• Last Updated:
  • Jun 19th, 2019 11:56 am
Tags:
[OP]
Apr 24, 2016
12 posts
9 upvotes

Yet another Canadian Tire ripoff - New tires installation charges

I purchased tires on-line CanadianTire.ca under the understanding that I would need to pay the store an additional charge for balancing when the tires were installed, as explained on their website.

However when I brought my CR-V in to the Kanata store to have the installation done I was told that the charge covering balancing would be $22.50 per wheel. When I asked how could it be so much the argument was "that includes the mounting and balancing". I pointed out that the mounting is already included for free according to the CanadianTire.ca website, The service adviser then tried to claim that $22.50 is the charge for balancing only. I reluctantly paid in order to get the job done.

After getting home and reviewing my invoice I noticed the $22.50 charged was indeed for "tire mount and balance", counter to what the service adviser had told me.

On the website page titled "The Truth About Buying Tires Online" (http://tires.canadiantire.ca/en/info-ce ... resOnline/) it is explicitly stated that the online tire program includes "free tire mounting on pickup" and further it states that "additional fees for balancing may apply". There is no mention of additional fees beyond that. In fact it states that there are "no hidden fees"

I inquired at the Kanata store about the cost of balancing only and was told it was $16.00 per wheel. After getting nowhere with the Kanata store service manager I sent an email to him and Canadian Tire Corporate customer support requesting a refund of the difference. I will let everyone know how I make out.
53 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2004
3807 posts
756 upvotes
Vancouver
Did you pay for recycling fee?
Costco charge $15 mounting + $5 recycling per tire.

Regardless of what they put on the invoice, $22.50 doesn't sound unreasonable.

Canadian tire sometime have free mount/balance promo when you buy their tires

Edit; just read that CT page about buying tire, ROFL @ CT trying to push Canadians away from buying tires in US. So lame, it's pathetic
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
6227 posts
2509 upvotes
Canuckland
If you ever bother reading the automotive section, no one ever goes to crappy Tire for tires or anything that their teen mechanics touch.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2015
2208 posts
827 upvotes
Kleinburg, ON.
In the GTA you can easily find a place to mount and balance for $30-$40 at most. $20 even if you've a good relationship with your mechanic. OP you got ripped off! :(
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14077 posts
9288 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
OP, do your research before you bring your car in for service. Oy!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
3115 posts
1010 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
Cheapo-Findo wrote: OP, do your research before you bring your car in for service. Oy!
OP has done his research. His issue is that he is being charged for mounting which CTC did not do.

However, they do have to jack up the vehicle, remove and re-install the wheels. If OP had rolled four wheels in, there would have been about half the work needed.
Jan 30, 2013
185 posts
73 upvotes
$22.50 isn't bad. Costco starts at $15.00, the Walmart I go to (YMMV) starts at $18.50. Since you have an SUV, it probably would be charged more. That's all with mounting and balancing, mounting alone may be cheaper, but you should always balance too.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
3796 posts
2521 upvotes
Edmonton
I bought tires there for two vehicles because they included free seasonal changeover. They pulled that deal retroactively so that's the end of Canadian Tire for tire purchases.
[OP]
Apr 24, 2016
12 posts
9 upvotes
Marzipan wrote: OP has done his research. His issue is that he is being charged for mounting which CTC did not do.

However, they do have to jack up the vehicle, remove and re-install the wheels. If OP had rolled four wheels in, there would have been about half the work needed.
If I had driven in with tires on the car to get a balance (which the Kanata store quotes at $16.00) they still have to jack up the vehicle, remove and reinstall the wheels on the car as well as do the balancing. The only thing additional they must do with new tires is mount the tires on the wheel which their website clearly states is free with the purchase of new tires.

I am not arguing about the amount, although $22.50 is way to much and $16 is also too much for balancing alone. I am arguing that I paid twice for "mounting". Once included with the tires and again when I had them installed.

