Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

(YMMV) $50 GC (50,000 Points) With 100$ CIBC Air Canada Conversion Card using Drop App

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 22nd, 2018 9:57 am
Apr 8, 2016
252 posts
483 upvotes
Toronto
ibuddler wrote: Then please explain why it keeps asking me for my bank verification questions even I answered them all right? Can you 100% make sure they don't store my bank account info? If it just works like GCR or ebates why the hell does it need to link my bank account? Actually it forces you to link an account or you won't be able to open the app. Just for that I can call it fraud.

I don't trust anything forcing you to link your bank account because there's absolutely no need for that. I'm Okay to link my credit card but not banking account. Plus I don't need to do any research to know this common sense and protect myself. You trust all these so called secured technologies but you know what? Even Equifax was hacked a while ago. You will be regret to mess up your bank account for this little $51.5 gift card rewards.
There's a reason why included (YMMV) as first word of the post. I have clearly mentioned that I'm in no way affiliated to drop. From what I think, you either didn't understand the concept of how it works or frustrated as it didn't work out for you. If you did, you wouldn't ask me to assure the safety of your information.

Since you are so confident about this being a scam, You might have to write an email to CIBC, forbes and business insider and other participants educating them about common sense ask them not to encourage such apps. Those mere 50$ rewards are for a single offer within the app.
I believe that anything more than 50% of its original price is not a good deal
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2003
3009 posts
1629 upvotes
ibuddler wrote: Then please explain why it keeps asking me for my bank verification questions even I answered them all right? Can you 100% make sure they don't store my bank account info? If it just works like GCR or ebates why the hell does it need to link my bank account? Actually it forces you to link an account or you won't be able to open the app. Just for that I can call it fraud.

I don't trust anything forcing you to link your bank account because there's absolutely no need for that. I'm Okay to link my credit card but not banking account. Plus I don't need to do any research to know this common sense and protect myself. You trust all these so called secured technologies but you know what? Even Equifax was hacked a while ago. You will be regret to mess up your bank account for this little $51.5 gift card rewards.

I am very wary of these things and initially I was under the impression that drop had some sort of special deal with businesses where they received data on activity of your "registered credit card" at that said merchant but now I know this is more about wholesale data mining on your usage and you are being rewarded for your data. I bet the individual merchants don't have much to do with it, you are just being paid pennies for giving access to all your information.

It is akin to Mint with perhaps more ulterior motives and I am not interested. I would advice extreme caution to anybody who is participating in this matter because no matter the security, the more parties that know your details, the more you expose yourself to risk and of course, your bank's guarantee would be null and void for sharing your login and password with a third party.
Loose lips sink ships. | His Majesty's Naval Service
Apr 8, 2016
252 posts
483 upvotes
Toronto
McMaggot wrote: I am very wary of these things and initially I was under the impression that drop had some sort of special deal with businesses where they received data on activity of your "registered credit card" at that said merchant but now I know this is more about wholesale data mining on your usage and you are being rewarded for your data. I bet the individual merchants don't have much to do with it, you are just being paid pennies for giving access to all your information.

It is akin to Mint with perhaps more ulterior motives and I am not interested. I would advice extreme caution to anybody who is participating in this matter because no matter the security, the more parties that know your details, the more you expose yourself to risk and of course, your bank's guarantee would be null and void for sharing your login and password with a third party.
Initially I thought the same. But, their profit model says otherwise. They get paid by the retailers and they get gift cards at discounted prices which they give to their app users.
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
26763 posts
9332 upvotes
where I belong
Speaking of ACC, just today I got a new ACC offer - $10 points when you reload ACC with $100+ CAD of foreign currency on your linked card
so I'll probably load $80 USD and report back
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's Mega Thread of Credit Cards Q&A
Jul 31, 2015
915 posts
561 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Did the sign up two days ago. Got the points. Thanks OP.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2014
3352 posts
2339 upvotes
Langley
I did this when I first signed up for DROP.. Then I got this offer again, can I sign up for it again?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 22, 2015
6184 posts
4811 upvotes
Saint-Hubert, QC
Anyway to add credit card without logging into your account?
Alterna Bank Thread

TFSA Portfolio: ATD|CNQ|NA|SJ
RRSP Portfolio: ELV|URI|WSM
Apr 8, 2016
252 posts
483 upvotes
Toronto
MoneyHypeMike wrote: Anyway to add credit card without logging into your account?
Try adding credit card without banking facilities, for ex; Costco capital one, PC etc. It might work
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
9826 posts
5822 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Rohith2016 wrote: There's a reason why included (YMMV) as first word of the post. I have clearly mentioned that I'm in no way affiliated to drop. From what I think, you either didn't understand the concept of how it works or frustrated as it didn't work out for you. If you did, you wouldn't ask me to assure the safety of your information.

