York Region - Healthy Yards - Rain Barrels, Composters and plants on sale

• Last Updated:
  • May 16th, 2021 6:10 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
2519 posts
3366 upvotes
Toronto
oh, someone is making money from making these plastic barrels lol...

buying this big plastic barrel just to save some water, i don't believe is green at all.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2019
2336 posts
3075 upvotes
sonyminidiscman wrote: oh, someone is making money from making these plastic barrels lol...

buying this big plastic barrel just to save some water, i don't believe is green at all.
Overtime, your water bill will go down. Save money either way. If it lasts 5+ years money saved.

Ton of people water flowers and grass everyday.
Aug 20, 2007
95 posts
277 upvotes
Markham
sonyminidiscman wrote: lol, what logic is this. Not everyone lives in the subdivision can cookie cutters. There are older single detached houses on massive lots in older neighborhoods. They can be had for 600k.
The logic is to spread the wealth so everyone can get one and it's not out of stock at a discount.
Apr 19, 2014
237 posts
204 upvotes
Markham, ON
sonyminidiscman wrote: lol, what logic is this. Not everyone lives in the subdivision can cookie cutters. There are older single detached houses on massive lots in older neighborhoods. They can be had for 600k.
Where can I get a place for $600K in the GTA?
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
2519 posts
3366 upvotes
Toronto
ThiruIO wrote: Where can I get a place for $600K in the GTA?
Keswick...... Sutton....... Jackson Point...
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
2519 posts
3366 upvotes
Toronto
solariseclipse wrote: The logic is to spread the wealth so everyone can get one and it's not out of stock at a discount.
thats too bad man, if I need 5 on my property, I will buy 5. thats how rfd works... you are late to a thread, you will miss it.
Dec 21, 2012
415 posts
743 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
canadianclub wrote: Yeah they make us line up in Waterloo and we can only get one per household but the lineup is massive.
Where do I line up to get one? Is it free or something?
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2019
1458 posts
3283 upvotes
Canada
sonyminidiscman wrote: Keswick...... Sutton....... Jackson Point...
.....Those are in the GTA?
Live a little
Sep 4, 2015
421 posts
365 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
whoace wrote: Where do I line up to get one? Is it free or something?
Just checked in and this year they paused it this year, likely due to covid.

It was at the fairway mall when I went. They go quick so I'd sign up for region of Waterloo Twitter for updates next spring.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
47568 posts
8183 upvotes
Richmond Hill
sonyminidiscman wrote: oh, someone is making money from making these plastic barrels lol...

I mean, the production of the barrel may or may not be green, but the fact that it lasts basically forever, the net result is most definitely green. Keep in mind it also takes water away from stormwater management ponds and sewers, which means less infrastructure cost - and we all know how bad the Toronto sewers are.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
2519 posts
3366 upvotes
Toronto
simplypop wrote: Overtime, your water bill will go down. Save money either way. If it lasts 5+ years money saved.

Ton of people water flowers and grass everyday.

from my water bill....
1 cubic meter = 1000 Liters. cost $5.3, or 0.0053/Liter

Rain Barrel holds 208 Liter. So, for every full barrel, its $1.1 worth of water. if your setup cost of the barrels and downspouts comes to $100, How many years would it take to fill about 90 barrels during May to September? Thats a really long ROI.

Instead, the water i used to wash my veggies is already enough to water my 3 veggie planters, each at 8x2 feet.

A rain barrel is certainly not going to hold enough water to keep your grass green.
Aug 20, 2007
95 posts
277 upvotes
Markham
sonyminidiscman wrote: thats too bad man, if I need 5 on my property, I will buy 5. thats how rfd works... you are late to a thread, you will miss it.
The comment is not directed to specifically yourself, but rather those who do not need 5 and are given the opportunity to flip. They should have opted for better controls and/or increased supply.

Does a row townhouse need 5? Probably not.
Jul 29, 2013
297 posts
174 upvotes
Toronto
sonyminidiscman wrote: Keswick...... Sutton....... Jackson Point...
This is NOT considered part of the GTA. Btw you can't even get a detached home in Keswick for $600K (source: I have a relative that made a recent purchase).
Jul 29, 2013
297 posts
174 upvotes
Toronto
sonyminidiscman wrote: thats too bad man, if I need 5 on my property, I will buy 5. thats how rfd works... you are late to a thread, you will miss it.
Richmond Hill is doing a nice thing by helping to subsidize the price for these rain barrels but some people like you automatically feel entitled to buy them all. You even mentioned it took you three years to install one so you and residents with your mindset are the reason I'd like if they restricted purchases to 1-2 barrels.
Sep 16, 2020
27 posts
19 upvotes
I hope Peel can start to sell rain barrels at the CRCs but it’s still suspended (like compost, composters).
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
2519 posts
3366 upvotes
Toronto
Clocksmith25 wrote: This is NOT considered part of the GTA. Btw you can't even get a detached home in Keswick for $600K (source: I have a relative that made a recent purchase).
Lol... whats Keswick part of then? I am in Keswick, and I am part of York Region... Isn't York Region part of the GTA?

I live in Keswick, and recently bought a rental in Keswick so I know what you can buy with 600k

Here, single detached, big lot enough for 5 rain barrels. Which is the point of the post. 500K
https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2302 ... wick-south

Another 590K
https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2295 ... wick-south
Jul 29, 2013
297 posts
174 upvotes
Toronto
sonyminidiscman wrote: Lol... whats Keswick part of then? I am in Keswick, and I am part of York Region... Isn't York Region part of the GTA?

I live in Keswick, and recently bought a rental in Keswick so I know what you can buy with 600k

Here, single detached, big lot enough for 5 rain barrels. Which is the point of the post. 500K
https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2302 ... wick-south

Another 590K
https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2295 ... wick-south
I have to take a shower now after seeing those pictures. Thanks.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
2519 posts
3366 upvotes
Toronto
Clocksmith25 wrote: Richmond Hill is doing a nice thing by helping to subsidize the price for these rain barrels but some people like you automatically feel entitled to buy them all. You even mentioned it took you three years to install one so you and residents with your mindset are the reason I'd like if they restricted purchases to 1-2 barrels.
Lol, talking about feeling entitled. All you complaining about oos, and others can't buy 5, are the ones feeling entitled that they should be able to buy one.