• Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2018 3:38 pm
Tags:
Dec 25, 2005
501 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto

Yearly doctor visit

Up to what age do you continue to take your child for the yearly wellness visits?
10 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2854 posts
2860 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
When they can drive themselves? I will stop taking my kids when they are old enough to taken themselves or don’t want me there.

It’s recommended to have at least once a year visit pretty from birth for the rest of your life.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Banned
Jun 8, 2008
3977 posts
1423 upvotes
Toronto
Macx2mommy wrote: When they can drive themselves? I will stop taking my kids when they are old enough to taken themselves or don’t want me there.

It’s recommended to have at least once a year visit pretty from birth for the rest of your life.
Actually the recommendation has changed: https://choosingwiselycanada.org/health-check-ups/

My kids stopped going for annual 'checkups' at around age 12 at the recommendation of their doctor. That said, they still need some shots so we schedule those.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2854 posts
2860 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
wirebound wrote: Actually the recommendation has changed: https://choosingwiselycanada.org/health-check-ups/

My kids stopped going for annual 'checkups' at around age 12 at the recommendation of their doctor. That said, they still need some shots so we schedule those.
I will ask our pediactrian, my oldest just turned 12 so maybe it has changed. However, in our province if you have a paediatrician you must see them at least once every 18 months in order for them to remain a patient otherwise you need a new GP referral. Plus, I will stick to the once a year until otherwise advise becuas it a good habit to tech young adult that they should go for checkups and not whent hey are just sick. A lot of young adults feel they are invincible and don’t go to drs when they need to too.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Banned
Jun 8, 2008
3977 posts
1423 upvotes
Toronto
Agree with you - its good to make sure the kids regularly see their doctor somehow. My kids see a family doctor so I don't worry about having to see them every 18 months.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30057 upvotes
Center of Universe
Once a year until the Pediatrician gets sick of seeing us.lol
Feb 25, 2018
79 posts
21 upvotes
Even if your child feels fine, you should still see your health care provider for regular checkups.
These visits can help you avoid problems in the future.
Mar 1, 2018
40 posts
5 upvotes
A reasonable guideline would be twice in their 20s, three times in their 30s, four times in their 40s, five times in their 50s, and annually thereafter.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2854 posts
2860 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
leadicapri wrote: A reasonable guideline would be twice in their 20s, three times in their 30s, four times in their 40s, five times in their 50s, and annually thereafter.
Where did this guideline come from? Or is this made up?
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2854 posts
2860 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
leadicapri wrote: A reasonable guideline would be twice in their 20s, three times in their 30s, four times in their 40s, five times in their 50s, and annually thereafter.
Where did this guideline come from? Or is this made up?
Mar 1, 2018
40 posts
5 upvotes
Macx2mommy wrote: Where did this guideline come from? Or is this made up?
This is the recommendation or personal opinion, if you want, of a very experienced physician (I do not remember his name, unfortunately) for generally healthy people & I agree with him.