[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2011
1649 posts
359 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA

are you back to gym?

I miss the gym, but probably not going back anytime soon - LA fitness,
I will try to ask them stop billing and hold the membership as is, but not sure it will work or no.

I pass by there morning, already bunch of people there, so like park and beach people are eagerly to kill time.

The problem is you never know who get what in change room and on the equipment.
I can still go with mask and glove and not use change room, still contact with equipment is inevitable, I don't know what else can do to total eliminate the chance.
<No political content in signatures>
84 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
8998 posts
10421 upvotes
Vancouver
I got laid off but am on the recall list for when my employer opens again. I have another job but I can continue to use my old employer's small, employees-only fitness centre. Most of the time I have the whole place to myself. A handful of times there was one other person. It's small and is missing a lot of equipment that my normal (still closed) gym has, but hey, it's free and much better than nothing. So I consider myself extremely lucky.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
27573 posts
12642 upvotes
Toronto
I have gone back to my gym (LA fitness @ Yonge & Shepard) a few days ago and about 25 people were in there (which would be more or less about the same # of people before COVID). Staff is asking people that mask must be on if you are not working out or just wandering around in the gym, while at the equipment or doing your exercise at any one station, wearing mask is not mandatory but recommended. Everyone is asked to take a bottle of the cleaning liquid to wipe off after each use of the equipment and weights. The lockers can be used but the availability is pretty limited, I would say 25% are allowed for use. Washroom is usable. Shower is usable.

Overall, people at my location are doing what they have been told and well behaved. A 1 hour work out limit is imposed but staff said only if there are people waiting in line, otherwise, you won't be asked to leave when the time is up. I was only at my gym for just over 30 minutes and nobody was waiting in line when I left.
Aug 2, 2007
81 posts
8 upvotes
FYI. I called LA to see if I could put my membership on hold but they would still charge me $10/month to have the membership on hold.
So I went in to LA to cancel my membership altogether.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
5724 posts
1853 upvotes
Goodlife in the GTA, much less busy than usual. 1st day back I found it very tiresome to workout but a few sessions later, gotten used to the practice of putting my mask back on. During pandemic I did do pushups, chinup, pullup, & cardio regularly, but man, first 2 gym sessions after 4.5 month shutdown, my body was absolutely destroyed, even though I used much lighter weights than usual to try to get back in the groove. I was only using maybe 60% of my normal weights & everything still felt so heavy to me. I'm sure it will get better soon but very humbling lol

GL 1 hr is strictly enforced, everyone has to book time slots eg 1:30-2:30, then at 2:30 everyone has to leave, GL spend the next 30 mins to clean. Then from 3-4 there is another time slot/group. 1 hr really isn't enough, as you are supposed to be more thorough with the wipedown than pre-covid, & walking around in the mask makes you sweat a lot more, so you end up taking longer break in between sets. Good thing is, there is a lot less small chit chat. I go to the gym regularly for yrs, so often people that know me wanna make small talk. I usually don't like that aspect, as I prefer to maintain a good pace/intensity/small break intervals. Due to the 1 hr limit, people aren't bothering me with small chit chat anymore.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
27573 posts
12642 upvotes
Toronto
I could not do even half the free weights on my 1st day back. Yet I only spent about 30 mins or so at the gym and the next couple of days I was sore. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2011
1649 posts
359 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Is there a thing la can restore your membership within six month of cancellation? Maybe I can take advantage for this to wait and see and avoid the bs suspension charge.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
3889 posts
2038 upvotes
Toronto
Decided to defer my YMCA fitness centre membership.
Would like to go, but want to see how things settle first.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2011
1649 posts
359 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Cancelled mine today, I checked at different time slot always a line up needed, lunch time, after work, etc, always line up, and winter will be worse. so have to save money for home equipment now.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2011
1649 posts
359 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
booblehead wrote: I could not do even half the free weights on my 1st day back. Yet I only spent about 30 mins or so at the gym and the next couple of days I was sore. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
The prom of home exercise is you never catch up with the result from gym.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
27573 posts
12642 upvotes
Toronto
^ agree. Running outside vs running inside on a 'bouncy' treadmill produced different kinds of workout as well. slower pace running outside and more harder impact on my knees. I used to run indoor at the gym 4 straight days for around 10km each time without issues, now I have to run on alternate days for my body to come back.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
3782 posts
1855 upvotes
I'm back, I like the setup (so I'll eat my previous words). I mostly do barbell stuff.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
17107 posts
2153 upvotes
Out west
Been for 6 weeks. Had a credit to use up from a winter cross fit/smart fit class that got postponed obviosly.

As of Friday, they said my credit is used up and I said thank god. I can only do morning classes due to time, and getting up at 530 am and rushing to class, to rush home, to shower and rush to work, was getting mentally exhausting. Wasted 20 minutes every morning and rushing to work 5 days a week. No strecthing after class due to time, Ive been sore for weeks now, and my speed and flexibility are shot. Lifes to short for that sort of shit.

I used to have a home gym, had to sell due to room after a move. But now am starting a smaller one up again with Bowflex dumbells and a small bench. Im beyond the stage now in years of lifting heavy and needing a cage to do squats and leg presses. Cardio is something I can do anywhere on my own now.

Was fun while it lasted, but the making an appointment to use the gym, makes it just another thing to schedule. No thanks

As well, mental health is just as important as physical health. I was happier during the lock down doing my own thing in the morning than "rushing" to a class. I can actually sit down and enjoy breakfast now and have a small cup of coffee before work, instead of eating at work
Last edited by WikkiWikki on Aug 12th, 2020 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
17107 posts
2153 upvotes
Out west
napoleonbot wrote: The prom of home exercise is you never catch up with the result from gym.
Depends on what your goals are. And as well, a lot of people have as much equipment at home as the gym that fit their needs.

So you are telling me a 45 minute bike ride outside isnt as good as a 45 minute bike ride inside a gym?
What you said sounds like a tag line a person would use to sell a gym membership