Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2008
1454 posts
716 upvotes

York Region - Healthy Yards - Rain Barrels, Composters and plants on sale

Deal Link:
Savings:
50% off
Rain Barrels, Composters and native plants for sale. About 50-75% off from retail.

https://eservices.richmondhill.ca/healthyyards/
There are 10 kinds of people in the world... Those who understand binary and those who don't 💡
109 replies
Jan 12, 2007
358 posts
204 upvotes
Thanks.
The rain barrels are already of out stock Disappointed Face
Jun 5, 2017
49 posts
36 upvotes
This seems like it happens once a year ... wondering if the dates are fixed? would be great to get a rain barrel
Jul 29, 2013
292 posts
170 upvotes
Toronto
Allowing people to purchase 5 barrels at once shouldn't be allowed. I'm thinking if you're home is large enough for 5 of these to be placed around then you are definitely able to afford purchase it for full price...
Sep 4, 2015
334 posts
301 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Yeah they make us line up in Waterloo and we can only get one per household but the lineup is massive.
Clocksmith25 wrote: Allowing people to purchase 5 barrels at once shouldn't be allowed. I'm thinking if you're home is large enough for 5 of these to be placed around then you are definitely able to afford purchase it for full price...
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
2291 posts
2957 upvotes
Toronto
Clocksmith25 wrote: Allowing people to purchase 5 barrels at once shouldn't be allowed. I'm thinking if you're home is large enough for 5 of these to be placed around then you are definitely able to afford purchase it for full price...
lol, what logic is this. Not everyone lives in the subdivision can cookie cutters. There are older single detached houses on massive lots in older neighborhoods. They can be had for 600k.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
45920 posts
6412 upvotes
Richmond Hill
sonyminidiscman wrote: lol, what logic is this. Not everyone lives in the subdivision can cookie cutters. There are older single detached houses on massive lots in older neighborhoods. They can be had for 600k.
Fair, but 5 is a bit much. Most detached homes don't even have that many downspouts.
Jul 19, 2013
135 posts
188 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks OP.

Was looking for rain barrels but bought some shrubs. Really good prices.
Oct 11, 2018
587 posts
843 upvotes
Arkham
rainbarrel.ca/markham seems to have stocks for order, pickup in June I think
Aug 18, 2013
284 posts
328 upvotes
Thanks op! ordered a composter... but i forgot to select a timeslot and order already placed... wonder what will happen..
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
2291 posts
2957 upvotes
Toronto
Jon Lai wrote: Fair, but 5 is a bit much. Most detached homes don't even have that many downspouts.
If you have the space, all you need is one down spouts and you can connect all 5 of them together, there is a connection up at the top for overflow or to connect to the next tank. I bought one like 3 yrs ago, still haven't hooked that up yet because i can't find a good spot that doesn't look ugly. and it needs to be higher then my raised planter so setup is a pain. Those who got 5 and can't use it will likely sell them back out cause its massive. just let them waste their money, rain barrel is a nice concept, but if you have to build a platform, and buy stuff to modify your downspout, you are looking at 100 bucks to setup. I don't think you will save 100 bucks in water from rain.

Last year, since working from home, i gather salad from the garden for lunch, wash and save all the water, and then take that to water the garden, there was almost no need to use my garden hose. Its amazing how much water gets used for washing veggies.
Dec 30, 2006
681 posts
385 upvotes
Toronto
mandm1209 wrote: Thanks OP.

Was looking for rain barrels but bought some shrubs. Really good prices.
Where did you see shrubs?
Aug 19, 2011
89 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto
Tried to order but it directs me to Paypal payment? Anyone uses credit card?
Oct 11, 2018
587 posts
843 upvotes
Arkham
tyrrell wrote: Where did you see shrubs?
You have to select Richmond Hill. I chose my city Markham earlier and didn't have that option, then I tried RH and shrubs showed
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
3315 posts
808 upvotes
perfect... i need to replace my compost!
RFD is bad for your wallet's health 😂
Dec 30, 2006
681 posts
385 upvotes
Toronto
CertainSomeone wrote: You have to select Richmond Hill. I chose my city Markham earlier and didn't have that option, then I tried RH and shrubs showed

Interesting... Will they ask for proof of residence? Or can anyone just go?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2008
1454 posts
716 upvotes
Dymis wrote: Any feedback on the composter? I'm in Markham and this was the one shown (not sure if it changes by region).

http://enviroworld.ca/environmental-pro ... rden-earth
I have two of these and they work well enough. I pulled out about 4-5 blue recycling bins of compost out of one of them, this past weekend.

A bit on the slow side (takes a few months) but strikes a balance between having a tumbler, having to manually turn it over and/or having an unsightly compost pile. Just remember to layer browns with greens... piling up only your leafs or your grass clippings in a homogenous pile won't work very well. Mix it up as you are putting it in, and add water occasionally... use brown cardboard or shredded non-glossy paper in absence of leafs....
There are 10 kinds of people in the world... Those who understand binary and those who don't 💡
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
45920 posts
6412 upvotes
Richmond Hill
sonyminidiscman wrote: If you have the space, all you need is one down spouts and you can connect all 5 of them together, there is a connection up at the top for overflow or to connect to the next tank. I bought one like 3 yrs ago, still haven't hooked that up yet because i can't find a good spot that doesn't look ugly. and it needs to be higher then my raised planter so setup is a pain. Those who got 5 and can't use it will likely sell them back out cause its massive. just let them waste their money, rain barrel is a nice concept, but if you have to build a platform, and buy stuff to modify your downspout, you are looking at 100 bucks to setup. I don't think you will save 100 bucks in water from rain.

Last year, since working from home, i gather salad from the garden for lunch, wash and save all the water, and then take that to water the garden, there was almost no need to use my garden hose. Its amazing how much water gets used for washing veggies.
That's the thing, they're going to make a profit on them because these are subsidized...
Oct 11, 2018
587 posts
843 upvotes
Arkham
tyrrell wrote:
Interesting... Will they ask for proof of residence? Or can anyone just go?
I'm not a resident of RH either so I'm not sure, if you have friends maybe ask them to order then get from 'em, just in case