• Jan 15th, 2022 10:22 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20530 posts
5987 upvotes
GTA
Rimdale wrote: I'm sorry but I got my PS3 YLOD Permanently fixed by some kid named Moe, I had my PS3 80GB Running since January 2010 and until now its still working!
It costed me $110

I got mines fixed by him as well. To be honest, it was really sketchy, he looks about 15-16, but he knows his stuff. Hell, I got mines fixed last year(April 2010?) and he recently gave me a call if everything was okay, and that he discovered a new method in case anything went wrong again. He lives near McCowan/Ellesmere I believe.
Apr 20, 2009
60 posts
11 upvotes
This is a post for the people in the MTL area you need to have their PS3 (YLoD) or their X360 (RRoD) repaired.

There is a business in Saint-Hubert (on the South Shore) that does that. It is called Dimensions Reparations. I got my PS3 YLoD repaired today. Works perfectly for now.

The guy does the repairs at home. He charges 10$ for evaluation + 50$ if the repair is successful (according to what he says, he has a success rate of almost 100%). And he offers a 3 months warranty on the repair with invoice. He also cleans up your console while it is open. He took 9 days to repair my PS3 (says he's had a lot of work since xmas. Usually, it takes him 7 days max to get the console ready.)

Unfortunately, he does not have a website, but here is the link to his ad on [url]www.lespac.com:[/url]

http://www.lespac.com/electronique/cons ... Z34WWgrZZ4

Hope this helps someone...
Dec 11, 2009
7 posts
Toronto, ON
coriolis wrote: I got mines fixed by him as well. To be honest, it was really sketchy, he looks about 15-16, but he knows his stuff. Hell, I got mines fixed last year(April 2010?) and he recently gave me a call if everything was okay, and that he discovered a new method in case anything went wrong again. He lives near McCowan/Ellesmere I believe.

Yeah, he looked really, really young, but he gets the job done and still my Playstation 3 is running perfectly! and he also gave me a call to check if mine is working.
he's a really smart kid, I also got my laptop fixed by him.
Jun 18, 2008
854 posts
53 upvotes
I prevented any future YLOD with youtube guides, that show you how to open up the PS3 and reapply new thermal paste. My PS3 is a 60GB launch console, and when I opened it up there was barely any paste at all between the heat sink and the processors. It would have surely died within weeks, especially once KZ3 was released and my console started to get a lot more play time. I put a nice layer of arctic silver paste which should last me years. And I know how to change it now, so I can do it as often as I like and never worry about YLOD.
Jan 12, 2010
766 posts
216 upvotes
I just fixed YLOD, but the problem that it is not fixed. The thing is that there are is no power LED going on even when I plugged in the PSU. All the connections is fine, can anyone help me out?
May 2, 2006
109 posts
18 upvotes
coriolis wrote: I got mines fixed by him as well. To be honest, it was really sketchy, he looks about 15-16, but he knows his stuff. Hell, I got mines fixed last year(April 2010?) and he recently gave me a call if everything was okay, and that he discovered a new method in case anything went wrong again. He lives near McCowan/Ellesmere I believe.

This the place?

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-services-oth ... Z197046439
Dave's Network - need a host? Dave's RFD Thread
May 30, 2005
255 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
@[email protected] wrote: My brother fix his PS3 4 months ago following couple videos and instructions from internet, still running like new.

One of the best instructions he follows was this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_Ic1_TY-GU&feature=fvsr

Of course this if the problem you having is overheat....otherwise repair with a TEch will be ur best bet.

I got hit by YLOD with my 60GB ps3 3 weeks ago and decided to repair it myself using the video guide by djwhetzel from youtube. I bought myself a heatgun from Canadian tire which was on sale for $19.99 and thermal paste for $4.99 at Canada Computers. The video guide was simple, didn't have a hard time removing it and putting it back together as it also have a reassembly video guide on youtube. My ps3 runs like new and notice that it runs a bit more quieter after the fix.
Have a good life. Whats left of it.
May 2, 2006
109 posts
18 upvotes
Rimdale wrote: yeah, thats the guy, keep in mind its a home business , but he does the job! I got the permanent fix with the loud fan, its been working ever since.!
coriolis wrote: Yeap this is the place. I commend him for being such a hard worker, I'm pretty sure he's in high school, but he's already an entrepreneur really.
Cool thanks for confirming!
Dave's Network - need a host? Dave's RFD Thread
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2010
5649 posts
1852 upvotes
Kanata
coriolis wrote: Yeap this is the place. I commend him for being such a hard worker, I'm pretty sure he's in high school, but he's already an entrepreneur really.

