None
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble

Are you Afraid of the Dentist?

[IMG]http://creativedentalcare.com/wp-conten ... entist.jpg[/IMG]

I think it's up there along with public speaking. So who here is afraid of the dentist and avoid them like the plague unless the pain is unbearable?

I recently had some work done and now I'm getting over a cold/flu. Seems the last few times I've visited a dentist, I would always get 'sick' a day or two later.

Can't be a coincidence. My immediate theory is that their instruments are not sterile and I may have got remnants of someone else germs and got sick. I went Googling for answers. One possible scenario is that our mouths are full of germs but while in our mouths they don't do any harm but when it gets into our bloodstream, it's a different story.

Anyway, to say that I'm afraid of the dentist is an understatement. My back was stiff as a board most of the time I spent in the chair getting my work done. It's like a scene out of a movie where someone is strapped down and given juice to fry them. Arched back and white knuckled. LOL,

Damn this runny nose and constant sneezing though.
110 replies
Oct 26, 2015
595 posts
124 upvotes
Toronto,ON
dentist scare living hell out of me, more than zombies ever would
I try to buy smart but end up Penny wise Pound Foolish :(
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
It also didn't help that I recently read a news clip about a guy in Saskatchewan that went to the dentist for a root canal and ended up in a coma fighting for his life. Apparently he got an infection and the doctor didn't' prescribe him the antibiotics he needed.

Pretty scary stuff to have on your mind when you're in the chair yourself. Every time something goes wrong or unexpected, I feel like there is something wrong with me and my genetic makeup. One time when I had a root canal done, my face was so swollen; it was so embarrassing. IT was the size of a grape fruit on one side of my face and I couldn't go outside. Had to take about a week before the swelling subsided.

The last time I went to the dentist was in 2012 and when I went last week, the guy chastised. Can you imagine the dentist you're paying to have work done chastise you because you have a common affliction? Very unprofessional to say the least.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
nonvegan wrote: dentist scare living hell out of me, more than zombies ever would
If you're eating a lot of meat, you should be flossing and brushing diligently, lol.

And all the sugars, too.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
13165 posts
3738 upvotes
Mississauga
As a kid, I was terrified and would cry my lungs out. As an adult, it's all a piece of cake. Cleanings, fillings, wisdom tooth extraction, and root canals are all no problem.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2015
3607 posts
5352 upvotes
Toronto, ON
guess im the only one who enjoys the visit. My dentist is gorgeous! :)
Banned
Mar 11, 2016
48 posts
You often mention dental-related stuff on your postings.

Dentistry is like a low-key sadistic profession, come to think of it. Dental care isn't a necessity for my parents. Basically, if nothing's aching then no reason to go to the dentist. I got braces at 14ish and if not for that I wouldn'tknow the importance of having a healthy set of teeth. That's also the only time I've got all my cavities taken care of. A lot of Filipinos have missing teeth at a young age due to poor oral care. For this reason, I look forward to my trips to the dentist, as much as they're inconvenient.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
entersandman wrote: You often mention dental-related stuff on your postings.

Dentistry is like a low-key sadistic profession, come to think of it. Dental care isn't a necessity for my parents. Basically, if nothing's aching then no reason to go to the dentist. I got braces at 14ish and if not for that I wouldn'tknow the importance of having a healthy set of teeth. That's also the only time I've got all my cavities taken care of. A lot of Filipinos have missing teeth at a young age due to poor oral care. For this reason, I look forward to my trips to the dentist, as much as they're inconvenient.
I think you may have me confused with someone else but growing up dental hygiene wasn't a very important topic in my family since we came from very humble backgrounds. That said, my dad has always preached about brushing since he lost his teeth due to health problems and has had dentures of some kind since his early 40s.

If and when I have kids, I'll likely carry on preaching that sentiment. Having good dental health is so important not only to your overall health but your wallet as well, lol. It baffles me why they're not regulated. Every new dentist I visit or call to inquire about something, one of their first question is... do you have insurance?

They are quite shameless about their approach as well. Why should a cleaning cost me $100 if I'm paying for it myself but $150 if my insurance company is paying?
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2004
15215 posts
4404 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
One of the worst is scaling. Most everything else, you're frozen.

As to fear, some dude I knew once said, "I'm not afraid of the dentist; I'm just afraid of what he might find." (I don't think he had insurance.)
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
rabbit wrote: One of the worst is scaling. Most everything else, you're frozen.

