Home & Garden

Your antiquated drill doesn't have a touch screen?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 23rd, 2020 11:52 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7513 posts
8081 upvotes
Vancouver

Your antiquated drill doesn't have a touch screen?

https://gizmodo.com/this-depth-sensing- ... 1844466865

To be fair, there are some genuine applications: laser leveling with adjustable angle, automatic depth sensing.

It's a Kickstarter project. Hope they get the money. :)

Last edited by Scote64 on Jul 22nd, 2020 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2034 upvotes
Toronto
I'm practically a caveman by drill standards.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5550 posts
1773 upvotes
Toronto
Does it take selfie and post to FB twitter after every drill well done? Better be tracking heartbeats and calories too. That's what I need minimum.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11946 posts
7118 upvotes
Paris
Ryobi used to put bubble levels on their drills. Some Walmart style drills still have those.

Having worked in power tool marketing, and launching and failing with fancy crap like this we realized that:
1) pros buy a lot of tools and don’t have time for this stuff
2) people who will rarely ever do more than a deck their whole life want what the pros use
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19435 posts
22552 upvotes
GTA
Ingersoll Rand tools have had displays for years.

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16989 posts
1814 upvotes
Thornhill
All I can say is gimmick gimmick.

One useful feature would be to have power tools that connect together like the Constructicons:

bjl
Last edited by t3359 on Jul 22nd, 2020 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Jan 10, 2017
296 posts
224 upvotes
They lost me at Kickstarter. It’s on the same level as as seen on tv for many items without a guaranteed delivery.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
8651 posts
4897 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Lost me at no hdmi :)
2022: BOC raised 6 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017 to 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
8651 posts
4897 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
boyohboy wrote: C'mon... Still HDMI? Need Usbc
That would be in the professional line while the regular diyer line has hdmi :)
2022: BOC raised 6 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017 to 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10702 posts
3365 upvotes
why would you need a level on a drill, i never am eye level with a drill, maybe for someone who has never used one before, my current dewalt cordless is 14 years old, original batteries, has been through a full cabin gut and reno, 3 decks, 2 fences, varouis other projects, probably 50,000 screws in its lifetime, not to mention i used it when i was a sparky, the thing just wont die.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4797 posts
4542 upvotes
Toronto
rocking23nf wrote: why would you need a level on a drill, i never am eye level with a drill, maybe for someone who has never used one before, my current dewalt cordless is 14 years old, original batteries, has been through a full cabin gut and reno, 3 decks, 2 fences, varouis other projects, probably 50,000 screws in its lifetime, not to mention i used it when i was a sparky, the thing just wont die.
I have an older Ryobi drill with the multiple bubble levels. The only time it's been useful to me is when I need to drill holes perfectly straight down through thick wood and I don't have a drill press, so the "bulls-eye" bubble level on the back of the drill was useful because if I start at a very slight angle, I would be slightly off on the other side. But yeah, it's not necessary 99.9999999% of the time and if I needed this done regularly, I would use a drill press adaptor.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7513 posts
8081 upvotes
Vancouver
jm1 wrote: I have an older Ryobi drill with the multiple bubble levels. The only time it's been useful to me is when I need to drill holes perfectly straight down through thick wood and I don't have a drill press, so the "bulls-eye" bubble level on the back of the drill was useful because if I start at a very slight angle, I would be slightly off on the other side. But yeah, it's not necessary 99.9999999% of the time and if I needed this done regularly, I would use a drill press adaptor.
Anyone who uses a drill much would realize that it can be difficult to hand-hold it at an exact right-angle to the surface in two dimensions, and even more difficult to judge an angle that isn't 90 deg. Sure, some drills have a bubble level that's hard to see, but look at the demo for this drill: It projects a crosshair and circle onto the surface, and you simple move the crosshair into the circle and keep it there as you drill, with your eyes focused on the drill site and not on the tool. That's convenient and accurate, way easier to use than the alternative solutions. We all know what a pleasure it is to use the right tool for the job, and what a pain it is to go back to doing it the half-assed way after you've experienced the right way. I could see this concept succeeding.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16989 posts
1814 upvotes
Thornhill
Scote64 wrote: Anyone who uses a drill much would realize that it can be difficult to hand-hold it at an exact right-angle to the surface in two dimensions, and even more difficult to judge an angle that isn't 90 deg. Sure, some drills have a bubble level that's hard to see, but look at the demo for this drill: It projects a crosshair and circle onto the surface, and you simple move the crosshair into the circle and keep it there as you drill, with your eyes focused on the drill site and not on the tool. That's convenient and accurate, way easier to use than the alternative solutions. We all know what a pleasure it is to use the right tool for the job, and what a pain it is to go back to doing it the half-assed way after you've experienced the right way. I could see this concept succeeding.
I see your point and I can see how it's useful, but it's just that I haven't had to do that in the last 15y of renovations. Whenever I did need to be precise, I just did it on the drill press. I can't see drilling through studs or drywall having to be more accurate than I can eyeball.

Mind you, there may be more specialized uses for it, or amateur users that think it's cool and go for it.

I'd rather have the traditional benefits of weight, RPM, 2 speeds, clutch, keyless chuck, and of course durability to survive daily use. Plus, white tools get dirty easily :)

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products