Hot Deals

[Shoppers Drug Mart] [YMMV] [PC Optimum App] Spend upto $400 by Oct 31, get back 100,000 PC Optimum points

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 22nd, 2019 9:35 am
Apr 14, 2017
508 posts
462 upvotes
Got 20x points for milk offer instead. That's a better deal for me since the only things I buy at sdm is dairy.
Nov 18, 2009
188 posts
45 upvotes
Elysianlight wrote:
Aug 1st, 2019 6:13 pm
My offers are hot garbage. At least I get 200 pts for every dollar spent on zuchini?
200 pts for zucchini?? You lucky son of a b****.
Jan 19, 2007
533 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
tdracer wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2019 8:09 am
If only there was some kind of way of communicating sale prices from a store to a consumer. If you can come up with some sort of mechanism to do so, you would become rich.

I personally came up with an idea of a circular of deals I called a walker (because we walked around delivering them to customers) but it didn't fly.
Haha . Nice one.

But seriously, "sale" prices at shoppers in the fliers are still overpriced when comparing same product at another retailer. I suppose the other issue is spending on things you don't want or need just to get the bonus.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2011
1428 posts
1483 upvotes
Halifax
no8t4 wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2019 8:55 am
Haha . Nice one.

But seriously, "sale" prices at shoppers in the fliers are still overpriced when comparing same product at another retailer. I suppose the other issue is spending on things you don't want or need just to get the bonus.
all of them? all the sale prices are overpriced when comparing to another retailer? what retailer is this? I mean there is a thread just on the coffee alone. You can't seriously mean that all their sale prices are still overpriced.

Instead of generalities, give an example using the current flier. Since you infer all try to pick 3 or 4 items that are overpriced still and I will pick 3 items that are not.

edit: and to keep this comment on topic, I just want to point out a few people's misconception on the OP's offer. This is in addition to any and all other offers. For people who say the 15k for 35 is better or 20x milk is better, this is in addition to it. So you could have this offer AND the 20x

As a general example if you completed the $400 and received the 100k points = $100 value you could realisically achieve the following:

20x milk coupon with 20x event + 25% bonus points of OP = 85% of total spent returned back in points
20x event + 20% points for in app product items (such as zuchinni :) , or more easily useable peanut butter, bread, etc) + 25% = 75% back in points

I have a 12000pts when spend $30 on suncare. When I compare sunscreen products they are the same or cheaper than anywhere else. This weekend I will get 21k points for $30 spend on it. If I had OPs offer ( I don't which sucks for me) I would be getting 28.5k points back on a $30 spend. I doubt you can find anything remotely close that competes in price.
Dec 8, 2011
900 posts
808 upvotes
Toronto
no8t4 wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2019 7:39 am
What do you guys buy at shoppers at such a high $$ spend? I find most of their stuff overpriced to begin with which often times negates the bonus points.

I buy all of my toiletries at SDM. 2 weeks ago Dove was $2.99 and I had 2 personal offers for it plus instore offer and $3 off coupon for buying two PLUS 20x. In the end everything was free plus extra points. Free because I went to No Frills right after to spend on needed groceries.

This week flyer that ended yesterday was same thing. $2.99 on sale, plus the double offers and instore and CO51.

Coupons work like cash, so even if I did not pay $50 ( threshold amount for 20x) I still receive those points. And that amounts counts toward the threshold for the offer in this thread.

I buy milk, bread, eggs, snacks for the kids, juice, make up, toothpaste etc that is the same price elsewhere or even cents cheaper.

I don’t buy anything there without a coupon. But that’s just me. And I’m not into electronics either.

Moral of the story, know your prices for everyday items. You will find SDM to be in par with the rest of the stores.
Aug 30, 2013
485 posts
314 upvotes
prairies
So the Nintendo Switch is 399. If I buy a filler make this too $401, I'll reach my $400 spend treshhold for the 100000 PC points. So that is 100000 PC points. Then, with 20x points today, 15pnts*$401= 6015pnts x 20= 120,300. So now I am at 220,300 back after spending 448,000 points (taxes included). So should be looking at equivalent of ~227,000 pnts outlay for the Nintendo switch, if calculations done correctly.
Am I missing anything? Any additional points for using PCMC WE?
Jan 19, 2007
533 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
tdracer wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2019 9:08 am
all of them? all the sale prices are overpriced when comparing to another retailer? what retailer is this? I mean there is a thread just on the coffee alone. You can't seriously mean that all their sale prices are still overpriced.

