Shopping Discussion

Are you going to reduce Christmas Shopping Budget this year?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2008 11:27 pm
[OP]
Banned
Jun 4, 2008
8 posts
Vancouver

Are you going to reduce Christmas Shopping Budget this year?

Christmas will soon be upon us again and even though it
15 replies
Nov 12, 2008
195 posts
Every year I think that I'll cut back a little, but usually wind up spending even more than I planned to. I don't expect this year to be any different. Getting & giving presents is so much fun....! :razz:
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2008
1091 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
Definitely. I'm back in school full time this year and unemployed, so the budget is smaller with a bit of leeway I suppose.
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
1287 posts
164 upvotes
Beamsville
I plan to cut back and am trying to convince the wife it's needed. I find getting her to watch the doom and gloom report (Nightly News ;) ) has started to help get through to her.
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2005
10096 posts
1954 upvotes
Toronto
I am predicting really good discounts this xmas, so I may go ahead and finally buy that Panasonic Plasma I've been eyeing.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2006
1925 posts
216 upvotes
Markham
I think I'll increase my budget...people need a little extra cheering up this year.
Oct 18, 2006
420 posts
206 upvotes
Toronto
I'm trying to just purchase for the "important" people (e.g. close family members and best friends). Everyone else (acquaintances) will get a Christmas card or maybe some baked brownies :)

I find using reward points helps too... I get gift cards by redeeming AIR MILES, if I shop online I use ********************.com or airmilesshops.ca, and othe "freebies" which help reduce costs just a tad.
Sep 6, 2008
115 posts
1 upvote
I will reduce my Christmas shopping budget!
Feb 1, 2008
861 posts
96 upvotes
I always only buy gifts for those close to me or the special/important people in my life. So on average, i never really spend that much. However, this year the actual amount i spend on each gift might be less.

I am hoping that there will be some good discounts given the state of things right now. I figure that with the same budget i use every year, maybe with the discounts i could get some really nice gifts.

I also believe that, if there were some good discounts, i might be impulsive and buy more stuff for myself. So is that part of the christmas budget too? :lol:
Deal Fanatic
May 31, 2007
5018 posts
2173 upvotes
At work it's been announced that there will be some lay offs, so I have been putting cash under the mattress and cutting down on expenses. As for Christmas shoping, I don't know where that will go yet.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23358 posts
4813 upvotes
Niagara Falls
I will be cutting down for sure. I've already lost my job, but I have some contract work for now so I'm not sure how much I can part with, but I gaurentee it wont be on any card.
Nov 3, 2008
198 posts
I will definitely cut down my Christmas shopping budget this year.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2007
1006 posts
40 upvotes
ndrew029 wrote: i think i'll increase my budget...people need a little extra cheering up this year.
+1
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2007
1006 posts
40 upvotes
lillilland wrote: I'm trying to just purchase for the "important" people (e.g. close family members and best friends). Everyone else (acquaintances) will get a Christmas card or maybe some baked brownies :)

I find using reward points helps too... I get gift cards by redeeming AIR MILES, if I shop online I use ********************.com or airmilesshops.ca, and othe "freebies" which help reduce costs just a tad.
Home baked brownies should cheer most people up!
Great idea :)
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
197 upvotes
I don't have a budget because I don't buy much and don't receive much.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.