As to fear, some dude I knew once said, "I'm not afraid of the dentist; I'm just afraid of what he might find." (I don't think he had insurance.)
Once knew? Did he pass? lol
Deal Guru
Jan 8, 2006
11294 posts
6292 upvotes
Ontario
Supercooled wrote: If you're eating a lot of meat, you should be flossing and brushing diligently, lol.

And all the sugars, too.
You should be regularly (at least 2/day, after breakfast/before bed) flossing(or other alternatives) and brushing (electric brush, such as Sonicare or Oral B, is a good bonus for most) no matter what you eat. Mouth rinse such as Listerine Zero is also a good addition in the end. Regular dental cleanings with your dental hygienist(generally, every 3-6 month). These are just some of the ways you minimize your visits with dentist.

If the dentist makes you second guess their work maybe consider a second opinion.
Deal Guru
Jan 8, 2006
11294 posts
6292 upvotes
Ontario
rabbit wrote: One of the worst is scaling. Most everything else, you're frozen.

Scaling (dental cleaning) is generally performed by the dental hygienist, not dentist. You can be frozen for this one too, though probably an overkill for most people. Dental hygienists, just like dentists, vary. If all your scaling visits are that uncomfortable maybe try another hygienist. Better oral hygiene at home may also help.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
2173 posts
626 upvotes
Toronto
I'm actually surprised I clicked on this thread and read some of it. I don't normally even like reading about dentists, but I am going in 2 weeks and am dreading it, even considering getting put to sleep.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Andro wrote: Scaling (dental cleaning) is generally performed by the dental hygienist, not dentist. You can be frozen for this one too, though probably an overkill for most people. Dental hygienists, just like dentists, vary. If all your scaling visits are that uncomfortable maybe try another hygienist. Better oral hygiene at home may also help.
So scaling is cleaning? I think the last time I had a cleaning done was over 10 years ago or longer. I remember they would just use some kind of burring tool and basically sand off the layer off the tooth. Don't recall ever being given any gas for that. What does frozen mean? Mouth frozen? Man, I don't even want to know how painful those shots must be. This last visit scared the crap out of me. It felt like the needle went too far into my skull and the hot sensation shot up the side of my face which I have never felt before in my lifetime of dental visits. Face/mouth was numb and my vision on one side was blurred for an hour.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble

Good lord. I shouldn't have Googled.

I need to do this though. I have periodontal disease or gingivitis. Every time I use my oral pick I have bleeding so it's a clear sign my gums are not in good health.

When they give you LA, are they little shots around the mouth? I can imagine after scaling, it's going to be hurting for a while. The site said a good numbing paste is recommend to manage the discomfort. I guess it's like that stuff they sell in drug stores, nova cane.
Deal Guru
Jan 8, 2006
11294 posts
6292 upvotes
Ontario
Supercooled wrote: So scaling is cleaning? I think the last time I had a cleaning done was over 10 years ago or longer. I remember they would just use some kind of burring tool and basically sand off the layer off the tooth. Don't recall ever being given any gas for that. What does frozen mean? Mouth frozen? Man, I don't even want to know how painful those shots must be. This last visit scared the crap out of me. It felt like the needle went too far into my skull and the hot sensation shot up the side of my face which I have never felt before in my lifetime of dental visits. Face/mouth was numb and my vision on one side was blurred for an hour.
Yes, scaling is dental cleaning. Most cleanings require no anaesthesia. They may use either topical anaesthesia, which is painless rub in of topical anaesthetic. This generally numbs sensitive gums. If your teeth are too sensitive you may choose to get a needle from the dentist first.

Cleaning is generally done with hand tools (scalers) and electrical tools. There should not be hot sensations during cleaning. Either way I'd say you are way overdue for a cleaning. I'd recommend getting one asap.
Banned
Jan 23, 2016
1430 posts
408 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
My dad would fall asleep, full on snoring in the dentists chair. I also have no fear of the dentist and as of late have also started falling asleep. It helps to remember these are professionals who arent out to hurt you. Though it runs in my family to not be scared of the dentist. I assume it has to do with how sensitive peoples teeth and mouths are. I had braces and describe the entire experiance as "a minor incoveniance." Ive only ever had one cavity and getting that filled whats a bit of pain but i was fine within 2 hours of getting it done
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2014
1499 posts
4659 upvotes
Toronto
I'm afraid of the cost more than the work done.
May 28, 2012
12484 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
cardle wrote: I'm actually surprised I clicked on this thread and read some of it. I don't normally even like reading about dentists, but I am going in 2 weeks and am dreading it, even considering getting put to sleep.
If you don't regularly floss, start doing this now so your gums get toughened up for appointment. Good luck...it's not that bad if you have a good dentist and hygienist.