• Last Updated:
  • Oct 20th, 2020 4:12 am
Tags:
Oct 27, 2013
262 posts
68 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
I started back yesterday. At 5:30 am only 7-8 ppl and it wasn’t getting busier. No one wore masks in the workout area only upon entering. Lots Hand sanitizer. Not sure how long gyms will last.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
1670 posts
507 upvotes
Edmonton
I'm back to working out regularly at a YMCA in Edmonton. I try to go nearly every day, but at least every other day. They initially announced an online booking system or queue outside the gym system. However they quickly found out that there is hardly any demand for the gym to crowd up. The letter I got in our mailbox says that less than 700 people use this particular YMCA facility every day (this is the first location in Edmonton to reopen) and they're gonna have trouble reopening other locations if they lose money like that. I did absolutely notice that it is not busy at all. I look around the whole fitness centre floor and count less than 10 or 20 people every time I go there.

They have Home Depot branded buckets to carry around a cleaning spray and microfibre cloths. They are separated by whether they are clean or used. One thing that concerns me is no one likes to wear a mask while working out. It is not a requirement to wear a mask either while working out, only in communal areas like hallways. (The City of Edmonton has implemented a mandatory mask bylaw inside indoor spaces since August 1, for your reference) Physical distancing would work since you'd become out of breath, but I just keep my mask on inside to be safe. My psychiatrist was concerned hearing about it, since working out involves heavy breathing of potential droplets. I think it makes sense that masks should not be mandatory while working out, since it might cause breathing problems. I know that even the WHO doesn't require masks during work out.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2009
9325 posts
6935 upvotes
in brampton some of the goodlifes fill FAST -- and by FAST i mean the slots are opened at midnight and filled by like 12:30am - and this is for slots IN 7 DAYS (this is happening at McLaughlin and Bovaird location in Brampton). Brampton fills fast in general. Same with most of Mississauga.

In Milton you can get slots the day before but the prime slots (6am, 4:30pm, 6pm, 7:30pm) are gone a day or two before.
Sep 14, 2012
655 posts
372 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Since Quebec has re-opened fitness centers back in June 25, 2020, I've gone to my gym occasionally. It was shut down sometime in late March 2020 from what I remember.

Quebec will shut down the fitness centers again on October 8, 2020 for the rest of October (at a minimum) so I will start to try to exercise at home and outside during the closure.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
5720 posts
1848 upvotes
Goodlife new policy requires wearing mask at all times except in the motion of exercising. For example, lets say you finished a set on a bench, some people sit on the bench & don't move until their next set, they're not walking around or anything, just resting before their next set. During this time, they would usually have their mask off. Now, right after your set is complete, you have to immediately put the mask back on, even if you're still seated on the bench & not going anywhere. Saw a lot of people who seemed bothered by this today, I expect some more membership cancellations soon.
Aug 22, 2011
110 posts
45 upvotes
NORTH YORK
HP_John wrote: Goodlife new policy requires wearing mask at all times except in the motion of exercising. For example, lets say you finished a set on a bench, some people sit on the bench & don't move until their next set, they're not walking around or anything, just resting before their next set. During this time, they would usually have their mask off. Now, right after your set is complete, you have to immediately put the mask back on, even if you're still seated on the bench & not going anywhere. Saw a lot of people who seemed bothered by this today, I expect some more membership cancellations soon.

I have not seen this new requirement ...can you post a link
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
5720 posts
1848 upvotes
NTWKid wrote: I have not seen this new requirement ...can you post a link
It is posted throughout the gym, I've been to 2 locations since this new requirement & they post it in several locations throughout the gym, staff also informed us of the new policy as we checked in. It explicitly states that during rest periods, you need to put your mask on. They call it Orange level or something. I did not get an email about this new requirement, only found out in person. Was at a North York location yesterday, & Toronto location today
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
4387 posts
941 upvotes
HP_John wrote: Goodlife new policy requires wearing mask at all times except in the motion of exercising. Saw a lot of people who seemed bothered by this today, I expect some more membership cancellations soon.
I hope they cancel. 80% of people at my location stopped wearing their masks. I see others huddling with their friends none with masks on. Even the wipe down of equipment is more for show than anyone actually trying to clean them after use. I've limited myself to 3-4 machines or dumb bells only.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
4744 posts
1068 upvotes
Abbottabad
Gyms are done during a pandemic. Don't see them ever being a thing again.
May 31, 2008
976 posts
483 upvotes
Toronto
NTWKid wrote: I have not seen this new requirement ...can you post a link
Toronto Public Health (and probably the GTA..but who knows) is trying to make masks mandatory throughout the workout (you would not be able to take it off at all).
The GoodLife website is already preparing for the changes (see the blue mask, red mask rating).
Standard
then scroll down to "club re-opening" and then review the red/blue masks description (currently only required when not working out).
This would be an alternative to closing down all together.
Oct 27, 2012
845 posts
816 upvotes
Toronto
My gym (Equinox) has had a mandatory mask at all times policy since they reopened in August, and that included strenuous spin and run classes too. I think they ended up revising to permit certain group fitness classes without a mask, but that was enough for me to cancel.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13369 posts
8340 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
All the gains...down the drain again!!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
3758 posts
1835 upvotes
Thankfully I've been going less the last couple of weeks, and still have decent supply at home, so mentally I'm prepared lol