Feb 13, 2017
369 posts
347 upvotes
toronto, ontario

Your Career GOALS and PLANS for 2020!

Promotion and raise?

Career change?

Employer change?

New certification, license, or skills upgrade?

Status quo?
30 replies
Nov 15, 2016
354 posts
235 upvotes
Promotion and raise? Yes, our entire team may get a significant bump in January

Career change? Yes, if a opportunity arises that I align with

Employer change? Yes, see above.

New certification, license, or skills upgrade? Cloud certifications

Status quo? Always challenge yourself and do not settle for status quo.
[OP]
Feb 13, 2017
369 posts
347 upvotes
toronto, ontario
I am seriously contemplating obtaining either the Financial Risk Manager (FRM) designation or Project Management Professional (PMP) designation in 2020.

Interestingly, neither designation will directly help my career advancement---I already possess multiple professional designations---but hopefully I will learn a new and valuable skill set (or two).
May 15, 2019
141 posts
145 upvotes
Glad to be of help toward your PMP credential should you so need.
Mar 3, 2017
67 posts
54 upvotes
PhotoSmurf wrote: Promotion and raise? Expecting to get a promotion to Senior Accountant by end of this year. Joined a company, got taken over, and have been doing the work of the old senior. Boss' boss wants to pay me 15% more, my boss and I are aiming for 35% more. I was very underpaid when I took the job.

Career change? No. I am happy in my career for the most part. If I HAD to change a career, likely go into sales

Employer change? Absolutely if my employer doesn't follow through on promotion & raise. I am 35% underpaid compared to colleagues & market. Hell, I could take a gig for 15-20% more and cut my commute time in half. Thing is, it's hard to laterally change positions when you're relatively new at it.

New certification, license, or skills upgrade? Boss was able to get some training $ approved in budget. I'll likely take some of that and do some manager/leadership type courses. Nice boost to my CPA PD hours...

Status quo? Never. I work in the resource industry and things can and often change on a dime in that world.
Comments in bold.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
42095 posts
6648 upvotes
Obtain CISM or CCSK. Get raise and/or promotion into a senior role.
Proud to be an Indian.
675 posts
377 upvotes
ProductGuy wrote: You must work at BMO...
Hah, no but here's a good story... I was interviewing there and was one of the final two candidates with a good friend. He ended up getting that particular role and I ended up at rbc. Unfortunately, he ended up getting canned this year so I really lucked out.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1340 posts
1178 upvotes
angrybanker wrote: Hah, no but here's a good story... I was interviewing there and was one of the final two candidates with a good friend. He ended up getting that particular role and I ended up at rbc. Unfortunately, he ended up getting canned this year so I really lucked out.
Lucky! RBC is the only one of the big 5 that continued to do well in earnings this year. BMO with the large restructuring and CIBC with the bad results.
Sep 28, 2013
675 posts
377 upvotes
ProductGuy wrote: Lucky! RBC is the only one of the big 5 that continued to do well in earnings this year. BMO with the large restructuring and CIBC with the bad results.
Rbc had a terrible year in my division (by its standards) but I will say this - RBC is highly protective of its juniors in terms of pay / job security, at least in Canada. I have never heard of a single junior being laid off and that's not something I could say about any other big 5. Can wholeheartedly say I think very highly of the company in this regard and I do consider myself lucky to work there.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 8, 2007
5084 posts
1260 upvotes
angrybanker wrote: Not getting canned would be a start
This guys a banker.
Mark77 wrote:"All aspiring students should go into the financial services - engineering is, and always has been, a poor choice for our brightest minds ... and TodayHello is my Hero ..."
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1340 posts
1178 upvotes
angrybanker wrote: Rbc had a terrible year in my division (by its standards) but I will say this - RBC is highly protective of its juniors in terms of pay / job security, at least in Canada. I have never heard of a single junior being laid off and that's not something I could say about any other big 5. Can wholeheartedly say I think very highly of the company in this regard and I do consider myself lucky to work there.
Yeah, I read all the earnings reports and RBC did bad on the investment banking side but the rest of the bank did well and balances that out.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
4195 posts
2086 upvotes
It looked like CIBC had a good year if their swanky holiday party at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre was any indication.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1340 posts
1178 upvotes
MyNameWasTaken wrote: It looked like CIBC had a good year if their swanky holiday party at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre was any indication.
They have that every year despite of how they do. Their stock was down 5% after earnings. The bank still made money but it didn’t meet analyst expectations.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
4195 posts
2086 upvotes
ProductGuy wrote: They have that every year despite of how they do. Their stock was down 5% after earnings. The bank still made money but it didn’t meet analyst expectations.
Ahh didn't know that. Thanks!
Apr 20, 2015
373 posts
77 upvotes
Bolton, ON
PhotoSmurf wrote: Promotion and raise? Hopefully to Senior Service Desk Analyst, which should come with a raise

Career change? No

Employer change? If the opportunity arises

New certification, license, or skills upgrade? Microsoft 365 Certified: Modern Desktop Administrator Associate
Nov 9, 2005
841 posts
227 upvotes
Promotion and raise? - Promotion already in the works

Career change? - No

Employer change? - No

New certification, license, or skills upgrade? - Higher level MS Azure cert/CISSP