Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
22170 posts
825 upvotes
Newmarket
death_hawk wrote: I need AT LEAST 2.
For safety reasons I use fresh tongs to handle cooked meat to eliminate cross contamination.
More if I'm doing other things that require tongs as well.

It's nice having 12 pairs around.
Im the same way, plus, I don't run the dishwasher every day, so if I used them for dinner, they might not be clean and ready for the next meal I cook.
So we have 3 or more of things like tongs, ladles, spatulas.
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18841 posts
1954 upvotes
Elmira
death_hawk wrote: I need AT LEAST 2.
For safety reasons I use fresh tongs to handle cooked meat to eliminate cross contamination.
More if I'm doing other things that require tongs as well.

It's nice having 12 pairs around.
i do the same thing. different set of tongs to handle the meats once they are fully cooked.

don't have the room to double let alone triple up on things like ladles or spatulas though. tongs are different
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
My entire oven door handle is covered in tongs and my drawer is full of spoonulas. There's probably 2 or 3 ladels in there too.
Since commercial small wares are DIRT cheap, I don't feel bad when I have 12 of every tool.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2007
1197 posts
694 upvotes
After working in a restaurant for 4.5 years and using a multitude of tongs, I have found that I like the absolutely cheapest dollar store ones the best. I absolutely hate the more expensive ones that lock when they are closed. Buy 5 pairs of dollar store tongs and you're set for anything but really hot BBQ work, where you'll need longer ones. I have a nice pair of Weber tongs that are great on the Q, although sometimes I'll just use my cheap ones if I'm working with 350-400 degrees.

Some kitchen tools are totally worth the money (good mixer, great knives, etc) but tongs aren't one of them.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
1013 upvotes
N/A
richardvoyageur wrote: After working in a restaurant for 4.5 years and using a multitude of tongs, I have found that I like the absolutely cheapest dollar store ones the best. I absolutely hate the more expensive ones that lock when they are closed. Buy 5 pairs of dollar store tongs and you're set for anything but really hot BBQ work, where you'll need longer ones. I have a nice pair of Weber tongs that are great on the Q, although sometimes I'll just use my cheap ones if I'm working with 350-400 degrees.

Some kitchen tools are totally worth the money (good mixer, great knives, etc) but tongs aren't one of them.
what i do not like about the cheap tongs is the RAPID heat transfer. these things get hot real fast.
i just bought one of those tongs that are spatula shaped to make turning over fish easier.
“Children see magic because they look for it.”

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)