Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2005
1688 posts
1356 upvotes

YLOD: PS3 Repair experience?

My ps3 which I bought on release day, just bit the dust. I did a little research and found that it had the 'yellow light of death' which is unrepairable at home :mad: :(

I was wondering if anyone had the same problem and if they sent there's in to sony for repair?

if so

1) Who paid for shipping/return shipping?

2) How much did it cost with taxes in?

3) What model is the unit they send you in return? (ie. do they replace it with the same model? (ie. original 60 gig, memory card, backwards compatibility, etc...?) What is the condition?

The reason I am asking is because I want to know if anyone had a hardtime getting sony to repair/replace their unit with an original 1st gen ps3 system, and if they were able to keep their original harddrive because of all the save data, dlc, photos, passwords, messages, etc...

better yet, if anyone knows of a possible fix, please inform.

Thanks in advance for sharing any experiences.
218 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
8334 posts
1988 upvotes
Toronto
I know for #3 they will repair your system and send it back to you, or if they can't fix it, they will send you a refurbished model of the same specs... so in your case, a 60GB backwards compatible model. I haven't heard of anyone getting a different model in return for a 60GB, which seems to account for most YLOD's.

I hate the idea of getting a refurb, but there isn't much you can do about it.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2008
1258 posts
48 upvotes
Markham
when I got my yellow light it was my harddrive and I just fixed it buy swaping in a extra hard drive I had. When my blue ray laser died then I send it in with the broken hard drive as well. I got back my ps3 same one I sent in in less then a week. I called Sunday got the box Tuesday, sent it wed, got back my ps3 on the Monday.

Great experience, if your ps3 is not within the warranty period then no matter what problem it's $150
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2005
1688 posts
1356 upvotes
thanks for the reply guys!

apple b> I wouldn't mind a refurbished unit but I am concerned if it will definitely be a 1st gen 60 gig unit. I would hate to lose those extra usb ports, card reader and ps1/ps2 compatibility :(

themagekiler> was that $150 cad total or before taxes? My controller is also defective (broken button so I am wondering if they would repair it as well w/ the unit altogether for $150?) I will also have to try swapping the hdrive to see if that could fix the problem but I will have to get my hands on one. It won't void the warranty right?
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10867 posts
724 upvotes
Scarborough
nintendo wrote: thanks for the reply guys!

apple b> I wouldn't mind a refurbished unit but I am concerned if it will definitely be a 1st gen 60 gig unit. I would hate to lose those extra usb ports, card reader and ps1/ps2 compatibility :(

themagekiler> was that $150 cad total or before taxes? My controller is also defective (broken button so I am wondering if they would repair it as well w/ the unit altogether for $150?) I will also have to try swapping the hdrive to see if that could fix the problem but I will have to get my hands on one. It won't void the warranty right?
swapping HDD's does not void warranty but if you have a 60 gig there's no way you still have a warranty.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2005
1688 posts
1356 upvotes
you're right, but i meant that sony will not even touch the ps3 (even paid) if a certain seal is broken
Mar 30, 2007
477 posts
52 upvotes
Saskatchewan
1) Who paid for shipping/return shipping?

Sony paid for shipping both ways. They send you a box with a prepaid shipping label.

2) How much did it cost with taxes in?

$177.

3) What model is the unit they send you in return? (ie. do they replace it with the same model? (ie. original 60 gig, memory card, backwards compatibility, etc...?) What is the condition?

I had a 60gb and they replaced it with a 60gb. The one they replaced it with had an older manufacture date than my broken unit, but it seemed like they replaced at least part of the case as it looked brand new.

You will lose all your save files as well.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2005
1688 posts
1356 upvotes
thanks evozero! did you ask if you could keep the old harddrive? i would hate to play resident evil all over again after getting 85% of trophies :(
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2003
15844 posts
736 upvotes
Stouffville
ur trophies save into ur psn id i believe? but ya.. ud have to play it up a lot again to get that high lol..

i guess u cant save ur save files and then use them for trophies.. or ppl would have millions of them lol
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
8977 posts
2236 upvotes
Your data gets wiped.