Since you are so confident about this being a scam, You might have to write an email to CIBC, forbes and business insider and other participants educating them about common sense ask them not to encourage such apps. Those mere 50$ rewards are for a single offer within the app.
When you cross the road at pedestrian signal, you are suppose to be safe, until some distracted driver didn't stop at the light and take your life away.
It is 100% their fault to kill you, but at the end of the day, no matter how much your family is going to get from your death, you are dead!
The main point is it is not about right or wrong. It is not about who is suppose to do what. Eventually, your well being is your own responsibility.
Do you want to put the fate of your life on the hand of a stranger (the distracted driver) that you never even meet?

The banks actually have it in the fine prints that told you not to share the credentials with anyone else, including 3rd party apps of course. They edited it after mint became popular.
McMaggot wrote: ...your bank's guarantee would be null and void for sharing your login and password with a third party.
That is exactly it. You are no longer covered once your share your credentials.
It is a pain in the a.. to change all the password and security questions.

There is no amount of rewards that can out weight the security of your identity and financial security.
If they actually get access to your bank account, it is not just the money that you should worry about.
They have all your info. Name, address, DOB, SIN.
They have your everything. If you say you do not fear them, you should.
It only take one angry employee to breach the integrity of the system.
Last edited by theflyingsquirrel on Dec 15th, 2017 9:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
Deal Fanatic
Jul 22, 2015
6184 posts
4811 upvotes
Saint-Hubert, QC
Rohith2016 wrote: Try adding credit card without banking facilities, for ex; Costco capital one, PC etc. It might work
Stills ask to log into account to add
Alterna Bank Thread

TFSA Portfolio: ATD|CNQ|NA|SJ
RRSP Portfolio: ELV|URI|WSM
Apr 8, 2016
252 posts
483 upvotes
Toronto
[quote=MoneyHypeMike post_id=28645854 time=1513348264 user_id=1225943]
Stills ask to log into account to add
[/quote]

I meant credit card account without banking facilities. If it makes you feel any better use something with low credit and use it on a daily basis. Even if it compromised as the flying squirrel's worried, you don't have to worry about it. If you are still not sure, let it go.
Apr 8, 2016
252 posts
483 upvotes
Toronto
theflyingsquirrel wrote: When you cross the road at pedestrian signal, you are suppose to be safe, until some distracted driver didn't stop at the light and take your life away.
It is 100% their fault to kill you, but at the end of the day, no matter how much your family is going to get from your death, you are dead!
The main point is it is not about right or wrong. It is not about who is suppose to do what. Eventually, your well being is your own responsibility.
Do you want to put the fate of your life on the hand of a stranger (the distracted driver) that you never even meet?

The banks actually have it in the fine prints that told you not to share the credentials with anyone else, including 3rd party apps of course. They edited it after mint became popular.

There is no amount of rewards that can out weight the security of your identity and financial security.
If they actually get access to your bank account, it is not just the money that you should worry about.
MoneyHypeMike wrote: Stills ask to log into account to add
You must be real fun at parties eh? Those comparisons of dying and killing, I wouldn't even think of it in a million years. I would suggest you to change back to conventional banking, if possible. Because, angry employees can be anywhere including banks :p
Apr 8, 2016
252 posts
483 upvotes
Toronto
theflyingsquirrel wrote: Finally someone who can tell the difference. Thanks God.
I am extremely regret that I added my bank account and cc login to the 3rd party app.
If the bank or CC company found out you shared the login info with a 3rd party app, they will NOT cover your loss if your cc info is stolen.
All your peace of mind is gone at the moment you share your login info with them.
I will have to change all login and password after I get the $50. The point did not credit instantly.
And I will have to change all of the password in all my banking and cc account. Not just the one that I linked.
Such a pain for $50. Lesson learnt. This is a lot worse than having my credit card stolen.
ibuddler wrote: This is a spam!! I download the app and it asks for my mobile phone number to register. I gave it. Then it asks me to link my bank! I tried to link my BMO online account but it asks me security questions 5 time! Each time is different and I typed all the answers but it still didn't let me in!

