Automotive

Are you keeping your BLUE Ontario License plate?

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 27th, 2021 8:51 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1926 posts
331 upvotes

Are you keeping your BLUE Ontario License plate?

Its been a year ish now since the blue ontario license plate were slagged. Partly to do backlash, but also with COVID being the main focus soon afterwards.

Just a random thought, for those of you who were given doug fords infamous BLUE license plate, do you plan on keeping it, or getting the free exchange for the white/blue lettered one?
Images
  • image.jpeg
21 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 8, 2014
25947 posts
10680 upvotes
Socially Distanced
If i had one i would.

It could be worth money to collectors someday.
And it makes Ford look like the buffoon he is.

And the fact it can't be read by law enforcement has nothing to do with it Winking Face
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 23, 2008
16893 posts
14489 upvotes
GTA, ON
Partly to do with backlash? The plates didn't get reverted because of backlash but because they're a massive failure - they reflect too much in low light that the plate can't be read.

So yes, I'd consider replacing it. You might get away with using it in Ontario but I imagine you could open yourself to trouble in other police jurisdictions outside the province. I doubt the police in New York state or Quebec would care about Ford's mistakes, they'll just see vehicle with unreadable plates.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
19433 posts
22549 upvotes
GTA
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote: Its been a year ish now since the blue ontario license plate were slagged. Partly to do backlash, but also with COVID being the main focus soon afterwards.
Just a random thought, for those of you who were given doug fords infamous BLUE license plate, do you plan on keeping it, or getting the free exchange for the white/blue lettered one?
Yea, it had nothing to do with covid. It was 100% because they were flawed. Hard to ready by cops/traffic/407 cameras.
Even though they're ugly, I wish I had them for those reasons.
chimaican wrote: Partly to do with backlash? The plates didn't get reverted because of backlash but because they're a massive failure - they reflect too much in low light that the plate can't be read.
+1
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 23, 2008
16893 posts
14489 upvotes
GTA, ON
engineered wrote: Yea, it had nothing to do with covid. It was 100% because they were flawed. Hard to ready by cops/traffic/407 cameras.
Even though they're ugly, I wish I had them for those reasons.
Keep only for this reason. Smiling Face With Horns
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
9500 posts
7886 upvotes
Kitchener
They were supposed to be "RECALLED", but everyone knows that's not actually going to happen.

I still remember when Lisa Thompson (speaking for DoFo) defended the plates:

Ontario's minister of government and consumer services, Lisa Thompson, attempted to defend the blue licence plates on Tuesday

"I am pleased to share with you that the plates that have been introduced to this province, they're working," she said at the time. "They've been tested under a whole host of visibility conditions and we have absolute confidence in our plates."

Capture.PNG
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 23, 2008
16893 posts
14489 upvotes
GTA, ON
Rob_EV wrote: They were supposed to be "RECALLED", but everyone knows that's not actually going to happen.

I still remember when Lisa Thompson (speaking for DoFo) defended the plates:

Ontario's minister of government and consumer services, Lisa Thompson, attempted to defend the blue licence plates on Tuesday

"I am pleased to share with you that the plates that have been introduced to this province, they're working," she said at the time. "They've been tested under a whole host of visibility conditions and we have absolute confidence in our plates."
Old topic but it's always fun to rehash it:

They've been tested under a whole host of visibility conditions and we have absolute confidence in our plates, AKA Doug liked them because they were Conservative/Ontario blue and the Libs can't stand them.

Real world testing? Nah... Winking Face
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 8, 2014
25947 posts
10680 upvotes
Socially Distanced
chimaican wrote: Real world testing? Nah... Winking Face
Who needs real world testing when you have easy answers and gaslighting?
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7086 posts
3930 upvotes
Ottawa
My wife loves her blue plate (she went out of her way to get one right before they were pulled) so I'm pretty sure she'll want to keep it for as long as she can!
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 7, 2004
7813 posts
4606 upvotes
West GTEH!
If I had the Blue Plates, I'd keep them as a Collectible.
And pay & get another set of Real Traditional Ontario Plates. Nothing wrong with these, IMO.
😎
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 9, 2012
5777 posts
4926 upvotes
Oakville, ON
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote: Its been a year ish now since the blue ontario license plate were slagged. Partly to do backlash, but also with COVID being the main focus soon afterwards.

Just a random thought, for those of you who were given doug fords infamous BLUE license plate, do you plan on keeping it, or getting the free exchange for the white/blue lettered one?
I’d keep it as a collectible. At some point though they’ll turn their attention back to the recall and at some point after that they will issue tickets for driving with them. So I’d be taking mine off at I that point and would get a new one.

Funny too that I was just thinking about this after seeing one for the umpteenth time lately and was wondering if Bubba Ford’s government was ever going to get around to actually executing on the recall plan that they announced. Sadly, they’ve followed up their first bungle in issuing the defective plates with another bungle by failing to follow through on replacing them!

