• May 20th, 2019 9:49 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
3864 posts
1739 upvotes
Mississauga

Your fav home made beef burger recipe.

How do you make yours? Plain been or mix-ins? Lets hear it.
17 replies
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12082 posts
6964 upvotes
Markham
S&P or you call it meat loaf patty.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
11959 posts
2463 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: S&P or you call it meat loaf patty.
This.

No eggs or bread crumbs.

I just take medium ground beef and directly form patties (with as little manipulating as possible), sprinkle salt and pepper and cook. Don't mash it all together and mix in a bowl, then make a ball and then flatten it out... that ruins the texture.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12999 upvotes
cRaZyRaVr wrote: Plain been
I usually prefer Beef.
or mix-ins? Lets hear it.
That's a meatloaf.
Aug 29, 2012
227 posts
149 upvotes
SURREY
My favorite and quickest way to cook a burger is to take 2 oz ball of ground beef and smash it into a hot cast iron pan. Season with salt and pepper, flip add cheese and it's done. Grilling burgers just aren't as good anymore.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2007
2681 posts
641 upvotes
Whitby
I grind 50/50 pork and beef to get to around 30% fat. Pictures in the BBQ thread. In saying that though I have also done burger/dogs (hot dog and stuff wrapped in hamburger) but my favourite is beer can burgers. Not for the faint of heart. Hamburger wrapped in bacon stuffed with grilled onions and cheese. Mine were the ones with blue cheese. Defibrillator not included.
Images
  • FB_IMG_1558039237365.jpg
  • FB_IMG_1558039075643.jpg
  • FB_IMG_1558039224703.jpg
  • FB_IMG_1558039091516.jpg
  • FB_IMG_1558039250516.jpg
It's pronounced Throat Wobbler Mangrove
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
44605 posts
7687 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
raymondly wrote: I grind 50/50 pork and beef to get to around 30% fat. Pictures in the BBQ thread. In saying that though I have also done burger/dogs (hot dog and stuff wrapped in hamburger) but my favourite is beer can burgers. Not for the faint of heart. Hamburger wrapped in bacon stuffed with grilled onions and cheese. Mine were the ones with blue cheese. Defibrillator not included.
Lol this man made a hot dog burger!
Aubergine Hamburger
May 26, 2009
169 posts
134 upvotes
Calgary
Smash Burger, but smash before cooking, do not smash in the pan. Take 4-6oz ground beef (80/20 mix), form a meatball, place between 2 sheets of plastic wrap or parchment paper and smash it down on the counter using a dinner plate. Press down hard. Burger should be about an 8th of an inch thick. (it will thicken up once cooked) Heat up cast iron pan (use a cast iron instead of non stickpan as this gives the best crust). Lightly oil pan if desired, but not necessary as the rendered fat will make it non stick. Once pan is hot, turn down stove to med high. Place burger into pan. Season the raw side. I usually use seasoning salt but plain salt, or steak spice works as well. Cook for 1.5-2 minutes. A nice crust should form. Flip. Don't season the other side or it will be too salty. Cook for another 1.5-2min. Done.
Oct 30, 2018
35 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
I also love just taking the ground beef form into patties then season with salt and pepper before throwing into a skillet. Usual favourite toppings are caramelized onions, fried egg, and gochujang.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9501 posts
1816 upvotes
Toronto
Meat loaf style because that plain stuff is just meh.
May 28, 2012
11145 posts
3278 upvotes
Saskatoon
I posted my burger recipe in the past and was told it was meatloaf. I have since switched to the pure beef patties from Costco (fresh, not frozen). Just add salt, pepper and a splash of Worcestershire. I still like the flavour of my "meatloaf" patties but the family like the larger plain burgers.
Apr 12, 2005
933 posts
169 upvotes
very finely minced onion
fresh ground pepper
worcestershire sauce
hot sauce
dash of soy sauce
dont over work. Keep the patties as loose as possible
Dec 8, 2015
297 posts
148 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Minced onion, blk pepper, Lea and Perrins sauce, garlic powder, and the old 1970's Lipton's onion soup mix. Sometimes old style is the best style.Winking Face
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
9157 posts
3410 upvotes
jemjem9 wrote: Minced onion, blk pepper, Lea and Perrins sauce, garlic powder, and the old 1970's Lipton's onion soup mix. Sometimes old style is the best style.Winking Face
This is very close to mine but I also add finely chopped mushrooms.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
9239 posts
3569 upvotes
My parents were a bit Canadian-culture challenged so for burgers my mother would make meatloaf-style things in a pan and make a gravy out of the fat that came off of them ("Bouletten") There are a few different standard ways of making them but a beef-pork mix is common and tourtiere-like clove spicing is one variation. I'd fake like they were hamburgers but most of the time there was only rye bread or buns in the house and it sucked. Never had a Big Mac until I moved out, and then there was no looking back from just meat, salt and pepper.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
11636 posts
2141 upvotes
Toronto
S&P, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne, and squirt some ketchup and mustard in it.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15193 posts
4924 upvotes
Here 'n There
Veggie burger or Beyond Meat burger all the way... Except for the hamburger I had in Galway, Ireland a few years ago that was made from ground beef from the shoulder of a cow and then seasoned only with salt and pepper. So delish.
Last edited by eonibm on May 20th, 2019 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6201 posts
607 upvotes
BC
Very fine cut onion and garlic, salt and pepper.. then onto the pellet grill. Had some tonight, delish!!
That's my 2cents worth