A friend of mine who had to send theirs in for repair said the service was excellent, his was still under warranty, made a quick call and they sent him the box the next day and he got his system back a week later all fixed up although he lost all his save data :(
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Dec 20, 2008
136 posts
York
@nintendo, how long do you play games on your PS3? I only play about 6 hrs a day when I do.
Do you keep it in an open space?

I'm trying to figure out if the YLOD is caused by overheating. :confused:
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7575 posts
392 upvotes
Canada
I believe you can keep your harddrive and just send them the console (or at least I've read about it somewhere here)

But you also gotta package the console with the sixaxis and composite cables
He died for me, I live for him
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2004
9459 posts
2948 upvotes
Here is the place that will repair your PS3. MTC is the only service gruop in Canada, authorized to service and repair playstation products. If you live near Whitby, you can save on shipping costs.

[QUOTE]Out Of Warranty Repairs:

1) If the customer lives in the area close to MTC Whitby, ON: They can bring in their PlayStation 3 for an Out of Warranty repair/exchange. Once the unit has been assessed it is MTC's discretion whether the unit will be repaired or exchanged.

http://www.mtcservice.com/customer/playstation.php

Toll Free: 1-877-779-9929
Local: 905-666-7669[/QUOTE]
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2005
1688 posts
1356 upvotes
that sucks about the save data :( I'm going to try to get a hold of a spare hard drive and see if that will fix the problem before calling. If they will repair my controller along with the flat fee of $150, I may end up doing it if they can guarantee the same system model and let me keep the hdrive.

zombiesniper> I play on average maybe 1-3 hours a day (maybe split up in 2 sessions) and about 5 times a week. The unit is in a well ventillated area though I've noticed in the last several months, it would freeze the xmb at random times though I'm not sure if that is firmware related.

edit: thanks for the info cfrtim, unfortunately I am not close enough for a dropoff :(
Nov 18, 2007
752 posts
48 upvotes
Toronto
Sorry to bump this thread again, but it beats having me put another new thread about YLODs.

I recently bought PS3 60GB (CECHA01) YLOD. Now, I need some suggestions on what method I should fix this (other the fact of Do It Yourself).
- Live in Toronto

Gamerama (Toronto, Yonge/Eglinton), offers repairs on PS3 between 70-140. According to their Craigslist post.
Has anyone have their PS3 fix in that place? Is their warranty policy really 3-6 months? Do they accept Credit Card payments on their repairs (I hardly think they will)?

As for Sony's, Do they still charged 150+taxes with extra cost of shipping? Do they accept Credit Card payments? Do you have to add everything to the shipment to Sony? How many months/years is their warranty?

I haven't call Sony or Gamerama, yet... since I need some feedback from kool RFDers here :)

Thanks in advance who able to answer the questions :)
Keep watching Anime...
Jan 26, 2005
94 posts
48 upvotes
I'm also looking into repairing my PS3 (red blinking lights). Unfortunately, my ps3 is imported from Japan, and SCEA will not fix it. So I'm looking into other options.

So does anyone have experience with Gamerama that Jubo mention? Can they really fix PS3?
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10867 posts
724 upvotes
Scarborough
Jubo wrote: Sorry to bump this thread again, but it beats having me put another new thread about YLODs.

I recently bought PS3 60GB (CECHA01) YLOD. Now, I need some suggestions on what method I should fix this (other the fact of Do It Yourself).
- Live in Toronto

Gamerama (Toronto, Yonge/Eglinton), offers repairs on PS3 between 70-140. According to their Craigslist post.
Has anyone have their PS3 fix in that place? Is their warranty policy really 3-6 months? Do they accept Credit Card payments on their repairs (I hardly think they will)?

