• Last Updated:
  • Mar 10th, 2018 11:14 pm
[OP]
Feb 25, 2014
16 posts
3 upvotes
Montr

Your favourites cities in Asia ?

which would be your favourite cities (to travel ) and why ? Maybe a top 3 or 5 to see more answers
34 replies
May 11, 2008
732 posts
293 upvotes
Vancouver
For me in no particular order:
1. Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia - I've got a lot of relatives there and it's always nice to visit, a lot of good food to
2. Chiang Mai, Thailand - A slower pace then Bangkok or Phuket, great night markets, plenty to see (temples, zip line, sanctuaries, etc)
3. Bagan, Myanmar - Really laid back, so many temples, good food and really nice people
4. El Nido, Philippines - Plenty of beaches and islands around, stuff is pretty cheap still
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
3610 posts
509 upvotes
I love big cities with organic street patterns (non-grid) and great public transport, so my favourites that I have been to are:
(1) Tokyo
(2) Bangkok
(3) Shanghai
(4) Hong Kong
(5) Seoul

Non-big cities / beaches:
(1) Krabi / Koh Phi Phi
(2) El Nido
(3) Siem Reap (Angkor Wat)
(4) Halong Bay
(5) Yangshuo
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
2560 posts
521 upvotes
Toronto
Bangkok.

that's the first one pops out in my mind.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1389 posts
309 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
We haven't visited many cities in Asia, but the ones we liked were:

1) Chiang Mai, Thailand - beautiful old temples and easy to get around (in the old part of the city anyway)
2) Bangkok, Thailand - our first encounter with Asia and we loved the craziness of it all: traffic every, very interesting combination of old and modern
3) Hanoi, Vietnam - we liked Hanoi better than Ho Chi Minh City, especially the old quarter. The buildings were older and the streets narrower, it had a lot of character.
Banned
Dec 22, 2017
322 posts
131 upvotes
Depends entirely on what you like..in no particular order it's the ones below for me

Osaka
Hong Kong
Sapporo
Kuala Lumpur (include pennang, Langkawi )
Taipei
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2017
1250 posts
1193 upvotes
Tokyo
Hong Kong
Taipei

I like the food, the goods and the cultures
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
19533 posts
592 upvotes
Shanghai, China
Hong Kong
Taipei
Tokyo

To be honest, it's kind of hard to pick.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
2096 posts
2197 upvotes
Taipei is pretty awesome. I could wander that city for days (and nights) and never get bored.
Singapore speaks to me a lot as well.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1932 posts
822 upvotes
HK
Depends what you are looking for OP.

In no particular order for me:
-Hoi An, VN
-Bangkok, TH
-Busan, SK
-Kyoto, JP
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
11693 posts
1895 upvotes
Mississauga
In no particular order:

Hong Kong, China - Not a whole lot to see in terms of sights, but it has a wonderful frenetic energy and amazing food.

Chiang Mai, Thailand - Has a great relaxed vibe with lots of cool things to see and do in and around the area

Hanoi, Vietnam - Great mix between the atmospheric Old Quarter and stately French Quarter

Hoi An, Vietnam - The historic centre is so charming and pretty

Siem Reap, Cambodia - Love the tourist-oriented centre coupled with the quieter streets that you can bike around. The nearby temples of Angkor are phenomenal of course.
Nov 23, 2015
727 posts
405 upvotes
Winnipeg
I've been to a bunch of places in China and Japan and Hong Kong is hands down my favourite.

Some deride it as "China lite" which I suppose in some ways it kind of is. But it's an amazing city unlike any other I've been to, and the kicker is that for someone like me who only speaks English and French, HK is a very accessible city because English is fairly widely used there.

Sure in a place like Nanjing you get the "more authentic" Chinese experience, but when you can't read the signs, restaurant menus or the headlines in the local newspapers, it limits the amount of interaction you can really have unless there's someone local helping you.

Kyoto gets the runner-up mention. It gives you a good sense of modern Japan but the history there is incredible. Gion at night is like another world, just a fantastic experience.
Jan 8, 2012
626 posts
386 upvotes
Williams Lake
I always wanted to visit Hong Kong, as it's the setting for my favourite novel, but never thought I'd get the chance.

It was the first "foreign" city I'd visited (though as 56kbps points out, it's not too "foreign"), and it was even better than I'd envisioned.

First night there I went up the Peak and just stood there, (slightly more) stupified (than normal). I can't describe what that view does for me. I spent the rest of my time there visiting various places mentioned in the book and had a spectacular time.

As also mentioned, there isn't a large number of typically touristy things to do there, vs. say, Tokyo. But it has enough things to justify a three or four day trip, for sure.

Same trip I went to Hanoi, almost by accident. I was looking for a contrast to Hong Kong within my flight budget, and Hanoi fit the bill. It's small, hectic, much less polished than Hong Kong, and very "real", if that makes any sense. It has very few typically touristy things to do, but that doesn't prevent it being a a special city.

Tokyo. A clock-work city. I spent two days in San Francisco before going to Tokyo, and I saw more garbage walking up the steps of the Powell Street BART station than I did in five days in Tokyo. That's not an exaggeration.

Every thing works perfectly, everyone is polite, they queue for the subway, etc etc. Departing, I took a bus to Haneda airport, and as we stopped at each terminal, the employees helping passengers with their luggage lined up and bowed as the bus pulled out. It was the perfect ending to my visit.

I know that formalism masks the reality, and that the social pressure that imposes it is seen as a negative by some (many?), but I found it fascinating.

It's also full of fun things to see and do so even if you're not looking for some deep sociological insight, it's still a must-see city.

Those are my top three. And I think if you were looking for three cities that provide unique SE/Asian experiences, they'd be excellent choices.
Last edited by wudtsilake on Mar 5th, 2018 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
11693 posts
1895 upvotes
Mississauga
wudtsilake wrote:
Same trip I went to Hanoi, almost by accident. I was looking for a contrast to Hong Kong within my flight budget, and Hanoi fit the bill. It's small, hectic, much less polished than Hong Kong, and very "real", if that makes any sense. It has very few typically touristy things to do, but that doesn't prevent it being a a special city.
Hanoi actually has a higher population than HK, although the latter has a higher density.
Nov 23, 2015
727 posts
405 upvotes
Winnipeg
Talamasca wrote: Hanoi actually has a higher population than HK, although the latter has a higher density.
The density of HK is really what makes it... HK has only like a million more people than Houston, but while Houston just feels like a big Edmonton, HK feels like an epic megacity teeming with life that only NYC can even come close to matching among North American cities. It's exceptional.