• Last Updated:
  • Sep 29th, 2020 10:36 pm
[OP]
Jul 11, 2009
720 posts
392 upvotes
Canada

YMMV deals should be banned

Pretty frustrating to read the endless cell phone YMMV deals threads only to never be able to get the 'deal'.

This also applies to other YMMV posts. What about just banning the practice of posting anything that is not widely available, or maybe maiking a sub subforum for YMMV deals?
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5198 posts
1990 upvotes
Toronto
ben35 wrote: Pretty frustrating to read the endless cell phone YMMV deals threads only to never be able to get the 'deal'.

This also applies to other YMMV posts. What about just banning the practice of posting anything that is not widely available, or maybe maiking a sub subforum for YMMV deals?
That means you'd only end up with deals that are online and/or available from nationwide retailers, though.

Personally I think we should define YMMV better. Like if a deal is in-store, the fact that you may go to the store and it's sold out, in my opinion that's not YMMV, that's just the nature of stores. The fact that your Walmart may not have the item doesn't make the Canada-wide Walmart deal YMMV or expired. I think YMMV speaks more to things that aren't cut and dried - like if you have to negotiate for a deal, or badger customer service to give you a discount code, or retentions, or if it's an obvious price error, or if it's a personalized code from a newsletter or something and you don't know if everyone got it, or things like that. Right now, YMMV is basically used everywhere as a shield against people downvoting because their store didn't have something or that store doesn't exist in their area or things that really just make me kind of sad about the community. YMMV should really just be for the deals that are a little bit sketchy when you think about them long enough.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8567 posts
3959 upvotes
Markham
ben35 wrote: Pretty frustrating to read the endless cell phone YMMV deals threads only to never be able to get the 'deal'.

People will just remove YMMV" from title and continue to post them:))
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
25044 posts
4241 upvotes
YMMV deals are often available to a lot of people, just not everyone. YMMV deals are some of the best deals you can get. While not available to everyone, eventually one will be available to you, and you'll be thankful someone alerted you to it.
Apr 29, 2018
833 posts
478 upvotes
Vancouver
It is the same for us that live in non-GTA areas, such as BC. More than half the deals are not available to us
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8567 posts
3959 upvotes
Markham
kramer1 wrote: It is the same for us that live in non-GTA areas, such as BC. More than half the deals are not available to us
Better than Quebec:)))
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
6499 posts
5998 upvotes
Richmond Hill
It's the thrill of the hunt
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Sep 3, 2019
515 posts
319 upvotes
GTA
Sometimes, a deal looks like it's for everyone, but is only YMMV, while other times, it's just not easy to tell if it's YMMV, especially if you're a newbie.

At worst, a deal I'm not eligible for is only going to waste a minute out of my day. That's a good tradeoff for the potential benefit or even just the knowledge of a deal (which I can tell others who aren't on RFD about).
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2015
1111 posts
629 upvotes
NOYB
i don't see much point in 'banning" - doing so would turn away people with good intentions from contributing to the site.

after all a lot of users do not work for rfd - they are just sharing whatever they can around themselves.

getting the proper description of the deal would be the key, which relies heavily on individual posters and mods..

BTW i don't have much luck in ymmv deals myself so i generally avoid them.
Zoomer + VoIP.ms user

Stay away from OT/PRC and whoever acts like an xxxxxxx there.
Sep 3, 2019
515 posts
319 upvotes
GTA
Here's a pretty good example of what I said in my previous post:

I joined Amazon Prime on a 6 month student trial then at the student rate of $39/year. I've been out of school for 5+ years and have not had a student email account in probably 4 years. Clearly a YMMV post imo as it's only supposed to be for students. My reply in the thread prompted someone to PM me how I snagged the promo. Also shared the deal with a friend whose returned to school.

Someone posted about a Bell internet deal few days ago. Total YMMV. I wasn't eligible, but when going my account I did learn I can upgrade my plan for an extra $10 - calling in tomorrow to inquire about it actually. I've had a lot on my mind recently and I wouldn't have thought to check my account if they hadn't posted about it. It's unfortunate OP's deal didn't work out for me, but thanks to their post, I might snag another deal, which is sure as hell better than nothing.

I have everything to gain from YMMV posts and nothing to lose except a few minutes here and there. And If I don't have a few minutes to spare here and there then I have bigger problems then a YMMV post
Aug 20, 2009
7993 posts
2920 upvotes
Grimsby
It's a pretty easy thing to ignore and Tom has mentioned they're working on new filtering for this sort of thing in the future. YMMV deals and price errors have been responsible for some of my best finds on here so I disagree they should be banned. I have noticed that some YMMV deals hang around in Hot Deals too long though.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
14302 posts
26757 upvotes
Scarborough
Redmask wrote: It's a pretty easy thing to ignore and Tom has mentioned they're working on new filtering for this sort of thing in the future. YMMV deals and price errors have been responsible for some of my best finds on here so I disagree they should be banned. I have noticed that some YMMV deals hang around in Hot Deals too long though.
We're still planning on including a YMMV/Targetted filter option when we start working on our Hot Deals personalization project. That should help users who don't want to see these types of deals (although I also agree that these can be some of the best deals). In addition there's the already existing Thread Hiding feature which you can use to hide any thread, including YMMV deals, and then never have to see them again. For how often YMMV deals pop up, this feature might even be enough for most people who dislike seeing YMMV deals.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
11014 posts
7362 upvotes
GTA, ON
YMMV deals is what built RFD in the early days.

The problem here is that posters are not putting enough information (location) in the thread title, and not the deal itself. For cell plans, posters should be specifically labelling what province they're in.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!