Food & Drink

YIKES!! Christmas-time eating & your WEIGHT!!

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 30th, 2004 10:26 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2002
2886 posts
476 upvotes

YIKES!! Christmas-time eating & your WEIGHT!!

WOW.
Ever seen Supersize-Me? How much did he put on in that month? (Answer: 25lbs).
Well I haven't been to McD's or eaten any "junk food", but I just gained an ASTONISHING 17lbs IN 2 1/2 WEEKS!! YIKES!

I weigh myself regularly and the first week of December (I'll say the 8th), I weighed 164lbs. This is about normal for me, I'd say I've varied +/- 3lbs over the last 5 years or so. I'm 5'6 and stocky with low body fat and I've always had a fast metabolism. Anyhow, last January (I'd been ill for a while so was slightly underweight), I wrote this here at RFD in a thread about weight-training:
I maxxed at 175lbs (@5'6) back in '94 when I left highschool but since then I haven't worked out for any longer than a solid month, and probably only 4 or 5 months total in 10 years. It may well have been due to my 'early' training, but my body is very responsive to physical activity and I get asked all the time if I work out - I'm currently 158lbs and less than 4% body fat.
I weighed myself earlier this evening -- and had to check it on a 2nd pair of scales (confirmed 1st was correct) .. post-Christmas-eating, I NOW WEIGH 181lbs -- as I said at the top, that's an ASTONISHING 17lbs IN 2 1/2 WEEKS!!

YIKES! (again!)

Anyone else noticed a dramatical weight increase?!
17 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
6274 posts
66 upvotes
Etobicoke
That's why weight loss is the number 1 new year's resolution for people.

And that's also why the gyms are filled with people in January.

So, this time next week, be prepared for a swarm of gym & fitness ads as well as endless media talks of weight reduction.

The cycle continues.
Dec 13, 2004
936 posts
39 upvotes
I gained 10 lbs this month too -___- That's why we get sales during this time of the year, to buy new and "bigger" sized clothing -___-
- Instant noodle is the way for a healthy balanced diet
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2004
1674 posts
2 upvotes
eelfliw wrote:That's why weight loss is the number 1 new year's resolution for people.

And that's also why the gyms are filled with people in January.

So, this time next week, be prepared for a swarm of gym & fitness ads as well as endless media talks of weight reduction.

The cycle continues.
i would think quit smoking is #1
Sep 6, 2003
899 posts
2 upvotes
how can you put on so much weight in 2 weeks? that doesn't sound possible. a few years ago, i actually lost weight at xmas time without trying -about 8 lbs. if i do put on weight at xmas, it would be a lb or two.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2002
2886 posts
476 upvotes
It's shocking but it's obviously possible -- as it happened!

My fat intake has been far higher than normal for me (I'm used to <30g/day). Also I can say without a doubt that my calorie intake recently has been sky high - deserts, cakes, snacks that I normally wouldn't be adding to my meals. And I'd say most days during the last week+ I've had 2 helpings at dinner time - often as the host has insisted that the food has to be eaten. I have not however felt 'absolutely stuffed', which is the surprising thing when I see how much weight I've gained.

My metabolism has obviously been in hyperdrive -- and I've been making trips to the bathroom 3 or 4 times a day all week! (normal= 1x) so it seems my body is functioning normally (by processing food properly into waste).

Now that I'm aware of the gain & now that Christmas is over, I'll be cutting back and maybe even start excercisng. We'll see how it goes.

-- now check this out for extreme weight gain!--
http://www.bodybuildbid.com/articles/mu ... k40lb.html

This (fit) guy entered Edge 102's 'wheel of glutony' with a dietary plan and some extreme & deliberate preparation -- he gained 40lbs in 4 days.. and won himself $10,000 & 2 cars.
He claims he was able to lose the weight gained in just 1 week!
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2002
2290 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
a lot of your gained weight could be water weight which you can drop quickly.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2003
4503 posts
161 upvotes
Austin/Markham
woa, i didn't gain any weight, in fact I probably lost some, been so hungry,. Why don't U guys invite me over for dinner, plzzz, so hungry :o
__
demandez-lui si elle dormira avec vous pour un LED keychain
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
5043 posts
985 upvotes
Thornhill
I am skinny.I am always hungry too,but I eat a lot.Sometimes eat in McD twice a day and take some take out home!! I tried to count those calories and it come up to about 2800-4000 a day.

Here's a tip for those who wants to loosey some weight though.
1. eat 2-4 hours before you go to sleep. By the time you'll get hungry, you'll be sleeping.
2. Drink a lot.No matter what,just drink it. It will fill you up and you'll want to eat less.2 litres would be great.
3. Eat 4-10 times a day. It's better to eat small dozes 10 times a day than 2-3 times and consume enourmous amount.
4. Try swimming...1 hour of swimming will take care of about 800calories as some doctor said.
5.Eat salads and soups. They are very tasty and very low on calories,no matter how much you dress them.

Anyways,that how my mother lost weight when she needed it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2002
2886 posts
476 upvotes
Dazz - good tips --- though be careful with #5.
If you watched Supersize-Me, we are told that a McD's salad with dressing can contain more fat & calories than a BigMac.

Check it out http://www.mcdonalds.ca/en/food/calculator.aspx :
- McD's Chicken Caesar Salad with Warm Crispy Chicken + a packet of NEWMAN’S OWN® Creamy Caesar Dressing = 540 calories, 35g of fat (54% of rec daily intake), 85mg of cholesterol, 1640mg of sodium.
- BigMac: 580 calories, 32g of fat, 80g of cholesterol, 1250mg of sodium.
Banned
Jul 6, 2004
110 posts
Okay. If you find that you're getting fat here's a tip for you: EAT LESS. The problem with most people including myself is that we over indulge. We don't realize that the fault isn't in the food but ourselves.

When you lose your job, lose your gf, lose your house all because of your ballooning belly problem, I think the problem isn't because of McDonalds. It's because somebody needs to go visit Jenny Craig.

In summary, if you notice yourself turning into a fata$$, eat less and the pounds will shed about as fast a sheepdog in the summer heat.
Nov 15, 2004
778 posts
3 upvotes
The most important is to have a balance diet and exercise. It is nothing complicated. Just a lot of hard work and dedication. A lot of ppl try to use different diet plans and diff methods for some quick fix. That's why you see how some ppl either gain their weight back a few years down the road or quit trying b/c they dont' see any results.

I eat lots of veges and fruits and exercise as well. My weight don't go up and down. That's the best plan you can have to maintain your weight, xmas or not.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2002
2886 posts
476 upvotes
I was down to 180 this time yesterday, and am now at 178lbs at the time this was posted. 3lbs off in 2 days, not bad, considering I still ate well, just no 2nds now. Though I was bad and ate 1/2 a bag of Christmas Smarties...
Nov 28, 2004
560 posts
Toronto
know how to loose it???

go SHOPPING!!!

...i went shopping for a few days straight.....not that i bought anything, but just plain old shopping....

went totally from morning til close......lost a few pounds yes...but not as much as i gained.....lol.

still good though...
hope that helps some of you here....

dorami.....shop shop shop!!!! =)