Entertainment

Are you still watching Movies/TV Shows on disc?

• Last Updated:
  • May 4th, 2020 6:47 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18620 posts
2350 upvotes
Woodbridge

Are you still watching Movies/TV Shows on disc?

What a PITA! lol

It took over two minutes (4 minutes on my Toshiba HD-XA2 HD-DVD player) for the movie to start playing.

I forgot all the BS you needed to skip just to get to the main menu.

Out of boredom, I took my Sony BD-S760 and my collection out of the closet. Nothing connected on my Samsung Q60 so figured why not. Surprised they still work.

Watching DOGMA. My second favorite from Kevin Smith.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
28 replies
Deal Addict
May 31, 2009
1593 posts
495 upvotes
Yeah but the HD-DVD players were notoriously slow (my HD-A1 currently sitting under my bed) I’m still a disc player buyer for my movies and will stream movies as well. Still get a better picture and sound from disc then a stream. I didn’t shell out a crap ton of money on my equipment to not watch my movies in the best way possible. . . .plus I still like my 3D movies. Currently using my Oppo-203 (region free) and a JVC NX7 4K projector as my main source for my movie watching
[external link removed]
Jan 21, 2013
705 posts
183 upvotes
in a bubble
seriously? you cant wait 2-4 mins to watch a movie?.. Ive got nothing but time...& Plenty of dvd's.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
3734 posts
1654 upvotes
ammaretto wrote: seriously? you cant wait 2-4 mins to watch a movie?.. Ive got nothing but time...& Plenty of dvd's.
Bahaha, remember the good old days when we used to enjoy going to theatres like the Cineplex movie chain? We'd be forced to watch 10 to 15 minutes of ads combined with trailers before the movie started.

Ah, the good old days of seeing movies in a cinema and watching 15 minutes of trailers pre-COVID-19. I f**king really miss seeing movies in a theatre! Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
10052 posts
2010 upvotes
Victoria
Yah, I still watch blurays for movies, because the quality is amazing. For TV shows I've been getting lazier and using streaming where possible.

I never understood why bluray/dvd's need all those warnings. Pirates lob them off in the pirated version. The only people that see the warnings are the legit customers :(
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
13025 posts
2300 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Yep, those movie studios never got it, except maybe Warner Bros. First play should always be the movie (or copyright warnings). Menus should be opt in. No one ever complained that CD-DA didn't have a menu.
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10020 posts
877 upvotes
Toronto
i just singed up for netflix lol lots of movies but it older.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Jan 21, 2013
705 posts
183 upvotes
in a bubble
Mr_Fanta wrote: Bahaha, remember the good old days when we used to enjoy going to theatres like the Cineplex movie chain? We'd be forced to watch 10 to 15 minutes of ads combined with trailers before the movie started.

Ah, the good old days of seeing movies in a cinema and watching 15 minutes of trailers pre-COVID-19. I f**king really miss seeing movies in a theatre! Face With Tears Of Joy
im so old i remember standing for the national anthem. '-)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
5057 posts
2863 upvotes
Toronto
I recently stumbled upon my box of ripped DVDs from the 00s.

Reflecting back, it was kinda neat at that time to just burn things, and lend them out with little or less worry about a return.
Used to swap around with a good group of friends.

I bailed from physical media as early as possible - went digital post dvd, and totally skipped blueray.
What were the early days competitors for blueray?
Wasn't it a year or two (or more?) where blueray wasn't for certain top dog?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
9140 posts
3553 upvotes
I buy 4K UHD blu-rays and the difference is staggeringly better with HDR and real 4K.
I use an 4K LG C9 OLED TV, which is one of highest rated models and a Panasonic UB820 on my main TV.

The Greatest Showman looks and sounds like crap on NetFlix compared to the 4K UHD Blu-ray.
It is outstanding on 4K format.

top-4k-uhd-hdr-blu-ray-recommendations-2329335/

I also use XBox One X's to play 4K UHD discs and they do a good job too but not at the same fidelity as the Panasonic UB820.
bembol wrote: What a PITA! lol

It took over two minutes (4 minutes on my Toshiba HD-XA2 HD-DVD player) for the movie to start playing.

I forgot all the BS you needed to skip just to get to the main menu.

Out of boredom, I took my Sony BD-S760 and my collection out of the closet. Nothing connected on my Samsung Q60 so figured why not. Surprised they still work.

Watching DOGMA. My second favorite from Kevin Smith.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
10052 posts
2010 upvotes
Victoria
shikotee wrote: I recently stumbled upon my box of ripped DVDs from the 00s.

Reflecting back, it was kinda neat at that time to just burn things, and lend them out with little or less worry about a return.
Used to swap around with a good group of friends.