And I have no doubt that instead of dealing with the issue Bubba Ford is just going to prentend it never happened and ignore the issue, especially considering we’re in an election cycle now federally and the provincial cycle to follow next year. I think he doesn’t want to see his failure plastered in the news again and embarrassing the conservative cause….
Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1731 upvotes
Clarington, ON
CanadianLurker wrote: I’d keep it as a collectible. At some point though they’ll turn their attention back to the recall and at some point after that they will issue tickets for driving with them. So I’d be taking mine off at I that point and would get a new one.

Funny too that I was just thinking about this after seeing one for the umpteenth time lately and was wondering if Bubba Ford’s government was ever going to get around to actually executing on the recall plan that they announced. Sadly, they’ve followed up their first bungle in issuing the defective plates with another bungle by failing to follow through on replacing them!

And I have no doubt that instead of dealing with the issue Bubba Ford is just going to prentend it never happened and ignore the issue, especially considering we’re in an election cycle now federally and the provincial cycle to follow next year. I think he doesn’t want to see his failure plastered in the news again and embarrassing the conservative cause….
So you like Ford I see....
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 7, 2004
7813 posts
4606 upvotes
West GTEH!
CanadianLurker wrote: I’d keep it as a collectible. At some point though they’ll turn their attention back to the recall and at some point after that they will issue tickets for driving with them. So I’d be taking mine off at I that point and would get a new one.

Funny too that I was just thinking about this after seeing one for the umpteenth time lately and was wondering if Bubba Ford’s government was ever going to get around to actually executing on the recall plan that they announced. Sadly, they’ve followed up their first bungle in issuing the defective plates with another bungle by failing to follow through on replacing them!

And I have no doubt that instead of dealing with the issue Bubba Ford is just going to prentend it never happened and ignore the issue, especially considering we’re in an election cycle now federally and the provincial cycle to follow next year. I think he doesn’t want to see his failure plastered in the news again and embarrassing the conservative cause….
Exactly.
😎
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 9, 2012
5777 posts
4926 upvotes
Oakville, ON
KevinM56081 wrote: So you like Ford I see....
Well, I don’t suffer fools gladly, especially politicians (of any political strip)….
Moderator
User avatar
May 27, 2007
16027 posts
4431 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote: Yea, it had nothing to do with covid. It was 100% because they were flawed. Hard to ready by cops/traffic/407 cameras.
Even though they're ugly, I wish I had them for those reasons.


+1
chimaican wrote:
Keep only for this reason. Smiling Face With Horns
It's a myth that the blue plates are hard to read by enforcement cameras (407/redlight, etc).

It is only difficult to read for the naked eye when directly behind it with a bright light source (ie: driving behind with your headlights).

Image

One of the plates above is the "blue plates". But can you tell which one? Note that there's a plate cover on the right plate so the quality is worst.
If my security camera can read the plates, you can imagine what the 407 uses.

With that said, I would still keep the blue plates for as long as i can because its unique.
RedFlagDeals.com
See an inappropriate post? Use the "Report Post" function to alert Moderators!
Deal Guru
User avatar
Apr 26, 2004
12654 posts
3032 upvotes
Mississauga
AcidBomber wrote: It is only difficult to read for the naked eye when directly behind it with a bright light source (ie: driving behind with your headlights).
You make this sound like it's NBD.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 7, 2007
5347 posts
3007 upvotes
AcidBomber wrote:
It's a myth that the blue plates are hard to read by enforcement cameras (407/redlight, etc).

It is only difficult to read for the naked eye when directly behind it with a bright light source (ie: driving behind with your headlights).
First you say... it's a myth.

Then you say... but it is true, under some conditions you cannot read them.

Smiling Face With Open Mouth


Your pictures prove ALL Ontario plates are hard to read. I see an orange square reflection obstructing the view of the camera. LOL


Joking


Edited to clarify I am joking, before people start bit**ng as usual
Last edited by Guest032984237 on Aug 26th, 2021 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
______________________________
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
19433 posts
22549 upvotes
GTA
AcidBomber wrote: It's a myth that the blue plates are hard to read by enforcement cameras (407/redlight, etc).

It is only difficult to read for the naked eye when directly behind it with a bright light source (ie: driving behind with your headlights).

Image

One of the plates above is the "blue plates". But can you tell which one? Note that there's a plate cover on the right plate so the quality is worst.
If my security camera can read the plates, you can imagine what the 407 uses.

With that said, I would still keep the blue plates for as long as i can because its unique.
It depends on the angles. If you can't read it from some angles, then a camera would typically have the same problem at the same angle.
Even without the camera that means that you can't read and report the license if needed.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 8, 2014
25947 posts
10680 upvotes
Socially Distanced
AcidBomber wrote: It's a myth that the blue plates are hard to read by enforcement cameras (407/redlight, etc).
Well then lets bring them back
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)