Automotive

Locked: Which is your car insurance company and how much do you pay for your insurance?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 14th, 2015 9:42 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 27, 2010
27 posts
1 upvote
Toronto

Which is your car insurance company and how much do you pay for your insurance?

I'm shopping around for car insurance for my new 2015 Nissan Murano and I live in Vaughan. My current insurance company is quoting me $2075/year or $175/month. I'm a 30 year old male driver with over 6 years of accident and ticket free driving record. I'm curious as to if I can get even cheaper rates. I tried Kanetix already and what my current insurance company, Johnson and Associates (Unifund), appears to be the cheapest.

My plan is as follows:
Vehicle insured: 2015 Nissan Murano FWD S
Driving history: 6+ years accident and ticket free (6 star driver)
Third Party Liability: $1,000,000
Collision Deductible: $500
Comprehensive Deductible: $300
Annual/Monthly Premium: $2070 / $175

Where do you guys have your insurance and how much do you pay? I feel like there is probably a cheaper company out there that Kanetix is not even telling me.

Thanks!
9 replies
Nov 12, 2013
136 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I'm not sure if you are the same person who posted about this previously. It doesn't matter what other people pay because the rate for each person is different so there is no reason to compare. You will either have to contact an insurance broker to do quotes for you or you will have to spend your time calling each company and doing quotes. No one can tell you what you should be paying based on you posting your info because the rating criteria for each company is different so based on that it may be higher or lower. Keep in mind cheap insurance is not always the best. Hey look I pay less insurance and then you get in an accident and it's the biggest pain in the ass trying to get your claim settled. Also the rates will fluctuate each year so this may be the cheapest now but might change next year. Is it work your time to save a few dollars a month.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2013
1274 posts
258 upvotes
North Vancouver
There's already like 2 threads on this.
[OP]
Feb 27, 2010
27 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
aleks416 wrote: I'm not sure if you are the same person who posted about this previously. It doesn't matter what other people pay because the rate for each person is different so there is no reason to compare. You will either have to contact an insurance broker to do quotes for you or you will have to spend your time calling each company and doing quotes. No one can tell you what you should be paying based on you posting your info because the rating criteria for each company is different so based on that it may be higher or lower. Keep in mind cheap insurance is not always the best. Hey look I pay less insurance and then you get in an accident and it's the biggest pain in the ass trying to get your claim settled. Also the rates will fluctuate each year so this may be the cheapest now but might change next year. Is it work your time to save a few dollars a month.
That's why I guess why I'm asking for people to also post their insurance companies because if I notice a trend with a company with low rates and great feedback then that means it's a worthwhile company that I will probably be calling as a starter which saves me time.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2011
3048 posts
346 upvotes
Toronto
finalepiphany wrote: That's why I guess why I'm asking for people to also post their insurance companies because if I notice a trend with a company with low rates and great feedback then that means it's a worthwhile company that I will probably be calling as a starter which saves me time.
Like everyone has said though, unless they are also in Vaughn, in your same neighbourhood, with the same demographics as you, driving the same car as you, it's completely useless to compare rates between people.
Nov 12, 2013
136 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Your best option may be an insurance broker. Certain insurance companies will only use insurance brokers such as Aviva. It's worth the time to check with one because they will have first hand experience with companies and how their service is. Other than that I would contact companies such as intact as they are large companies and will usually have good service since they are the largest insurance company in Canada. Also Aviva is one of the biggest in Canada and has great claims service. Also you can check out general reviews for companies to see how people have liked their claims service. I hope you will never need to use the claim service because it is not fun getting in an accident. Hope that helps a little.just to give you a heads up the rate you are paying does not seem out of the ordinary. It actually seems pretty decent.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9341 posts
1901 upvotes
Ontario
there are 2 threads just the same as this...
perhaps the mod's can merge...
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2014
2042 posts
3196 upvotes
Onterrible
Like mentioned above, way too many factors to consider on a forum when comparing insurance, but nevertheless:

I imagine this has been relayed in the megathread, but I've used TD Meloche Monnex (think they may have dropped the Meloche Monnex name recently, not sure).

I've actively tried to see if anyone can beat it but none so far. EGM came close.

I think as long as you're a university graduate or have any resemblance of a professional designation you can get a discounted quote done.
[OP]
Feb 27, 2010
27 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
I did try Kanetix and some other brokers and so far it seems like Johnson & Associates offers the best rate at $2070/year