• Last Updated:
  • Jun 28th, 2020 9:25 am
[OP]
Mar 22, 2020
141 posts
91 upvotes

Are you transitioning to the ‘new normal?’

Hi Everyone,

I am currently staying home and an able to work from home (in the short term) as I work through cancer treatment but I am curious what most people are doing.

I believe there will be a second wave and I think it may be worse than the first but is seems that the combination of the measures put in place combined with the start of summer (not usually the height of infectious diseases) that even with a number of big events (Bellwood Park, protests, etc) that E numbers really are coming down. So I do under why some people are choosing to go out and about more.

So I’m curious, what choices are you making and why?
15 replies
Penalty Box
Mar 28, 2017
278 posts
156 upvotes
I'm still working. I'm in construction so can't work from home. In terms of everyday life I still go out for food and walk my dogs. Less shopping tho since nothing is really open , and I hate lines up. The only thing that has change is I haven't seen my mom in over 3 months.
Penalty Box
Dec 20, 2004
5280 posts
1268 upvotes
Toronto
Canoes4Fun wrote: I believe there will be a second wave and I think it may be worse than the first
Out of curiosity, other than the fear/sensationalism spread by media headlines, do you have any objective reason to believe this will be the case? As far as I can see we have no evidence whatsoever to suggest there will be a "second wave worse than the first".

IMO now that the media has realized that the "first wave" is over and we fared well (ie we never came remotely close to overwhelming our medical system), the only way of keeping peoples' attention is to spread fear of a "second wave" (oh no!), and people seem to be buying into this remarkably easily.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2015
3083 posts
27428 upvotes
Toronto, ON
The summer heat is keeping this virus relatively dry and not spreading to the masses. They expect with the weather change, there will be another spread, but I've been outside in winter here, and there's usually not much going on. In the summer, there's people tanning, biking, walking, playing soccer, walking dogs, playing throwing games with dogs, etc. In effect, the world is trying to subdue everyone to the rhetoric what if? and it's been keeping up with tugging at people's emotions. I feel everywhere you go you should be comfortable, but if you can't enjoy it as much during this epidemic, because you're prone to a new routine, I think it's hit everyone. Everyone is trying to enjoy themselves because it's summer, but you get much less in terms of having something worthwhile to do. All in all, everyone will get through it, and for those who it impacts, let's hope it just passes through. Can't say much more or else about it.
[OP]
Mar 22, 2020
141 posts
91 upvotes
gei wrote: Out of curiosity, other than the fear/sensationalism spread by media headlines, do you have any objective reason to believe this will be the case? As far as I can see we have no evidence whatsoever to suggest there will be a "second wave worse than the first".

IMO now that the media has realized that the "first wave" is over and we fared well (ie we never came remotely close to overwhelming our medical system), the only way of keeping peoples' attention is to spread fear of a "second wave" (oh no!), and people seem to be buying into this remarkably easily.
So does this mean you are going to work, visiting friends, going to restaurants? What is your day to day like now?
[OP]
Mar 22, 2020
141 posts
91 upvotes
stinastr wrote: The summer heat is keeping this virus relatively dry and not spreading to the masses. They expect with the weather change, there will be another spread, but I've been outside in winter here, and there's usually not much going on. In the summer, there's people tanning, biking, walking, playing soccer, walking dogs, playing throwing games with dogs, etc. In effect, the world is trying to subdue everyone to the rhetoric what if? and it's been keeping up with tugging at people's emotions. I feel everywhere you go you should be comfortable, but if you can't enjoy it as much during this epidemic, because you're prone to a new routine, I think it's hit everyone. Everyone is trying to enjoy themselves because it's summer, but you get much less in terms of having something worthwhile to do. All in all, everyone will get through it, and for those who it impacts, let's hope it just passes through. Can't say much more or else about it.
So what does your day to day look like?
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2015
3083 posts
27428 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Canoes4Fun wrote: So what does your day to day look like?
Not much right now. A regular day gets me taking multiple walks to a local park, I smoke on my walks, days include some chores and things to list out and get rid of but haven't gotten to most items yet, sitting in front of the computer including here reading up and commenting on some things, sitting on the balcony, walking and talking from afar occasionally. Very basic, I could well be a pioneer in the 1800's before the invention of the car (I haven't gotten into a car in a while just cuz I thought there's nowhere I want to go) out in the prairie except I live right next to the lake, with really nothing to keep me passionate about life, rather just living it like so. I'm ok with this routine for now, but it does get me antsy when I think of years without covid. All in all, it was really all hype, cuz this is the backbone of it. There's just no real meat on the bone in life right now, though most people seem to be living like there's not much going on, I took a slower pace when covid began and am still on those slow gears. Can't really be upbeat when thinking there's a world you're meant to live that gets you on a faster lane, but so far, I just feel lazy, and it's not the heat. Just trying to pace life, hobby and weed, and prob spent too much time on taking things for granted and wish life would branch out when interrupted to start something new with the day. This covid takes us back and gives us a 3rd figurative perspective on how life really is, and if you're too keen on not going out and enjoying life without a threat. The threat is real, as little or far as it is, there's just always more to do, makes you feel flakey and superficial, to keep the dream in your mind alive of whatever you're having to do and to keep going even in trying or strange or different times.