As for Sony's, Do they still charged 150+taxes with extra cost of shipping? Do they accept Credit Card payments? Do you have to add everything to the shipment to Sony? How many months/years is their warranty?

I haven't call Sony or Gamerama, yet... since I need some feedback from kool RFDers here :)

Thanks in advance who able to answer the questions :)
I don't have true experience with either but I would call Gamerama and see if you can get a quote for the YLOD or even try the HDD swap if you can.

At this point, I think your best option is to just try it because I think they are the only ones offering a repair service outside of Sony. From the posts here, it seems Sony does a good job with repair, but $177 is considerably more pricey than Gamerama.

To the other user, your only option is an outside service because your console is not a NA one.

It won't hurt to call or try because at this point, your PS3's are unusable anywys.
Nov 18, 2007
752 posts
48 upvotes
Toronto
dragonmagician wrote: So does anyone have experience with Gamerama that Jubo mention? Can they really fix PS3?
Hey dragonmagician,

here is there craigslist post

PS3 REPAIR CENTER TORONTO 14YRS EXP 1 HOUR SERVICE AVAIL WARRANTY - $40 (2370 YONGE ST 2 BLOCKS NRTH OF EGLINGTON)
GAMERAMA VIDEO GAMES REPAIR PS3 SYSTEMS .WE REPAIR DISC READ ERRORS, NO READING ,FREEZING NO VIDEO,YELLOW BLINKING LIGHT,DRIVE NOT WORKING ,NO POWER,DISC NOT SPINNING ETC,WE HAVE BEEN IN BUISNESS FOR 14 YEARS IN THE SAME LOCATION,WE HAVE WON BEST INDEPENDENT GAME STORE IN CANADA 2 YEARS IN A ROW{ CEN AWARDS},WE ARE LOCATED @2370 YONGE STOCKS 2 BLOCKS NORTH OF EGLINGTON SUBWAY.MOST OF THESE REPAIRS CAN BE DONE EITHER WITHIN AN HOUR OR UP TO WEEK IF THE PARTS ARE NOT IN STOCK PRICING FOR PS3 REPAIR ARE FROM $70-$129 .WE OFFER A WARRANTY OF 3-6 MONTHS ON OUR PS3 REPAIRS.

GAMERAMA ALSO CARIES ONE OF THE LARGEST SELECTION OF PS3/PS2/PS1/XBOX/360/WII/NINTENDO/SUPERNINTENDO/GAMEBOY/
DS/PSP/GAMECUBE/GAMES AND SYSTEMS
WE ALSO REPAIR 360/ PS2/PSP/WII/DS/XBOX UNITS
CALL US AT 416-487-5501 OR CALL ME ALEX ON MY CELL TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT FOR 1 HOUR SERVICE 416-827-6100 YOU WONT BE DISSAPIONTED
I known this place for a long time, but I never visit that place weekly till December 2008... It pretty kool place for several of there used games... but I never knew they repair stuff... so I have no experience or seen many of their repair service for these several months.

When I bought my PS3 60GB YLOD from a craigslist person he said something about you pay 150+tax and you get extended warranty for like 4 dollars a month to keep it going... So, I pretty curious about that.

so is it lucky that I have a repair shop nearby better than using Sony's repair and not worrying about a store/company won't disappear for years or month to come?
Keep watching Anime...
Jan 26, 2005
94 posts
48 upvotes
Thanks for the information. And I did try to replace my hard drive with another one, and it didn't work; so it is probably not hard drive problem.

I'm still trying to see if Gamerama is my only option. Either way, I really want to fix my PS3, since I don't want to lose all my data (I really should have backed up :( ).
Aug 25, 2007
767 posts
118 upvotes
Oakville
Argh. My 60GB PS3 YLOD on me today with a BR movie stuck in it! Was working all fine and dandy last night. > :( I was successful in getting the BR out from the drive though (thanks to YouTube).

Anyway, would also like to know about local repair options in the GTA if anyone has any to share.