Health & Wellness

Are you eligible for a COVID vaccine if you work in one of the hot spots in Ontario?

  • Last Updated:
  • May 6th, 2021 6:36 pm
[OP]
Member
Aug 24, 2014
263 posts
33 upvotes
North York

Are you eligible for a COVID vaccine if you work in one of the hot spots in Ontario?

I don't live in COVID hot spot zones, but I work there 4 times a week.

My boss says I'm eligible to get vaccinated, given that I provide LOE.

Is this true? The booking website is not clear about this
16 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
19302 posts
7451 upvotes
Toronto
* It clearly states The Ontario government announced recently that people over the age of 18 living in neighborhoods disproportionately affected by COVID-19 would be soon eligible for a vaccine. It says working for large employers, you need to call the number and see if you qualify.
Last edited by carmaster on May 2nd, 2021 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sr. Member
Nov 11, 2007
580 posts
88 upvotes
It’s live or work when it comes to regional vaccine
When it’s hot spot it’s “live” only
Newbie
Nov 18, 2011
87 posts
33 upvotes
Toronto
I am not sure if you can book but there are pop ups for walk- in. You can follow the Instagram for the information -torontovaccines. You will need to show your paystub or T4 for the address.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 2, 2003
16463 posts
2870 upvotes
GTA
carmaster wrote: * It clearly states The Ontario government announced recently that people over the age of 18 living in neighborhoods disproportionately affected by COVID-19 would be soon eligible for a vaccine. It says working for large employers, you need to call the number and see if you qualify.
the ON govt also announced mobile vaccination trucks for hot spots i think it's been 3 weeks, and still nothing. so you/we should prolly separate what they announced vs what's being implemented in reality


*
Last edited by MrDisco on May 2nd, 2021 7:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Rude
Sr. Member
Oct 9, 2006
617 posts
105 upvotes
GTA
gushingtears wrote: I don't live in COVID hot spot zones, but I work there 4 times a week.

My boss says I'm eligible to get vaccinated, given that I provide LOE.

Is this true? The booking website is not clear about this
I am not sure why this thread is getting downvoted.

It doesn’t seem the Ontario booking website allows bookings based on workplace.

But as others have said, many pop up clinics do allow it and encourage it. It makes sense because it helps to prevent spread from workplace to home and vice versa. I just got my son vaccinated because he will be working in a public facing job in a high risk area.

Follow @VaxHuntersCan on Twitter.

I’m not sure where you are located but here some pop clinics in GTA. If you meet the eligibility criteria, go for it.

Toronto:





Windsor:


York:
Sr. Member
Oct 9, 2006
617 posts
105 upvotes
GTA
Btw, for these pop up clinics, go an hour or two after opens to beet the rush. There is no need to line up hours in advance.



Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 16, 2008
2522 posts
903 upvotes
Calgary
Nevyn wrote: I am not sure why this thread is getting downvoted.
I think it got downvoted because it was originally posted in Hot Deals.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 23, 2008
13248 posts
10130 upvotes
GTA, ON
ManCaveGamer wrote: how can u prove this? I think my office is in a hotspot, i go there sometimes
-T4
-Pay stub

Also, but may not be as easily accepted:
-Letter of employment from the boss, on company letterhead.
Tis banana is IRIE

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 19, 2013
2128 posts
1520 upvotes
Ottawa
ManCaveGamer wrote: how can u prove this? I think my office is in a hotspot, i go there sometimes
chimaican wrote: -T4
-Pay stub

Also, but may not be as easily accepted:
-Letter of employment from the boss, on company letterhead.
The "working in hot spot" is mentioned only in 1 place though and elsewhere, they either say "people in hot spots" (fo they mean living, working or both?) or "living in hot spots". Nonetheless, all essential workers should be eligible on Monday anyway as part of Phase 2 - Group 2.

As for the proof, do they actually ask for a proof of address? I imagine once you receive an appointment, they'll just give you the shot and would trust people are telling the truth. Otherwise, I guess T4 or paystub would work.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 23, 2008
13248 posts
10130 upvotes
GTA, ON
NoCountry4RFDer wrote: The "working in hot spot" is mentioned only in 1 place though and elsewhere, they either say "people in hot spots" (fo they mean living, working or both?) or "living in hot spots". Nonetheless, all essential workers should be eligible on Monday anyway as part of Phase 2 - Group 2.

As for the proof, do they actually ask for a proof of address? I imagine once you receive an appointment, they'll just give you the shot and would trust people are telling the truth. Otherwise, I guess T4 or paystub would work.
I'm a HCW, so I got mine a while back. For those who didn't live in the eligible area but did work, the staff at the clinic specifically told them that they would accept one of the above three (T4, pay stub, or letter). We did have to show ID, obviously our health care, which of course already has your photo and address. Either you live in the area (ID matches postal code) or you work in the area (ID then matches T4, pay stub).
Tis banana is IRIE

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
3776 posts
1479 upvotes
Thornhill
chimaican wrote: I'm a HCW, so I got mine a while back. For those who didn't live in the eligible area but did work, the staff at the clinic specifically told them that they would accept one of the above three (T4, pay stub, or letter). We did have to show ID, obviously our health care, which of course already has your photo and address. Either you live in the area (ID matches postal code) or you work in the area (ID then matches T4, pay stub).
You have to check with your specific clinic you want to book.
For Toronto city run clinics for 18+ in hot spots, currently it is "live" in hot spot zone only, except education workers who would be eligible for "working" in hot spot zone.
For York Region city run clinics for 18+ in hot spots zone, it is "live" or "work" in those postal codes.

For hospital run clinics, check the web site for their "eligibility of the day".
For Scarborough SHN clinics for example, they went from "live in" Scarborough only to "live", or "work", or "having your family doctor or specialist in Scarborough"...
and then went back to "live in" only.

Now, their current criteria is "live in" hot spots only for pop-up clinics.
And they allow "live" or "work" in Scarborough for their mass vaccination clinics.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2008
1510 posts
550 upvotes
GTA
Yes, I got a vaccine because I work in a hotspot. Went to the one at 1700 Keele St once they opened for all Toronto hotspots. The lady asked my postal code and I gave it. That was it. Didn't check anything but I guess they can ask for proof. There was a big lineup so maybe that's why she didn't officially check. Took about an hour from entering line until leaving.

Top