This is a spam app tried to steal your bank info. I'm so regret to type in all the answers and now I have to change all the questions!

Be aware!!! Mod needs to remove this!

theflyingsquirrel wrote: When you cross the road at pedestrian signal, you are suppose to be safe, until some distracted driver didn't stop at the light and take your life away.

Security FAQs

Why does Drop need my financial information?
We track your transactional data to reward you with points seamlessly, so you don't have to carry extra cards or open new apps.

What information does Drop see from my linked account?
Drop only sees your transaction data. We never see your account balance or any other personal information linked to your account.

How are you able to access my transaction data without storing my account credentials?
To access your transaction data, our system transforms your credentials into a key that is meaningless out of context, even to us. No one will be able to tell from our system which account is yours once linked.

Does Drop see my account balances?
No, we only see your transaction level data.

Source: https://www.earnwithdrop.com/pages/security

You can write them to get clear answers to your questions.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2009
1922 posts
1195 upvotes
Calgary
Rohith2016 wrote: There's a reason why included (YMMV) as first word of the post. I have clearly mentioned that I'm in no way affiliated to drop. From what I think, you either didn't understand the concept of how it works or frustrated as it didn't work out for you. If you did, you wouldn't ask me to assure the safety of your information.

Well you posted your referral code at beginning...

You might think your personal identity is only worth $50. But others may value theirs more than that.

I just made a post to let others know this app requires to link your online bank account. However such information shouldn't be required since it's not a payment app and it has nothing to do with your banking. You don't agree with this.

The reason I call it's a spam because it collects your personal information, your online banking information. You will never know one day they sell all your information to third party. Nowadays I don't even trust the government and why would I give my bank info to a third party?

Also I don't need to write emails to CIBC, forbes and business insider or other participants. They get either paid by Drop or get user base from Drop. THEY DO NOT CARE one cent about Drop users personal information security. Can you sue CIBC, Forbes, BI for your loss because of Drop? You are logically wrong or too naive. They promote this app because it will bring them revenue! You trust this app because of all these big participants is like trust Lehman Brothers would never be bankrupted and financial crisis would never happen in 2008.
Nov 13, 2016
323 posts
393 upvotes
How long does it take for the points to post after ordering the card?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
9826 posts
5822 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Rohith2016 wrote:

I meant credit card account without banking facilities. If it makes you feel any better use something with low credit and use it on a daily basis. Even if it compromised as the flying squirrel's worried, you don't have to worry about it. If you are still not sure, let it go.
Can you tell me why you don't need to worry about it?
Here is a scenario:
- You share you CC login credential with a 3rd party app
- You cc was stolen and someone used $2000 to buy e gift card that was transferred to another account
- You cc company found out you shared your info with a 3rd party app
- They now have an excuse to not cover the $2000 loss
- You are now liable to repay that $2000.
Now, do you still think you don't need to worry about it?
Rohith2016 wrote: Security FAQs

Why does Drop need my financial information?
We track your transactional data to reward you with points seamlessly, so you don't have to carry extra cards or open new apps.

What information does Drop see from my linked account?
Drop only sees your transaction data. We never see your account balance or any other personal information linked to your account.

How are you able to access my transaction data without storing my account credentials?
To access your transaction data, our system transforms your credentials into a key that is meaningless out of context, even to us. No one will be able to tell from our system which account is yours once linked.

Does Drop see my account balances?
No, we only see your transaction level data.

Source: https://www.earnwithdrop.com/pages/security

You can write them to get clear answers to your questions.
I still don't get why you keep posting what DROP said in their FAQ.
Why you put you life in the hand of strangers (drivers) ?
Will a con artist tell you he is stealing your information? Or is he going to say whatever you want to hear to get what he wants?

I especially like the part you said "You can write them to get clear answers to your questions."
You ask a con artist can you trust him. I wonder what is he going to say.

When Jon Snow told people the undead is coming. No one trusted him.
Is the threat real?

Only believers can be saved.
Now, I sound like a cult. lol
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
Apr 8, 2016
252 posts
483 upvotes
Toronto
By you don't need to worry about it, I meant you are providing not your main banking account with your savings and debit card details and you don't have to worry about it. And everything you mentioned here is "If" scenario.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2015
2684 posts
3199 upvotes
Love this app. Linked my scene visa so I get scene points and then drop points also. I have $4 earned for doing nothing that I normally wouldn't do. Linker carrot rewards also.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)