I bailed from physical media as early as possible - went digital post dvd, and totally skipped blueray.
What were the early days competitors for blueray?
Wasn't it a year or two (or more?) where blueray wasn't for certain top dog?
Yah it was HD DVD vs. Bluray. HD DVD looked to win in the early days of the race. Sony then made a few moves that made them win in short order. The PS3 came default with a bluray player so millions of people had one by default. Then they threw money at content companies to only release on bluray. HD DVD went under in short order after the 2nd one.

I had both for a while. I bought a plug in device for my xbox 360 that played HD DVDs. Luckily I didn't buy too many of them.

I seem to like both physical and digital media. I have a pretty substantial bluray collection and a pretty decent record collection. I also use Netflix and Prime quite a bit.

With video games i'm 100% digital. I love being able to play whatever game I want without swapping discs. Whereas bluray's have superior picture and audio quality, digital video games are the same as physical. No benefit, unless you want to collect, or like to trade them in. Neither of which I do.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2012
7394 posts
989 upvotes
Ottawa
I still buy DVDs and Blurays, but I copy them to my file server and play them back using Kodi.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
13025 posts
2300 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
zod wrote: Yah it was HD DVD vs. Bluray. HD DVD looked to win in the early days of the race. Sony then made a few moves that made them win in short order. The PS3 came default with a bluray player so millions of people had one by default. Then they threw money at content companies to only release on bluray. HD DVD went under in short order after the 2nd one.
The final straw for HD-DVD was when one of the studios (I think Paramount, but maybe it was Warner Bros) who went from both formats to being BD exclusive. It's a shame because a consumer should run the other way when they see Apple, Disney, and Sony working together. Too bad guys like Dolphin were more focussed on the tech spec superiority of BD. Oh well, BD didn't last long being relevant, no matter how much Bill the Doss hunt boasted how great it was.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2016
2390 posts
606 upvotes
Ontario
Its faster than trying to find something to watch on Netflix.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
10052 posts
2010 upvotes
Victoria
rabbit wrote: The final straw for HD-DVD was when one of the studios (I think Paramount, but maybe it was Warner Bros) who went from both formats to being BD exclusive. It's a shame because a consumer should run the other way when they see Apple, Disney, and Sony working together. Too bad guys like Dolphin were more focussed on the tech spec superiority of BD. Oh well, BD didn't last long being relevant, no matter how much Bill the Doss hunt boasted how great it was.
Yah.,... sort of like how people did mind giving up some audio quality for smaller more portable files, most people don't mind giving up some quality for the ease of us (and cost) that digital streaming benefits.

It was different when I started my bluray collection. Streaming wasn't a thing yet. I only have about 20 dvd's so I wasn't rebuilding a collection yet again. With 4k blurays.... I don't think I'd rebuy my whole collection. Maybe the odd favourite...
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2009
5056 posts
2241 upvotes
Ordering a disc from amazon and sticking it in a player versus playing a digital file are basically the same thing.

There is no unique experience. So there is no attachment to physical discs.

Compare this with going to the theater or going to blockbuster back in the day.

Those brought along unique memories or experiences.

A number of people buy a movie on a disc because they remember that experience - or something going on in their lives at the time - fondly.

For the most part, how media is consumed is not important to the experience and this part of why it's so easy to throw away the discs.

I sold most of my collection when people started to basically throw away music CDs and it became apparent that it was going to happen to movies.

More people have connections to music and if they were willing to toss CDs, it was merely time before something like streaming would come.

Criterion discs used to go for $30-40 quite easily .... but now $10-15 is a struggle. Mainstream movies? Now? $1 to $5 on the high end?

They really don't hold their value at all.

Do you want to pay $20 for something that will lose 90% of it's value?
Deal Addict
May 31, 2009
1593 posts
495 upvotes
Well the digital copies that come with them are handy. Unload your movies for a profit if you like and still have a copy to watch if stuck in the situation we are now in. Most are even updating some of the older digital copies to 4K. So lose 90% on disc, but it’s the same price of a digital copy of the movie which you also get. Just hope another Flixster doesn’t show up and cause another potential digital disaster.

Plus the value is different from person to person (on the sentimental/emotional level)
[external link removed]
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18620 posts
2350 upvotes
Woodbridge
I had 1,100 DVD's, spent so much on my Theatre, especially when HD came out, sold the DVD's and upgraded with over 300 Blu-ray Disc & HD-Dvd's.

Now...

All gone I have Samsung Q60, the two players and down to 89 titles all together.

Guess what I bought most of them on Apple TV, can't even say iTunes anymore either and Google Play.

FML. What a lost I took.

ammaretto wrote: seriously? you cant wait 2-4 mins to watch a movie?.. Ive got nothing but time...& Plenty of dvd's.
Of course I do, we all have the time these days. I was just stating how long it took.

It does compare to watching it in the theatres with ads, promos and trailers.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)