It seems that this is not a new tactic for Canadian Tire . They either should stop charging twice or stop saying that mounting is included free with the price of the tire.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
3115 posts
1010 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
Armby2016 wrote: If I had driven in with tires on the car to get a balance (which the Kanata store quotes at $16.00) they still have to jack up the vehicle, remove and reinstall the wheels on the car as well as do the balancing. The only thing additional they must do with new tires is mount the tires on the wheel which their website clearly states is free with the purchase of new tires.

I am not arguing about the amount, although $22.50 is way to much and $16 is also too much for balancing alone. I am arguing that I paid twice for "mounting". Once included with the tires and again when I had them installed.

It seems that this is not a new tactic for Canadian Tire . They either should stop charging twice or stop saying that mounting is included free with the price of the tire.
So OP. You bought the tires on-line and they were held for you at the store?

Then you brought the SUV in for them to do the following - please, correct if I'm wrong:

1. Remove the wheels from the SUV

2. Remove old tires from rims and mount new ones.

3. Balance wheel/tire assembly

4. Place wheels back on SUV.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9143 posts
2770 upvotes
London
Canadian Tire corporate seems to have has little control over it's franchises with regard to any corporate policies. Some are pretty good about customer service while others are dismal. It's clear to me the OP was overcharged by $6.50 x 4. We'll see if their reputation is worth $26.
[OP]
Apr 24, 2016
12 posts
9 upvotes
Marzipan wrote: So OP. You bought the tires on-line and they were held for you at the store?

Then you brought the SUV in for them to do the following - please, correct if I'm wrong:

1. Remove the wheels from the SUV

2. Remove old tires from rims and mount new ones.

3. Balance wheel/tire assembly

4. Place wheels back on SUV.
Correct. Charged $22.50 per wheel. I confirmed with Kanata store that $16.00 gets you #1,3 & 4. #2 is supposed to be included free with the tire purchase.
[OP]
Apr 24, 2016
12 posts
9 upvotes
Ottomaddox wrote: Canadian Tire corporate seems to have has little control over it's franchises with regard to any corporate policies. Some are pretty good about customer service while others are dismal. It's clear to me the OP was overcharged by $6.50 x 4. We'll see if their reputation is worth $26.
Kanata service manager's argument yesterday was basically: "The website is Corporate. We have always charged it this way. Please leave now."
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14077 posts
9288 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
What was the tire size?
Armby2016 wrote: Correct. Charged $22.50 per wheel. I confirmed with Kanata store that $16.00 gets you #1,3 & 4. #2 is supposed to be included free with the tire purchase.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
Apr 24, 2016
12 posts
9 upvotes
Cheapo-Findo wrote: What was the tire size?
225/65R17

The item on the invoice is "Tire Mount and Balance 15. Steel/Alloy wheels with TPMS (55 series profile and higher)" I do not know what the 15 means.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2014
2097 posts
2374 upvotes
Toronto, ON
OP, post your invoice please (the large white paper Canadian Tire gives with the cost breakdowns, services and total final amount)

You can blur out any sensitive info
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2013
3007 posts
1031 upvotes
Tuktoyaktuk
OP will get nowhere with this beef, Cantire has been doing this forever.

I have purchased tires at Cantire and told them, "I don't want balancing, just mount them." They argued vociferously, but they did it.

I then took the truck to my own mechanic and he balanced them for a 12-pack of Molson Ex. :cool:

I have also purchased used tires (on rims) and taken them to an independent tire shop, who balanced all four of them for twenty bucks.

Cantire's $22 a wheel for balancing is outrageous, it takes 60 seconds to balance a mounted tire.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
6227 posts
2509 upvotes
Canuckland
Most Tire shops do it for free when buying new tires or rims.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2004
3807 posts
756 upvotes
Vancouver
DealCanuck wrote: Most Tire shops do it for free when buying new tires or rims.
Will they also give you free tire repair and rotation every 10k?