• Last Updated:
  • May 18th, 2019 2:24 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jul 5, 2004
24409 posts
3866 upvotes

YGK to LAS via YYZ

Flying from Kingston to Las Vegas next week. Connecting in Toronto.

I have a fairly short connection (a little over an hour). What I'm wondering is the process of the whole thing. Obviously I pecker pre-clear customs in Toronto and not Kingston. But when I arrive in YYZ, is there a separate customs area for arrivals, or do I get kicked out into the main queue that I would be in if I didn't have that first leg at all? Do I go through security again?

If so, I have my doubts that I can make my flight to Vegas unless I beg people to let me jump the line.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
3452 posts
1426 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Check here with your airline details.

https://www.torontopearson.com/en/connections

Fortunately you're not connecting at YVR where between a slow security rescreening line (mandatory) and U.S. immigration and customs, you'd be hooped without Nexus.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
34314 posts
8140 upvotes
Ottawa
You will leave the secure area and back through security and through the American customs. Pre-clearance does not help you at all.
How much time will it take? cannot say. We have gone through in less than an hour but have also waited a long time. YYZ sucks.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Oct 8, 2008
720 posts
68 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: You will leave the secure area and back through security and through the American customs. Pre-clearance does not help you at all.
How much time will it take? cannot say. We have gone through in less than an hour but have also waited a long time. YYZ sucks.
Assuming this is AC in T1. You will not return landslide. Rather you follow signs for E/F gates which takes you to the transfer area after passing through some gates. and then you re-clear US transfer security and then US immigration in the transfer area. Going through security is a US requirement sadly.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
34314 posts
8140 upvotes
Ottawa
D582 wrote: Assuming this is AC in T1. You will not return landslide. Rather you follow signs for E/F gates which takes you to the transfer area after passing through some gates. and then you re-clear US transfer security and then US immigration in the transfer area. Going through security is a US requirement sadly.
The OP asked "is there a separate customs area for arrivals, or do I get kicked out into the main queue " and whether you want to call US transfer security the main que or not, the wait can be very long. I have been in that line many times. Then you need to wait in the pre customs area for your name to be posted, indicating your bags have been x-rayed and screened, then on to US Customs.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4064 posts
399 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Shaner wrote: Flying from Kingston to Las Vegas next week. Connecting in Toronto.

I have a fairly short connection (a little over an hour). What I'm wondering is the process of the whole thing. Obviously I pecker pre-clear customs in Toronto and not Kingston. But when I arrive in YYZ, is there a separate customs area for arrivals, or do I get kicked out into the main queue that I would be in if I didn't have that first leg at all? Do I go through security again?

If so, I have my doubts that I can make my flight to Vegas unless I beg people to let me jump the line.
What time are you connecting in YYZ?

Last time I did this it took me all of 10 mins to get through security + US customs after connecting in Toronto. I departed from Ottawa, landed in Toronto, followed the signs for US connections, went through security and then customs with a bunch of time to kill. This was around 10 or so in the morning.
[OP]
Jul 5, 2004
24409 posts
3866 upvotes
Typhoonz wrote: What time are you connecting in YYZ?

Last time I did this it took me all of 10 mins to get through security + US customs after connecting in Toronto. I departed from Ottawa, landed in Toronto, followed the signs for US connections, went through security and then customs with a bunch of time to kill. This was around 10 or so in the morning.
About 7 pm. I land at 6:55 pm and depart at 8:35 pm. I actually have more time than I originally thought. The good thing is I'm arriving on a dash 8, so it won't take much time to get off the plane.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4064 posts
399 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Shaner wrote: About 7 pm. I land at 6:55 pm and depart at 7:35 pm. I actually have more time than I originally thought. The good thing is I'm arriving on a dash 8, so it won't take much time to get off the plane.
Do you have Nexus and are you checking bags or carry on only?
[OP]
Jul 5, 2004
24409 posts
3866 upvotes
Typhoonz wrote: Do you have Nexus and are you checking bags or carry on only?
No nexus and only carry on. Be advised I edited my post that you quoted. The times I wrote were incorrect. I've since corrected my post.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
3452 posts
1426 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I imagine that time of the evening should be pretty quiet for pre-clearance. With the additional 40 mins, you should be good even if the YGK-YYZ flight arrives a wee bit late.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
[OP]
Jul 5, 2004
24409 posts
3866 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: I imagine that time of the evening should be pretty quiet for pre-clearance. With the additional 40 mins, you should be good even if the YGK-YYZ flight arrives a wee bit late.
Yeah, I originally thought I had 65 minutes, which had me worried. When I read my flight times again and realized I had an extra 40 minutes, I'm not too worried about it now. If need be I'll beg to jump the line, but I doubt it will come to that