• Jan 18th, 2020 10:28 am
[OP]
Sep 7, 2006
683 posts
333 upvotes

YMMV - Plex Lifetime Pass 99.99 CAD

Price:
Hey guys.

For those who aren't subscribed to a monthly rate from Plex may sign up for the lifetime pass. YMMV as it shows up in your inbox with a unique code.

I promised myself I wouldn't pay a dime for the pass but I believe I've used it enough to justify it's benefits and to support the devs
38 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2008
1452 posts
323 upvotes
GTA
Does the lifetime pass stop plex from adding their suggested content to my home screen? Seems like it constantly brings back suggestions every few days/week.
[OP]
Sep 7, 2006
683 posts
333 upvotes
dieselboy27 wrote: Does the lifetime pass stop plex from adding their suggested content to my home screen? Seems like it constantly brings back suggestions every few days/week.

I doubt it ? You are able to remove those recommendations from the main page in the settings. I tried this feature on my Android but the app keeps crashing. Maybe due to greenify and root
Last edited by IceCreamGee on Jan 16th, 2020 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 8, 2010
253 posts
209 upvotes
Calgary
For the uninitiated what are the benefits of Plex? vs any other subscription service?
May 28, 2007
256 posts
210 upvotes
CALGARY
targa88 wrote: For the uninitiated what are the benefits of Plex? vs any other subscription service?
Ability to host your own server with your own library of movies/music/pictures
Aug 15, 2013
799 posts
406 upvotes
Guelph
milkmilk wrote: Ability to host your own server with your own library of movies/music/pictures
This can be done without the Plex pass i.e. with the free version too.
Oct 20, 2018
37 posts
19 upvotes
You can access your own server via mobile app over internet/wifi
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2008
1452 posts
323 upvotes
GTA
It also automatically downloads cover art and synopses for tv and movies.
Feb 14, 2006
249 posts
176 upvotes
targa88 wrote: For the uninitiated what are the benefits of Plex? vs any other subscription service?
Live TV beta support (antenna/cable feed from a supported capture device), lyrics with your music, WAN viewing from mobiles, sync content to mobile devices and PC, server level hardware transcoding on all (default is only HW on Nvidia shield and a QNAP iirc). Few other perks and alpha access to new features while beta features remain buggy, etc..

Personally, jellyfin is free and I think it works better. Can sync for free, record or share live TV with any user, plugins... Id say use the money to buy good hardware that works with it right now instead of a plex sub. I've dabbled in "all of them" over the past decade. Media Brower to emby to jellyfin and plex... Eventually, the devs hit a point where they need money. the users mostly opt to buy lifetime, then never pay them any money again... This brings things out like tidal, newsletters, and AVOD to entice new paying customers while things like live TV remain in beta and broken that their 'old' customers wanted... Just my two cents.
Last edited by Ruciz on Jan 15th, 2020 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 19, 2011
230 posts
107 upvotes
The biggest single benefits of Plex Pass are DVR functionality and offline downloads (handy if you're travelling). Everything else works just fine in normal Plex, where the main functionality is to host your own streaming media.
Aug 30, 2007
27 posts
4 upvotes
Montreal
Seems like every time Plex offers a rebate on Lifetime, it goes up by 10$.
I was 79$ this summer, 89$ during BF and xmas, now up to 99$.
Feb 14, 2006
249 posts
176 upvotes
StephInMtl wrote: Seems like every time Plex offers a rebate on Lifetime, it goes up by 10$.
I was 79$ this summer, 89$ during BF and xmas, now up to 99$.
I've only ever seen $75USD which has worked out to near $100 CAD for the last 1.5 years. If you get below the $75USD/$100CAD it is a good deal, provided you will benefit from the plex pass perks.
Jun 11, 2015
152 posts
182 upvotes
Montreal
I hate the direction plex is going, I'll stay with emby.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
2016 posts
1523 upvotes
Vancouver
If anyone has a spare code I would absolutely love one
Aug 30, 2007
27 posts
4 upvotes
Montreal
Ruciz wrote: I've only ever seen $75USD which has worked out to near $100 CAD for the last 1.5 years. If you get below the $75USD/$100CAD it is a good deal, provided you will benefit from the plex pass perks.
You are 100% correct. I forgot those were USD.