• Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2022 10:22 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 25, 2007
767 posts
118 upvotes
Oakville
vegi-saurus wrote: I finally gave the DIY fix a shot and it's surprisingly easy! Now my 60GB is back in action baby! :cool:
My DIY didn't last. :mad: Time to work on it once again.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2006
1238 posts
700 upvotes
GTA
I'm highly considering water cooling my PS3. Some people think its a waste of money, what do you guys think?
Oct 11, 2008
72 posts
1 upvote
So I got my ps3 repaired today, and the fan is now at full speed now... how do u guys put up with this? Im thinking of going back and getting the fan speed adjusted because its getting really annoying.
Dec 11, 2009
7 posts
Toronto, ON
I got my ps3 fixed by Moe like almost 2 years ago, its still working and the fan speed seemed to have simmered down a bit from the day I got it. yea it was HELLA ANNOYING but at the end of the day it still works
Dec 15, 2007
10 posts
Toronto
I got my YLOD fixed by Moe a few months back. I did the non-permanent fix so the fan isn't noisy. So far, so good.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20524 posts
5981 upvotes
GTA
lol at his ad,

[QUOTE]call 647-997-6115 Moe and if unavailable please email. We are the most recommended in Toronto, google around "Moe Repairs RedFlag Deals"[/QUOTE]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 30, 2003
7497 posts
936 upvotes
coriolis wrote: lol at his ad,

Cute. But he does do good work, and I'd bet since people on here started recommending him he's done 4-5x more business. Not a bad side job for a high school kid. Better than putzing around at a McJob.
My nick doesn't mean I'm happy any more than yours means you're a sex machine.
Apr 6, 2011
7 posts
Hey guys,
I just had my system (60gig Fat) reballed by another home based ps3 repair guy and he's about half the price of most places and offers a 3 month warranty. He did tell me that my laser needs to be replaced as well because it's not working anymore. :(

He was pushing pretty hard to get me to bite but I don't think I'm gonna go through with a laser replacement. It's just way too expensive at the end of the day especially with the PS3 price drop. I'll probably just buy an new PS3 and transfer my data from my old one.

Does anyone know how much a reballed PS3 with a faulty laser goes for?
Oct 11, 2008
72 posts
1 upvote
rightfield wrote: In regards to Moe:http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-services-oth ... Z197046439

Did he offer any explanation why the fan is so loud after the repair?
The permanent fix, they hooked up the fan to the power supply so it's constantly running at the highest fan speed due to more power. This would optimize cooling for the PS3, it's just that the damn fan is noisy as hell.
Dec 13, 2008
37 posts
Vancouver, Canada
Hey guys does anybody know a reputable place in Canada to ship my PS3 to have its thermal paste replaced/inside cleaned? (it hasn't YLOD or anything) I've tried looking locally in Vancouver but no luck. Thanks.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2007
2227 posts
644 upvotes
So my friend needs his 80 GB MGS4 Bundle PS3 fixed. It got YLOD. Is Moe the best place to go? (My friend is in Scarborough area).
Sep 6, 2005
958 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
I am not sure what happened to my PS3, but...

1) The hard drive seems to be working, I do not get any error saying it is corrupted.
2) I tried doing the safe mode reset, but all I get is a blank screen
3) I don't think it is YLOD because all my lights are green light whenever turning it on

Any idea what could be the problem?

This is a 60gb Fat playstation 3. :( just hoping that I can have my saved data back if possible.
MY HEATWARE 8-0-0

100% Ebay Feedback!
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2004
1134 posts
135 upvotes
Anyone have updates on their PS3s that were fixed by Moe? I'm thinking about going to him.

Thanks!
Dec 11, 2009
7 posts
Toronto, ON
My ps3 still works, and the fan has simmered down since I got it repaired and Moe called me to check if my play station 3 was working. I think hes probably best person if your living in the Scarborough area
Nov 30, 2003
103 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
p1mp wrote: Anyone have updates on their PS3s that were fixed by Moe? I'm thinking about going to him.

Thanks!

Just had it done by him today. Really cool guy, I did the permanent fix so I know it's gonna be loud for the next while but it's worth it to save my launch day 60Gb PS3.
Jan 8, 2004
250 posts
7 upvotes
Just like to add a comment on my experience with ylod ps3s. December 2010, I bought a 40gb with ylod. Followed a youtube guide from bilksey - did the reflow with a flux pen and heat gun (from cdn tire). This got the system working for about 3 weeks. Reflowed the chips again and then somehow the blu-ray drive stopped working, something came loose inside and it got worse after I opened it up to investigate.

I find another ylod 80gb ps2 compatible for the price of a ds lite. Again I perform a reflow, but held the heatgun 3x longer (1min) and much closer (<10cm from pcb) than usual on all the parts. Also, from noticing that the 40gb had a very hot power supply, I figured a fanless psu sitting on the pcb is probably helping with the thermal overload on the solder.

So I leave the top cover off, stick an old northbridge heatsink under the blu-ray drive (allow more airflow onto pcb), and propped up a usb fan (thermaltake mobile fan 12) a few inches from the front of the power supply.

Now it's 10months later and the ps3 is still going strong. With bf3 coming, hopefully the blu-ray drive will last and probably face another usb fan (120mm silverstone) onto the psu or under the blu-ray.

Essentially, the thermal design of the ps3 is terrible and having the top case on traps much of the heat the fanless powersupplies produce. Try opening the top and pushing air at the powersupply to give relief to the pcb board and perhaps gain more life out of your system.

Thanks for reading.
Oct 11, 2008
687 posts
78 upvotes
Trois-Rivi
Dangard Ace wrote: Just had it done by him today. Really cool guy, I did the permanent fix so I know it's gonna be loud for the next while but it's worth it to save my launch day 60Gb PS3.

Its loud like a plane taking off haha.

I did the same fix, other then it taking a bit longer to load games it runs pretty good
Nov 30, 2003
103 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Barack.H.Obama wrote: Its loud like a plane taking off haha.

I did the same fix, other then it taking a bit longer to load games it runs pretty good

It is! Thing is I play alot at night and it's too noisy. Can't crank up the home theatre to overpower the fan without pissing everyone off. I may end up calling moe and seeing if he can switch it back to the normal fan setup. or at least see if he can put some resistors in and slow that fan down.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2006
2907 posts
175 upvotes
Toronto ontario
Dangard Ace wrote: It is! Thing is I play alot at night and it's too noisy. Can't crank up the home theatre to overpower the fan without pissing everyone off. I may end up calling moe and seeing if he can switch it back to the normal fan setup. or at least see if he can put some resistors in and slow that fan down.

why not use headphones?
"Truth is High, Higher Still is Truthful Living" Guru Nanak