Shopping Discussion

Your Experience with Walmart Vision Center of Fitting New Prescription Lens for Old Eyeglasses Frames?

• Last Updated:
  • May 29th, 2019 1:30 pm
[OP]
Feb 27, 2011
989 posts
150 upvotes
Toronto

Your Experience with Walmart Vision Center of Fitting New Prescription Lens for Old Eyeglasses Frames?

I read several threads posted here previously about the hit-and-miss selection of frames at Walmart Vision Center. However, I am asking here about the lens quality from Walmart as I want to refit a new prescription for an existing pair of old eyeglasses frames I already own. Is there really that much difference between boutique stores and other large chains (like Lenscrafter or Hakim) and Walmart or Costco? I checked with Costco, but Costco will not do new prescription sunglasses for old frames, whereas Walmart will do for both eyeglasses and sunglasses.

Any advice will be much appreciated. Any other places (online or stores in GTA) I should check out?
2 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
3209 posts
1827 upvotes
Edmonton
shyhermit wrote: I read several threads posted here previously about the hit-and-miss selection of frames at Walmart Vision Center. However, I am asking here about the lens quality from Walmart as I want to refit a new prescription for an existing pair of old eyeglasses frames I already own. Is there really that much difference between boutique stores and other large chains (like Lenscrafter or Hakim) and Walmart or Costco? I checked with Costco, but Costco will not do new prescription sunglasses for old frames, whereas Walmart will do for both eyeglasses and sunglasses.

Any advice will be much appreciated. Any other places (online or stores in GTA) I should check out?
This is not entirely correct. Costco will do new prescription sunglasses for old frames if they supplied the frames. They will still even guarantee the frames if they are less than a year old.
Nov 10, 2011
2 posts
I used Walmart to fill my frames several times, both for regular frames and sunglasses. I was very satisfied with their service. One pair of sunglasses developed spotty areas, I brought them back and Walmart redid the tint without question. For the regular glasses, I went in for minor repairs and was always treated well.
I would not hesitate to use their service.