Instead of generalities, give an example using the current flier. Since you infer all try to pick 3 or 4 items that are overpriced still and I will pick 3 items that are not.

edit: and to keep this comment on topic, I just want to point out a few people's misconception on the OP's offer. This is in addition to any and all other offers. For people who say the 15k for 35 is better or 20x milk is better, this is in addition to it. So you could have this offer AND the 20x

As a general example if you completed the $400 and received the 100k points = $100 value you could realisically achieve the following:

20x milk coupon with 20x event + 25% bonus points of OP = 85% of total spent returned back in points
20x event + 20% points for in app product items (such as zuchinni :) , or more easily useable peanut butter, bread, etc) + 25% = 75% back in points

I have a 12000pts when spend $30 on suncare. When I compare sunscreen products they are the same or cheaper than anywhere else. This weekend I will get 21k points for $30 spend on it. If I had OPs offer ( I don't which sucks for me) I would be getting 28.5k points back on a $30 spend. I doubt you can find anything remotely close that competes in price.
No, not everything. I didn't infer as such. But many products are. Sorry, I'm not going to pull specific examples because i think it's common knowledge that products vary in price in varying shops. Additionally, I caveated with my second point of the high spend needed to redeem some of the offers. It's of course depending on each individual's wants and needs for products. I find it hard to find enough things to buy (that I need without frivolous spending) that are of a competitive price when they run the normal promos. Taking your example of suncare products for example, if I bought$30 worth, $20 of it works expire before I can use it. Again, that's my personal experience. Which is why I asked the original question - to try and find out if there's anything I may have missed.
Jun 2, 2012
187 posts
134 upvotes
NORTH YORK
I don’t think it’s targeted towards very casual
Shoppers - I’ve made one purchase there in the last 3 years and returned half of it. (Spent about $350, returned $~200). I also constantly have shoppers offers in the app.

Was in a rush leaving on a a last minute trip and it was the only place open past 11 but then ended up leaving a day later so made the same purchases at far more reasonable prices at other stores.

Overall, as I walked around, my eyeballs popped out. Some prices are just ludicrous!

I get that people shop the sales, but still... the prices seemed very excessive to me. And for most items, the difference might seem minor, but that extra $1 or .50 or $2 add up fast when you are buying a lot of items at the same time. And quickly becomes obvious that you just spent a bunch of extra money due to your own poor planning.
Dec 14, 2018
25 posts
53 upvotes
I went today, bought a $25 SDM gift card and can confirm that it does not count towards the promo. Was going to do a large 20x shop today but realized the flyer doesn’t start until tomorrow. So I’ll go back tomorrow to do my shop.
Dec 9, 2001
194 posts
35 upvotes
Vancouver
I got this offer back in July, valid until August 31. Posted it in the PC thread, but didn't look like anyone had it at the time.
I was going to buy a $10 gift card to test but I procrastinated. Probably stacks with 20x, but not sure.
Jul 14, 2019
23 posts
3 upvotes
ShocWave wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2019 3:42 pm
I got this offer back in July, valid until August 31. Posted it in the PC thread, but didn't look like anyone had it at the time.
I was going to buy a $10 gift card to test but I procrastinated. Probably stacks with 20x, but not sure.
I have 1) 15,000pts back on $35 purchase
2) 20X points with $50+ pusrchases
Can I get them both in one transaction. Are these offers stackable ?

