. Yakuza 0 is one of the best games I've ever played and many say Kiwami doesn't live up to that so I haven't tried it yet
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8695 posts
3057 upvotes
I own all the Yakuza games across PS2, PS3, and PS4 and some on Steam. The originals and the remasters or remakes.

Yakuza 0 is the best one but Yakuza 1 I think has a better story.
Too bad these games are not dubbed in English instead except for Yakuza 1 on PS2. I prefer English voice acting over subtitles.

Yakuza 1 on PS2 had Mark Hamill of Star Wars going crazy and swearing like a madman.

If you like the Yakuza games, the same team also made Judgment on PS4 and Shenmue 1 & 2.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1395 posts
450 upvotes
XFactor11 wrote: I own all the Yakuza games across PS2, PS3, and PS4 and some on Steam. The originals and the remasters or remakes.

Yakuza 0 is the best one but Yakuza 1 I think has a better story.
Too bad these games are not dubbed in English instead except for Yakuza 1 on PS2. I prefer English voice acting over subtitles.

Yakuza 1 on PS2 had Mark Hamill of Star Wars going crazy and swearing like a madman.

If you like the Yakuza games, the same team also made Judgment on PS4 and Shenmue 1 & 2.
So which order do you recommend playing the Yakuza games? I know this question comes up a lot for other franchises but my personal opinion is to play them in order of release date.

Also I've heard some pretty negative comments towards the Shenmue 1 & 2 remake/remaster.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8695 posts
3057 upvotes
All of them are around the same level of quality. Just many do not like the conclusion to Yakuza 6.

Bryson wrote: So which order do you recommend playing the Yakuza games? I know this question comes up a lot for other franchises but my personal opinion is to play them in order of release date.

Also I've heard some pretty negative comments towards the Shenmue 1 & 2 remake/remaster.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2007
1547 posts
481 upvotes
Toronto
Bryson wrote: So which order do you recommend playing the Yakuza games? I know this question comes up a lot for other franchises but my personal opinion is to play them in order of release date.

Though I've never played the Shenmue games, the things I've been hearing is that Yakuza series is better than Shemue in every way. I started playing Yakuza 1 and have been hooked onto the series ever since. Playing in order of release date works, but since Kiwami 1 and 2 are essentially Yakuza 1 and 2 in terms of story, you can easily just play them as first and second.

So basically Kiwami 1, Kiwami 2, 3, 4, 5, 0, 6 probably works well. The spin offs (some of which are Japanese only) can be played probably at any time.
Core i7-5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus Tuf OC RTX 3090 | G.Skill Ripjaws 48GB DDR4-2666 | CM StormTrooper | 850 EVO 250GB x2 Raid 0 + NVMe 970 Pro 512GB | ASRock X99 Extreme4
| Noctua NH-D15 | ASUS PG27UQ + Dell P2715Q
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7989 posts
4617 upvotes
Toronto
LKane1 wrote: So basically Kiwami 1, Kiwami 2, 3, 4, 5, 0, 6 probably works well. The spin offs (some of which are Japanese only) can be played probably at any time.
sort of wish I had played it in this order because after putting 100 hours into Yakuza 0 I don't think the older games will be as satisfying
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2007
1547 posts
481 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote: sort of wish I had played it in this order because after putting 100 hours into Yakuza 0 I don't think the older games will be as satisfying
Which ones have you played already? I'm not sure, but I can imagine some gameplay mechanics may have aged if you were to go back to them now. But I am a sucker for the cheesy melodramatic Yakuza story. Dead Souls was said to be the worst spin off of the series, but I still found myself enjoying it cuz, again, I'm a sucker for this series. I liked 4 and 5 probably for Akiyama. I think he's the absolutely the coolest character addition to the series. I wish the new spin offs like Judgement and Yakuza 7 would have a story about Akiyama instead.

I've invested 100 hours into one Yakuza mainly from playing Mahjong over and over (I was trying to learn Japanese Mahjong cuz it's slightly different from what I'm used to). Other games I've put at least 30-50 hours into them each. And if you were to play them all over, it might feel tiring to level up your dude from the beginning again.
Core i7-5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus Tuf OC RTX 3090 | G.Skill Ripjaws 48GB DDR4-2666 | CM StormTrooper | 850 EVO 250GB x2 Raid 0 + NVMe 970 Pro 512GB | ASRock X99 Extreme4
| Noctua NH-D15 | ASUS PG27UQ + Dell P2715Q