Seems like now they raised the death toll at least twofold and it's a daily occurrence...in a normal part of life. Just being out. Just talking. Just walking. It's in the air. It's on things you may touch. I'm not panicking one bit, but with all the precautions that become routine, I have a hard time unwinding to being totally myself and just enjoying life. Doing something extra, spending a little here and a little there, walking with a stranger that you barely know and talking...it'll adjust, but with summer not being that warm except in windless areas, I'm more inclined that this year will be...well, different, and I don't know what steps I'm taking extra. I haven't worked before this, so I'm still not working, than again, I'd like to make an idea come to life, and in this world, money is divine, and it's not that your idea/product serves no purpose, you have to peruse and keep available a time slot for activity and force yourself to become that person to take it into life. Maybe one day I'll be able to live life happy, fully as I intended, 'til those days, it seems I'm one of the people covid suckered now that it seems everything is going to a dead end. The vaccine isn't the answer but it seems like the only answer they can give and it's date is uncertain, it's just that people won't stop doing less, and I apparently had to close down shop for myself, as all my entertainment was outside myself or my circle. I'm stuck in a vicious loop, where hopefully I can find the answer I seek, why do I seek adventure anywhere but home, and how does home become this adventure and thrill ride. Like a rollercoaster ride that doesn't get you nauseous. Cuz I know I've been spending some days way too much on the computer, like now, I typed out way too much lol. Who the heck is going to read this?
Penalty Box
Dec 20, 2004
5280 posts
1268 upvotes
Toronto
Canoes4Fun wrote: So does this mean you are going to work, visiting friends, going to restaurants? What is your day to day like now?
All of the above, yes. There’s nothing I would really restrict myself from doing, other than things I cannot do because they are closed.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2015
3083 posts
27428 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Maybe what I meant to say was I'm in my winter mode, and it's summer. I might have not defrosted yet.
Jan 21, 2013
577 posts
149 upvotes
in a bubble
Hubby is still working, actually More than ever. i go for grocerys, banking, medication, shopping., public transit. i wear a mask & wash hands alot...do alot of gardening & puzzles & TV....too much dam TV. im not worried about getting sick but am always aware that it might happen.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5003 posts
1798 upvotes
Toronto
Yes, I'm transitioning to the new normal. Or rather, I'm backing away from how things were in the beginning, to something more sustainable while remaining socially acceptable. If businesses want me to wear a mask when I enter, I wear a mask. I try to keep socially distant on the sidewalk and so on. But at the same time I'm no longer aggressively trying to protect myself in terms of staying home unless 100% necessary and buying 2+ weeks of groceries at once and disinfecting my hands every time I touch something and wiping down Amazon boxes that get delivered. At least for me, those kinds of things aren't sustainable for the long term. If I want takeout, I get takeout. I just don't sit in a crowded park and eat it.

I guess it's a change in mindset from "being safe at all costs" to "making good value choices", if that makes sense. Not doing dumb things that would get Doug Ford calling me a yahoo, but at the same time getting on with life.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
8331 posts
2806 upvotes
Canoes4Fun wrote: So does this mean you are going to work, visiting friends, going to restaurants? What is your day to day like now?
Yes, somewhat and yes. Very little change since April other than the kids don't go to school and my in laws come to look after them while my wife and I go to work.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
6331 posts
3232 upvotes
Aurora
There is no "New Normal". It doesn't exist. This is completely Abnormal until we go back to before, which is the only Normal.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1078 posts
516 upvotes
Toronto
DiceMan wrote: There is no "New Normal". It doesn't exist. This is completely Abnormal until we go back to before, which is the only Normal.
Unfortunate thing is, I think that world may have gone. Don't know what the new world will quite look like, but moderately sure it won't be what it was in 2019.