TIA
Dec 21, 2007
824 posts
381 upvotes
moncton
marcfar wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2019 10:40 am
So the Nintendo Switch is 399. If I buy a filler make this too $401, I'll reach my $400 spend treshhold for the 100000 PC points. So that is 100000 PC points. Then, with 20x points today, 15pnts*$401= 6015pnts x 20= 120,300. So now I am at 220,300 back after spending 448,000 points (taxes included). So should be looking at equivalent of ~227,000 pnts outlay for the Nintendo switch, if calculations done correctly.
Am I missing anything? Any additional points for using PCMC WE?
Should be. Like equivalent of 5% I believe.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
6756 posts
2514 upvotes
Calgary
I have the insiders subscription, shop there at least once a week and spend at least $100 each month, still, I got nothing, not even the 20x the pt for milk. Damn it, Shoppers!
Jul 5, 2018
181 posts
587 upvotes
gemenichic wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2019 2:54 pm
I don’t think it’s targeted towards very casual
Shoppers - I’ve made one purchase there in the last 3 years and returned half of it. (Spent about $350, returned $~200). I also constantly have shoppers offers in the app.

Was in a rush leaving on a a last minute trip and it was the only place open past 11 but then ended up leaving a day later so made the same purchases at far more reasonable prices at other stores.

Overall, as I walked around, my eyeballs popped out. Some prices are just ludicrous!

I get that people shop the sales, but still... the prices seemed very excessive to me. And for most items, the difference might seem minor, but that extra $1 or .50 or $2 add up fast when you are buying a lot of items at the same time. And quickly becomes obvious that you just spent a bunch of extra money due to your own poor planning.
You buy certain things at any store not on sale and you see bad prices often. Shoppers I will exclusively buy stuff that either has a similar price, or stuff that has a deal. For example:
I once bought anti perspirants that are $4.00 non sale price at walmart/superstore. Whne they go on sale they're $2.50 each. At shoppers they were 2 for 6 and get 2000 points. No sale they were like 5. Lots of times when they do sales they'll still have point offers like that or not take them off. I bought them during a 20x points event. So for every $6 I spent I got back about $3.80 in points. That makes each cost me about $1.10. I will use it regardless so I stocked up and got like 6 as they don't really expire.

One time there was a way to triple stack points on Brookside chocolates. An instore offer. An app offer, and 20x points. Let's just say I spent $150 on chocolate. I gave about 70% of it away since I don't need $150 in chocolate obviously. I got back $220 worth of points.

If you need a Nintendo switch for example it's similar price almost everywhere. So if you buy it during a 20% off event you're getting it 20% cheaper than elsewhere. Also sometimes there's a 20x points offer on the same day. This leads to it being about 40ish percent cheaper than other stores.

It's all about what you buy and when you buy it regardless of what store you go to. For example at a grocery store I'll stock up on lots of chicken thighs, sausage, etc when it's on sale then freeze it. Saves me about 50%-60% off regular price. Just have to think what you buy and plan regardless of store.

With any store you just have to know how to work it and get the most out of it.

With 20x optimum offer you're essentially getting about 30% of your purchase back in points. So thats almost always the best time to buy from shoppers. Also timing those purchases for stuff you see on sale that you don't need to worry about expiration much (toiletries, Advil, cosmetics, period pads, electronics, etc), or those with a decent shelf life (bacon, eggs, butter, beverages, etc) can give some good deals. But yeah, i don't ussually go to shoppers unless there's at least a 20x offer.

If you happened to get this posts offer, and also a 20x offer you'd essentially be looking at 55% back in points which is pretty sweet. Esspecially if you time for sales or other deals.
Dec 21, 2007
824 posts
381 upvotes
moncton
Poutinesauce wrote:
Aug 1st, 2019 2:06 pm
I'm not even able to buy enough for a $25 SDM offer for 8000 points in bonus, without buying anything that is grossly overpriced.

Stop thinking that these offers make you save money, they absolutely do not.
I spent $130 tonight, arguably I might have spent a $10-15 premium over shopping at Amazon or finding better deals here and there BUT I also got 58000 points. So even if I "overpaid" by $15 I'm still $43 ahead (in points).

Didn't get the offer in the OP by the way which would have made my dealings much better. I also get an extra 5% back in points at Shoppers using the WEMC.