Sounds like a really smart kid, but hope he's still going to school. Looking at his service hours, unless he's got someone else taking it in, he might not be. He might be taking in too much money to go to school lol! I might have to take it to him, my cousin's ps3 died, and it won't read any discs. Hate when this happens, :facepalm:
Uh, yeah, I'd like to speak to a Mr. Tabooger, first name Ollie.
Dec 28, 2009
79 posts
9 upvotes
Darn joining the YLOD for the third time with my 60gb fat playstation 3. I'm starting to believe that there is no perm. fix for this. I don't even play games on my blueray. I only watch movies off USB. First fix lasted me 5 months with and second lasted aprox. 3 months. Everytime costing me 60 bucks to fix. I now wish I lived in TO so I can get that high school boy to fix it for me...lol Anyone here knows where I can fix it in Vancouver for a good price and good workmanship?
Aug 25, 2007
767 posts
118 upvotes
Oakville
I finally gave the DIY fix a shot and it's surprisingly easy! Now my 60GB is back in action baby! :cool:
Feb 23, 2011
2 posts
Toronto
Regarding the kid Moe who fixes the ylod:

Anyone know what he does differently between the $45 ylod fix and the $100 ylod "permanant" fix?

Also what is the turnaround time for him to fix it?

Thanks all.
Feb 23, 2011
2 posts
Toronto
Just an update;

I got my system fixed by Moe here in Toronto.

The kid is legit. I went for the long term fix for $100.

BE warned though: This makes the fan INCREDIBLY LOUD. I mean ridiculously loud, like a dustbuster.

I think eventually I'm going to get a slim, and retire my current 80gb to a be back-up system, or take it to my cottage.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2006
5100 posts
373 upvotes
Toronto
Martinga wrote: Just want to mention my own personal experience.
I decided to open my ps3 after getting the flashing red light (ylod). Spent roughly 30 mins opening my ps3. Used a youtube video + some pdf file of some guy who fixed his ps3.
All it consists of is just taking the ps3 apart, putting new thermal compound, and voila. Many of them make it sound complicated, it really isn't. The guides are very detailed and its hard to get lost, all you gotta do is just follow the instructions. Oh, and i didnt have a heat gun, so i used a crappy hair dryer instead, used it for 30 seconds on each side after i took off the old thermal compound, put the new one and after assembling it, my ps3 has life once again.
I would like to mention that my ps3 now makes a really loud fan sound after i play for like 10 mins. Anyone has an idea what might be causing the problem? it is in a well ventilated area, im not sure if i put too much or too little thermal compound (thin layer is what i put).....
trust me, you dont need previous experience to do it. Worst cases you send it to an actual technician.

Costs involved: Thermal Compound = 12 bucks at tiger direct
Screw Drivers = had at home
Heat Gun (didnt have so used a hair dryer, even though i know it doesnt have the same effect)

You can't reflow solder with a hair dryer; using one is pointless (especially for 30 seconds). You probably applied too much thermal compound as well (causing it to overheat and the fans to compensate by spinning faster); the less you apply is better for heat performance.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 30, 2003
7497 posts
936 upvotes
soul_chaser wrote: Just an update;

I got my system fixed by Moe here in Toronto.

The kid is legit. I went for the long term fix for $100.

BE warned though: This makes the fan INCREDIBLY LOUD. I mean ridiculously loud, like a dustbuster.

I think eventually I'm going to get a slim, and retire my current 80gb to a be back-up system, or take it to my cottage.

Got mine done today by Moe....seems like a good kid, works quickly, knowledgeable. For what it's worth, I'd vouch for him.
My nick doesn't mean I'm happy any more than yours means you're a sex machine.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2010
1336 posts
626 upvotes
Somewhere in Ontario
Anyone know of a place that does permanent fix with lead reball?
Sep 22, 2008
859 posts
84 upvotes
Happy13178 wrote: Got mine done today by Moe....seems like a good kid, works quickly, knowledgeable. For what it's worth, I'd vouch for him.

i got my ps3 fix from moe , good guy but kinda lie to me how loud the ps3 would be after he fix it , **** is mad loud cant even watch movies anymore :(
For sale /

scarborough/markham
Oct 11, 2008
72 posts
1 upvote
Uhm.. considering the amount of ppl here complaining about the permanent fix's fan noise... do u guys recommend it ? =/ I got the ylod yesterday and looking for a method to get it back and running.